The role of non-deaf/hoh hearing disabilities in the deaf community

I can go to Deaf socials and hang out with my hearing friends?

Not quite sure I'm following that...

she is saying you could do both....deaf social...... And keep hearing friends.... Alot of people think it's either or

On some days you can attend socials and on some other days you hang out with your hearing friends. You time will fill up more quickly.

Ah, I thought you meant at the same time! Had me scratching my head there...:lol:

I'm good at "sofa-lizing." Have you heard that new word? It means hanging out with your friends via computer while sitting on your sofa! I am really, really good at that. :wave:

Yes, that's what I mean. Joining the Deaf community is not necessarily rejection of the hearing world. I look it as my time when I hang out with Deaf people like me.

Some punctation would have made that clearer. Notice that now. :giggle:

My hubby goes to Deaf socials and he knows very little ASL. He's learning. There are always some hearing people there, too, like terps, Significant others of Deaf people, ASL students, etc.

Well, CAPD is not actually a disorder of hearing loss, but a neurological disorder of audiological processing. So, while you will find that your issues and the issues of the deaf will be somewhat different, I don't see any reason for you to be excluded in an open community like the deaf/hoh community.

But, the Deaf Community is something a bit different. Their whole culture is built on the sameness of Deafness and the issues, both social and personal, with being Deaf and using a language other than what the primary culture uses.
jillo, how would a hearing kid who uses ASL as a first language (ie someone with apraxia or tracheostomy) fit into Deaf culture?
and this is an flashpoint for deaf versus Deaf. Acquired/deafened sectors would also like to see an holistic approach to communication too, which means no more LR-alone or sign-alone approaches, but an inclusive approach.
Passcifist, you really do think that Deaf=voice off. It does not. Deaf people can be hoh too.

There are always some people in every group who are open to meeting different people. You've just got to identify them and get the know them.

I am using some signs at home and the family is finally beginning to pick them up. Hubby knows "start coffee please" and the kids understand "wash & eat" when I call them to dinner. They also know "thank-you, stop, no, yes and bathroom/toilet"

I think that's cool! :)

Yes, that's what I mean. Joining the Deaf community is not necessarily rejection of the hearing world. I look it as my time when I hang out with Deaf people like me.

There is some view this is not the case,and deafened might well form the view that the nature of deaf socializing just further restricts what access they might cultivate otherwise. I've never believed you can just adopt another culture and language and carry on as if nothing before counts, there are many variables including when you go deaf etc.... To attend regular deaf social areas DOES require almost total immersion to participate in, YOU Have to fit in with their ways, they don't have to fit in, or adjust to you. Some also view that approach as 'seductive' in that as it gets easier and less stressful to NOT communicate to hearing, so your lifestyle goes the same way, it's not an criticism as such, if you feel OK my hearing life is done, then by all means integrate with the deaf one, but life isn't that simple is it ? As most who lose hearing at later stages just can't adjust. THESE are the people to whom it is pointless telling them to go to a deaf club or learn to sign, and need quite specialized support not available or wanted by the 'Deaf'. The support areas seems to have totally ignored what is an very pressing need for an separate support system for these people. I suppose it is some sop to 'everyone is equal', but everyone is NOT The same with hearing loss. You don't provide loops for deaf people, or sign language for lip readers with hearing aids.

for any newbies - I started losing my hearing couple of years ago for un-known reasons - am in my 30's...go to things with hearing friends and go to things with Deaf friends.

below quote from Sally's
"My hubby goes to Deaf socials and he knows very little ASL. He's learning. There are always some hearing people there, too, like terps, Significant others of Deaf people, ASL students, etc."

my husband is deaf; he grew up oral, only deaf non-elderly person in his area that he knew of, which was a VERY rural town <town had no stop-lights>. He and I went to a mixed social consisting of my friend who is Deaf, her husband also; some late-deafened and non-signing people, some hoh people including myself. There were also couple of folks there with who were hearing and signed in varying degrees. One of them was with someone who didn't sign at all.
Very eclectic. Everyone worked together and I thought it was fun. My hubby seemed to do ok.

Smaller areas 'muck in' so to speak, ditto I was late deafened and there were NO other deaf people in my village area, certainly none that used sign language and most were very elderly. People you grow up with will maybe accept you, but if you have to work etc elsewhere then your communications much as they get by at home, will not do anywhere else and you will struggle. I took sign lessons, employers said stop wasting their time, there is no use here for it, I tried lip-reading I did some OK a lot of guesswork ! that was an better option, there would be no access on the street if I signed, that was an reality and as I didn't want to adopt an 'cultural lifestyle' there were too many conflicts of identity..

I went to deaf areas in the towns, planet Zog basically, I had no idea what anyone was saying and the lifestyle was not at all what I wanted to live with not even if I acquired good sign skills.... I felt it was an born deaf thing. Sadly there was nothing else, and a lot of deafened people feel very angry there is no set system for them to get help and pushed into deaf areas, with the best will in the world are unsuitable, not because of the sign thing because the lifestyle is not what they wanted, I imagine for born deaf, hearing clubs are not really their preferences either... People who lose hearing don't want to fight Deaf as well as struggle with hearing. There is an lot of isolation and huge support gaps.

Hi! Okay so I've heard a lot of disagreement about what role, if any, non-deaf/hoh, hearing-related disabilities have in the deaf/hoh community. I have auditory processing disorder severe enough that I sometimes feel more comfortable in the deaf community than the hearing one. I've heard people say that all hearing-related disabilities should be welcomed in the deaf community, but I've also heard people say that hearing people should not be considered part of the community regardless of other disabilities. So what do you guys think? Curious to hear different perspectives! :ty:

DISCUSS! :)

I have audio processing disorder too. I'm a little hard of hearing and if I didn't have APD, I would probably be able to communicate with hearing people with alot more ease than I do now. I also feel more comfortable in the Deaf world.

Passivist, I'm late Deafened, so I understand where you're coming from. It's a big adjustment.

Where I live, Deaf events often have CART for the people who don't use sign language. The Deaf Church's Christmas performance was in ASL, CART and voiced. I live in a big city, though. I can see how challenging it would be in a smaller place.

As most who lose hearing at later stages just can't adjust. THESE are the people to whom it is pointless telling them to go to a deaf club or learn to sign, and need quite specialized support not available or wanted by the 'Deaf'. The support areas seems to have totally ignored what is an very pressing need for an separate support system for these people. I suppose it is some sop to 'everyone is equal', but everyone is NOT The same with hearing loss. You don't provide loops for deaf people, or sign language for lip readers with hearing aids
So join a HLAA chapter or an ALDA chapter. We do welcome late deafened people. It's not like we delibratly exclude late deafened people. We do welcome those who want to learn ASL etc.

It's conditional on ASL that's the real point. IF we learn that THEN we can use what the community offers, but this still doesn't offer late-deafened access outside those areas. I think it is such an 'well understood' thing that deaf and cultural integrate and sign, they don't really understand where others come from who enter not really wanting in to that, but still wanting the 'community' feel it has. I suppose rightly 'Deaf' are saying you can't just take bits that suit,that's not how it works, and certainly not ask they change to suit you.

It's an cultural clash I suppose, but unintended. For every late-deafened that does manage to adopt another culture, there are 10 who cannot because they face an reality on the street that hearing and speech rules, and that was part of their culture. It is an battle late-deafened are not winning, in that they are an separate entity and do need separate approaches. It's not about being accepted into deaf culture, because basically that doesn't happen any way, it's because of differing cultures,and different acceptances.

It mostly can seem that late-deafened are like travelers in the desert, forever wandering the wilderness and occasional finding the odd oasis. We need new roots and a new home. Despite being the overwhelming deaf majority, late-deafened are the least 'vocal' about changing things, I've often wondered why. Because they lack that confidence to stand their ground ? unsurprising given their unequal access to communication. Better to visit other cultures than join them perhaps. Just not pretend to be what you aren't.

I showed up at my local Deaf center not knowing a single sign. I was welcomed and my teacher taught me so patiently. If you want to join the Deaf community, you do need to be able to communicate. That means knowing ASL.

You have a lot of self-pity. Pity is what doesn't play well in the Deaf community. Could self-pity be what is keeping you from integrating into the Deaf community. Attitude is everything.

Hi! Okay so I've heard a lot of disagreement about what role, if any, non-deaf/hoh, hearing-related disabilities have in the deaf/hoh community. I have auditory processing disorder severe enough that I sometimes feel more comfortable in the deaf community than the hearing one. I've heard people say that all hearing-related disabilities should be welcomed in the deaf community, but I've also heard people say that hearing people should not be considered part of the community regardless of other disabilities. So what do you guys think? Curious to hear different perspectives! :ty:

DISCUSS! :)

Im the same my CAPD is so serve I feel more at home in Deaf/Deafblind space instead of HEARING space.
Are you able to use both hands to sign with?

People often dont take the time to communicate with picture communication users (
Autism Therapy: picture exchange communication system (PECS) | Healing Thresholds A picture exchange communication system is a form of augmentative and alternative communication (AAC) that uses pictures instead of words(signs) to help children communicate
weather we are talking in sign or speech

Check out the deaf culture subforum and Welcome enjoy the journey into the Deaf world.

Well, CAPD is not actually a disorder of hearing loss, but a neurological disorder of audiological processing. So, while you will find that your issues and the issues of the deaf will be somewhat different, I don't see any reason for you to be excluded in an open community like the deaf/hoh community.

But, the Deaf Community is something a bit different. Their whole culture is built on the sameness of Deafness and the issues, both social and personal, with being Deaf and using a language other than what the primary culture uses. You might find your entrance there a bit more difficult. But it isn't impossible. The Deaf Community has always welcomed me, and I am hearing. But I would caution you to enter on their terms, not yours. That is why I have been welcomed.

jillo, how would a hearing kid who uses ASL as a first language (ie someone with apraxia or tracheostomy) fit into Deaf culture?
Find Deaf people something in common with( plays tennis,likes video games you get the idea) mums ex has down kid who uses full nzsl for communication and has plenty of first language nzsl using friends some Deaf some not

And I dont think the op is a kid

It is an battle late-deafened are not winning, in that they are an separate entity and do need separate approaches. It's not about being accepted into deaf culture, because basically that doesn't happen any way, it's because of differing cultures,and different acceptances.

It mostly can seem that late-deafened are like travelers in the desert, forever wandering the wilderness and occasional finding the odd oasis. We need new roots and a new home. Despite being the overwhelming deaf majority, late-deafened are the least 'vocal' about changing things, I've often wondered why. Because they lack that confidence to stand their ground ? unsurprising given their unequal access to communication.
Passcifst, I do agree with you. And as a matter of fact, that is where the orgional roots of the oral schools lie. It wasn't just kids who were partially hearing....some of the first oral schools were late deafened kids. You are right. There are some late deafened people who really thrive as Deaf ....but there are just as many who feel truely "hearing impaired" .....Nothing wrong with that....But maybe a good idea might be to start a chapter of Hearing Loss Associaton (a US organization formally known as SHHH)

Back