The sign for "way" - that's the "way" I like it!

jaggedstone

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering, would the sign "way" ... as in "That's the way (road) to the church" ... be signed the same if you wanted to say (to quote a song lol) "that's the way I like it"

or would "way" never really be used in the 2nd context, and be exchanged for another word -- ex: "That is how I like it"?

That's PSE isn't it? Yeah it depends on what you sign. ASL PSE SEE etc.

Would be SEE, not PSE.

PSE is just ASL sign in English syntax. SEE actually initalise the bloody signs, which is making it conforming to English grammar.

Anyway, I vote on using HOW.

I only want to use ASL :) Thinking about it more, I guess it can be changed for "how" in pretty much every circumstance

Thank you all for your input!

Another vote for HOW. To sign, "That's the way I like it!" I would be inclined to use HOW in the rhetorical. After setting up whatever it is you're talking about, you could sign ME LIKE HOW? THAT with the THAT sign directed towards wherever you indexed your topic. I imagine most signers wouldn't be confused if you signed it as THAT HOW ME LIKE, but that's very English.

Also you can go to ASLPro.com Home I am not deaf but I don't understand why you would not use an existing sign. There is an ASL sign for way and it is in the context requested. In fact the sign is like making a curvy road with palms in, thumbs up then move forward in a wavy motion. Hard to explain but aslpro has a video that would show you.

Here is another site with a sign for way
http://www.signingsavvy.com/search.php?search=way

I am not sure why you would sign "how" or "that" when you want to sign "way" Can someone explain why you would do that when there is a sign for the word and in the context you want it? :confused:

Also you can go to ASLPro.com Home I am not deaf but I don't understand why you would not use an existing sign. There is an ASL sign for way and it is in the context requested. In fact the sign is like making a curvy road with palms in, thumbs up then move forward in a wavy motion. Hard to explain but aslpro has a video that would show you.

Here is another site with a sign for way
Sign for WAY | ASL Sign Language Video Dictionary

I am not sure why you would sign "how" or "that" when you want to sign "way" Can someone explain why you would do that when there is a sign for the word and in the context you want it? :confused:

In my opinion (someone else can correct me if I'm wrong), it's just another way of saying it.

Even in English, you can interchange the sentence "That's the way I like it" for "That's how I like it"

In my opinion (someone else can correct me if I'm wrong), it's just another way of saying it.

Even in English, you can interchange the sentence "That's the way I like it" for "That's how I like it"
I'm sorry. My brain farted. I read through your first post too fast. I see what the others are saying now. My bad!

i like that site! it's better than aslpro.com! much easier to navigate with.
Just roamed that site and I find it even better than aslpro....even I found these swearing words, nice. :wtflol:

I'm sorry. My brain farted. I read through your first post too fast. I see what the others are saying now. My bad!

The sign for "way" can mean "path", "road", "street", and sometimes something similar to profession.

My rationale for using "that" is that in the context of the question, how to sign "Thats the way I like it", the "way" is not defined and is just an English construction. Since we don't know what the "way" is, we can use "that" or "how". Either could work in ASL.

For SEE, you would sign "way" but keep in mind that ASL doesn't use English constructs or word order so "thats the way I like it" could be signed as "That like I (yes)".
Sign Language Linguistics is pretty interesting. and knowing which sign to use is easier if you have grown up signing.

Back