The role of non-deaf/hoh hearing disabilities in the deaf community

SilentRiver

Reaction score
Hi! Okay so I've heard a lot of disagreement about what role, if any, non-deaf/hoh, hearing-related disabilities have in the deaf/hoh community. I have auditory processing disorder severe enough that I sometimes feel more comfortable in the deaf community than the hearing one. I've heard people say that all hearing-related disabilities should be welcomed in the deaf community, but I've also heard people say that hearing people should not be considered part of the community regardless of other disabilities. So what do you guys think? Curious to hear different perspectives! :ty:

DISCUSS! :)

Well, CAPD is not actually a disorder of hearing loss, but a neurological disorder of audiological processing. So, while you will find that your issues and the issues of the deaf will be somewhat different, I don't see any reason for you to be excluded in an open community like the deaf/hoh community.

But, the Deaf Community is something a bit different. Their whole culture is built on the sameness of Deafness and the issues, both social and personal, with being Deaf and using a language other than what the primary culture uses. You might find your entrance there a bit more difficult. But it isn't impossible. The Deaf Community has always welcomed me, and I am hearing. But I would caution you to enter on their terms, not yours. That is why I have been welcomed.

You will find welcomes from most of the community. There will be some that are not so friendly. It is kind of like most of society, in that there will be those that prejudge anyone that is not like them in a negative manner.
I am HOH and was full hearing until 1989.

I am only HOH and have found that they are more people who welcome the non-deaf than not.

but, the ones who wont seam to be the "loudest" about what they think.

edit: im from Greenville there's a local meetup group here if you feel like driving down

I have yet to find someone in my area that is deaf/hoh. As much as I'd love to answer your question I can't :(

There is considerable disagreement with some deaf who are cultural about inclusions and acceptances. There are 2 distinct sectors of deaf/non-deaf/deafened sectors,and they don't welcome all that much. It's not unusual to read cultural deaf opposing HoH or deafened who feel it is an disability e.g. Given cultural deaf oppose the entire concept of disability, they often oppose each other. The country's largest charities are not 'Deaf' oriented or supported,but 'deaf' ones,and charities that accept the disablement issue hearing loss can cause, ideology doesn't really come into this as it is about support. I've read deafened people posting/blogging about trauma issues and how difficult it was to be accepted, and big issues accessing support clearly defined for someone else, to then get called whiners, and moaners, and to get with it etc by cultural deaf who feel deafness is a non-issue. I think the polarization of "Deaf" and "deaf" is pretty well accepted. what hasn't happened is the division of the support systems to meet the different needs, and this is an flashpoint for deaf versus Deaf. Acquired/deafened sectors would also like to see an holistic approach to communication too, which means no more LR-alone or sign-alone approaches, but an inclusive approach.

Agreed. What I need, as a late-deafened individual, is captioning on phones, TVs, movies, lectures, etc. Possibly some audio assistance through an FM system or neck-loop that works with the T-coil on my hearing aids.

That's different from the culturally Deaf who want to have ASL interpretation, which is of little or no use for most late-deafened people.

Agreed. What I need, as a late-deafened individual, is captioning on phones, TVs, movies, lectures, etc. Possibly some audio assistance through an FM system or neck-loop that works with the T-coil on my hearing aids.

That's different from the culturally Deaf who want to have ASL interpretation, which is of little or no use for most late-deafened people.
Since you are retired, might be time to learn ASL better. Not trying to single you out here. I am also like you.

I would like to, actually, if my husband would go along with me. Otherwise it would be sort of pointless, because I'd have no one to use it with.

It's funny, we do have our little "home signs" that we use sometimes in the a.m., before I have my aids in. There's one for "want coffee?" (to which the answer is always "Yes!!"), and "I'm taking the dogs out, see you later."

That pretty much covers our a.m. conversation, before I'm properly caffeinated and hearing-aided. ;-)

I would like to, actually, if my husband would go along with me. Otherwise it would be sort of pointless, because I'd have no one to use it with.

It's funny, we do have our little "home signs" that we use sometimes in the a.m., before I have my aids in. There's one for "want coffee?" (to which the answer is always "Yes!!"), and "I'm taking the dogs out, see you later."

That pretty much covers our a.m. conversation, before I'm properly caffeinated and hearing-aided. ;-)

:lol: I have a sign language for my mom, one for my daughter, Cali friends, Texas friends and Starbucks people...... I probably have 10 languages now that I think about it. It is fun too. We come up with some prett funny stuff.

I am using some signs at home and the family is finally beginning to pick them up. Hubby knows "start coffee please" and the kids understand "wash & eat" when I call them to dinner. They also know "thank-you, stop, no, yes and bathroom/toilet"

Beachgirl, learn ASL and you'll find your social opportunities will expand. Twice as many friends. Then, you can to Deaf socials and hang out with your hearing friends.

I can go to Deaf socials and hang out with my hearing friends?

Not quite sure I'm following that...

On some days you can attend socials and on some other days you hang out with your hearing friends. You time will fill up more quickly.

Back