The TAP crap via AT T is piece of crap!!

dereksbicycles

Reaction score
I'm not a happy camper!! I figured that maybe if I bought my audiogram and showed that I was deaf, I would get an AT T phone and pay $45 per month.. They made it hard for me. Seems like I would be charged what hearing people pay and I just have to fax in form. It would take 4-6 weeks for me them to give credit and change bill to $45 a month. I don't want to through all this crap!! Why cannot I just pay $45 to start with.

I think I will go via Verizon or even US Cellular so that I don't have to go through all this crap!!

So how do I get $45 for AT T. I just want to be able to bring my audiogram when I get AT T phone and be done with.

If you didn't already go there, the following is a link to AT&T's Text Accessibility Plan, which includes a link for their application and certification form (you need to print and fill out the application and get your audiologist/ENT/or other qualified health care professional to fill out the certification form, I don't think they will accept your audiogram in place of the filled out and signed certification form, sorry):
AT&T Relay Services | Text Accessibility Plan (TAP)

The following has additional information on the TAP for iPhones if you are interested:
Text Accessibility Plans for iPhone® - Wireless from AT&T

Sorry to hear that they gave you such a hard time. Mine was fairly easy, but that was because I already had a reason to see my audiologist who was nice enough to fill out the certification form while I was there and I just followed ATT's steps (printed application/certification, filled out application, had audiologist fill out certification, went to store & informed them I wanted the TAP, & they faxed the forms). I know it feels like jumping through hoops just so that you don't have to first pay at least $40/month for AT&T voice minutes you won't use since you're deaf simply so you can add the features of text and data for an additional $45/month. They too informed me that it would take 4 to 6 weeks for them to go through their process and then I would be credited back to the date that I first signed up, but the nice thing I noticed was I didn't have to wait to be credited as it was reflected on my very next bill (unfortunately I was also billed $96 for the 240 minutes at $.40/minute that my relatives took to understand I cannot use the phone anymore except for texting and such, grr :roll:. The funny thing is I don't hear from them most of the year until now and they all try to call at once about the holidays. I think I will bill my relatives for that :D). Luckily, I had had a $25 gift certificate, that I consider going towards the voice minutes charges, for being a loyal customer that I used when I updated my plan.

For the wireless carriers you listed, I did a little research for you if you hadn't done it already. As for Verizon, for $35 a month for basic phones you'll get unlimited text messaging, instant messaging, picture messaging, and video messaging and 150 MB data. For $55 a month for blackberry and smartphones you'll get unlimited text messaging, instant messaging, picture messaging, and video messaging, email, and 2 GB data. As for US Cellular, for $30 a month you'll get unlimited text messaging, picture messaging, video messaging and add an extra $3 to that bill for each day you use data. But if you want a lot of data too without it shooting up to $120 for that month, you can get unlimited text messaging, picture messaging, video messaging and 5GB a month for $60.

I didn't have any problem at all with TAP plan. Just like what DeafRaptor said, except all I did was send e-mail with scanned attachment form to my audio and she sign it and she fax it back to me. Then I took the form to ATT. Done deal. Then it took one month to get it adjusted on my billing statement.

I have no problem with AT&T Tap plan as well. I sent a letter to my last audiologist in PA to sign up the form and send it back to me, then I faxed the signed form to the specific department who handles TAP forms. My bill cycle was adjusted to disability plan.

I'm not a happy camper!! I figured that maybe if I bought my audiogram and showed that I was deaf, I would get an AT T phone and pay $45 per month.. They made it hard for me. Seems like I would be charged what hearing people pay and I just have to fax in form. It would take 4-6 weeks for me them to give credit and change bill to $45 a month. I don't want to through all this crap!! Why cannot I just pay $45 to start with.

I think I will go via Verizon or even US Cellular so that I don't have to go through all this crap!!

Are you Deaf?

I didn't have problem with them when I did that years ago. I pay $30 a month plus $5 insurance plus tax with grand total of $36 a month, because I'm on grandfathered plan.

I don't have problem with TAP plan. When they helped me on my tap plan at AT&T store, I had upgraded new smartphone last month. It took 24 to 48 hrs not 4-6 weeks.

You can ask your primary family doctor and they can says and proof that you are deaf. done mine and so my friends did with their doctors instead go to audiology.

My friends and mine doctor, course different doctors, did offer to fax for us to ATT and then get over with it. After doctor fax that where you can use up data plan even they are going to charge you more until they adjust the cost and so on.

Hrmm..I use Virgin Mobile (No contract!). $25 bucks per month for everything unlimited except 300 minutes, but that was the cheapest I could find, and I'm fine with my Android smartphone's functions anyway even it's no Iphone. :)

Great for a poor deaf college student like me. :P

^^^ Same. Used to have AT&T, but Virgin Mobile is way better deal.

I am with Sheila and Botti. I also use Virgin Mobile. I have all the free aps I can use, unlimited data, texts, email, 300 unused voice minutes, no problem at all. I am on the old 25 a month plan. The new plan is 35 a month. This thing rocks. I want the new video phone from them but will wait.
Really pays to check it out.

you have to fill out the paperwork or app or whatever, and get a letter from your ENT doctor or audiologist, then send in the paperwork and letter via fax or mail, and they'll put you on a TAP plan. I had no problem at all when I switched over to AT&T and did the paperwork stuff. I pay about $38 a month total. After they got my fax, they switched me to the TAP plan quickly so I wasn't on the normal plan for very long.

Thank you. I decided to get AT T Captivate Glide phone last night. I have TAP paper with me and will be sent out tomorrow. I'm looking for a smooth transaction.

Thank you. I decided to get AT T Captivate Glide phone last night. I have TAP paper with me and will be sent out tomorrow. I'm looking for a smooth transaction.

your new smartphone does not have LTE capable at this time because there are new LTE network in some cities like Atlanta and NYC. I have HTC Vivid that has LTE capable here.

Hrmm..I use Virgin Mobile (No contract!). $25 bucks per month for everything unlimited except 300 minutes, but that was the cheapest I could find, and I'm fine with my Android smartphone's functions anyway even it's no Iphone. :)

Great for a poor deaf college student like me. :P

Make sure you eat lot of ranom everyday, you'll save plenty $$$ to buy coolest phone in no time.

Anyway, you need to follow up the instruction on how to get TAP, it take being bear with their system.

Back