The Story of a Coda Child

Bear

Reaction score
Am gonna post my source AFTER I tell the story!

Growing up as the child of a deaf adult proved very strenuous. I was always afraid to bring friends home, or introduce people to my parents because they were deaf. I was always afraid that the other kids would make fun of me because my parents were different than everyone else's. I kept their secret hidden, and locked away inside of me.

It was like I was ashamed of their disability because I was afraid it would come back on me and make me look like a freak, make me look different. I turned a blind eye to my mom when she used to ask me if I wanted to learn her language, and how to communicate with her. "why would I want to do that?" "When am I ever going to use it?" I would always ask.

I would see the hurt in her eyes at my reluctance, but I never thought to sit down and actually talk it out with her. I never took the time to become a part of her world, or understand what she was going through, even though she always made an effort to be a part of mine. I watch her as the rest of her hearing diminished. She used to be so lively, so energetic, but I watched that go when the rest of her hearing went.

As I look back now, I often wish that I would have taken the time, and learned her language. As I watch her now, I finally realize that being different isn't always something to be ashamed about. When people say "tell me about your parents?" The first thing I proudly say is "my parents are deaf and they're some of the most brave, amazing people I know."

The usual response I got to that is "Oh my god that is so cool, can you teach me sign language?" When I have to tell that that I never bothered to take the time to learn, and that I dont really know that much sign language, they often look at me with expressions that say "well why in the world not?" All I can tell these people is, "I was ashamed."

Now my mom has all these wonderful friends that think I'm one of the coolest hearing kids they know because I can fingerspell, and I feel like an outsider, a traitor, because I didn't ever want to be a part of their world.

I wish I had though because deaf people are so completely amazing, so accomodating. Their language is one of the most beautiful I have ever seen. The way their hands flow between the different sings, the way there's a different sign for everything, even though in English, we often use the same word to explain different things. They're so easy-going. They make friends easily, and they forge such strong friendships with each other.

Most of the deaf community that I've come into contact with are so close, they're like family. They've never made me feel out of place, or made me feel different, no matter how much I used to resent the fact that my parents were deaf. The experience of being a CODA has proved to be a hardship, but in the end, there are so many rewards that I wouldn't trade it for anything.

The source of this story is my daughter Amanda *last name with held*

:tears: :tears:

Sad stories always seem to make me cry. This is obviously a heart feeling story. I understood her feelings, being honest about her parents isnt always easy, This is one of the excellent story I've read, because it speaks the truth. :)

Thank you Moon flower!

Awww Cheri, I didnt mean to make you cry! And :ty: glad that you enjoyed the story.

This is a wonderful story, and one that can not only be applied to CODA children, but to hearing parents of deaf children. Just reverse the circumstances about efforts to be a part of their world, but no effort exerted to be a part of the deaf child's world.

I would rather to ask for your permission first if I could printed out this story and share it with my family, Is that okay Bear? ;)

What a shame your daughter felt like that growing up. As the deaf mother of two hearing sons, now 31 and 28, I am pretty sure my boys never felt the same way about me. Not going by the number of their mates who traipsed thru our house, often crashing out and staying the night or longer.

I can remember once incidence of my older son telling his mate that I was deaf and the mate not believing him, I had to step in and assure the mate I was indeed deaf....lol

Bear, I am so glad you daughter finally accepted your world.

The source of this story is my daughter Amanda *last name with held*

That's beautiful! Thanks for sharing it with us.

I keep wondering if my daughter will go through a stage of adjustment and social difficulty because her mother is different. She is 5 right now and so far she seems quite okay. She knows I am different and we talk about being deaf a lot. She has expressed outrage over some things in my life that happened to me because I was deaf (long story, Australian immigration dept but happy outcome).

Maybe others whose children went through that stage could share at what age did they become more socially self conscious about having deaf parents?

Cheri yes you may do so!

Raykat, Im glad that your sons had no problem with your deafness. My son also liked the fact that his mother was different, that HE was different. I guess it just showed how truly unique both of my children are.

When I read this, after she showed me, and gave me a copy, I cried. I was like why didnt you ever tell you felt this way? I was more hurt by the fact that she felt that she couldn't tell me, than I was by the fact that she was ashamed of her father and I.

I really liked this story, because it shows how your children can come full circle, without you even realizing it. This is for anything, not only for accepting a deaf parent.

Now as I look at this again, Im thinking god when did she grow up?? LMAOOOOO

Jillio :ty:

R2D2, I never really thought of it as a concern while my kids were growing up. Maybe that is because , I always accepted differences so easily as a child.

I will ask Amanda how old she was when she became socially concience about having deaf parents.

R2D2, I never really thought of it as a concern while my kids were growing up. Maybe that is because , I always accepted differences so easily as a child.

I will ask Amanda how old she was when she became socially concience about having deaf parents.

I didn't think it was a concern either until I came to AD and read some people's'experiences about it and realised that it happens. It's probably something that is entirely normal and natural when it comes to childrens' social development and they get over it in time.

This story is very well written and I am glad to know that your daughter has realized the differences of having a deaf parent, and to be among around the deaf people as well.

It is understandable at a social level, She might feel "out of place" at some time but with that said, It seems like she is about to "open" up to more options.

She is lucky to have you as a mom and you are also lucky to have her as a daughter because both ways goes afar. Together, you two are making a statement and an example to others to show that it can be made. ;)

This story made me cry :tears: ha ha, Bear the story your daughter wrote was that school project or essay she had to do?, It's a beautiful story..I hope she got an A for this.

I didn't think it was a concern either until I came to AD and read some people's'experiences about it and realised that it happens. It's probably something that is entirely normal and natural when it comes to childrens' social development and they get over it in time.

I had never given it any thought either until just recently when meeting Elena who has a 3 yr old and 18mth old. Elena had her implant last July and said she immediately noticed the difference in her son. He was less stressed as she could hear him and he didnt have to wait for attention. I always said that my deafness made my boys more indenpendant and less whingey. They found out very early on that it was no use sitting in the corner whining, they had to come to mum if they wanted something.

I dont want to sound arrogant but maybe the fact that I was never involved in the deaf community made the difference from Bears daughter, they did not have to learn sign to communicate with me, also having a hearing father would have made some difference. But then he was a travelling salesman for most of their younger years so I was often home alone with the boys. In fact the first week home with the older boy I had to work out how to hear him wake for night feeds, fortunately he was a dream baby.

Both my boys and their daughters are coming for dinner tomorrow night so I must ask if they felt any different with a deaf mother.

But then its a well known fact that at some stage all kids are embarrased about their "olds" usually during the teenage years when they think they are soooooo cool..........lol

Jolie ty. I do agree that we are showing that the *worlds* can unite.

This story made me cry :tears: ha ha, Bear the story your daughter wrote was that school project or essay she had to do?, It's a beautiful story..I hope she got an A for this.

Angel the story was wrote for a CODA scholarship. She had to write an essay for a chance to win a CODA scholarship for college. I hope she wins it!

Angel the story was wrote for a CODA scholarship. She had to write an essay for a chance to win a CODA scholarship for college. I hope she wins it!

Wow I hope so too, I'll pray on this. :fingersx:

I'd say that she has a great chance! Wish her good luck for me. It is a wonderful story about the ways the two worlds can be bridged to the benefit of all. And it took great courage for her to be as honest as she was. Youhave a remarkable daughter, Bear.

I'd say that she has a great chance! Wish her good luck for me. It is a wonderful story about the ways the two worlds can be bridged to the benefit of all. And it took great courage for her to be as honest as she was. Youhave a remarkable daughter, Bear.
Well said, Jillio and I agree. She does have a winning chance, and I hope she gets it. ;)

Back