"The Right Ear Is From Mars"

loml

Reaction score
Belting out a few notes on key might take years of
practice, and perfect pitch the right genetics, but when it
comes to something as simple as telling noise from
symphony, speech from music, all ears are created equal -
or so it was once thought. But in a new study, scientists have found that the left andright ears process sound differently.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/14/science/14ear.html?ex=1096176941&ei=1&en=2aca

Attachments

• left , right brain.doc
    22.5 KB · Views: 9
Ummm....If indeed true, that might explain my mastery of speech and so so abilitiy with singing. I haved used my right ear all along in my HOH days with a HA and now with a CI. I'm also definitely a more analytical type than artistic one as well. I guess I'm a powerful leftbrainer :mrgreen:

Still, the plasticity of the brain is a marvelous thing and it is amazing what people can do when their backs are against a wall.

Very interesting...

I find this interesting because when I was a kid , I wore 2 hearing aids. Now I am at the of age 29 and wear one hearing aid , the another ear is :deaf: Maybe there will be more better hearing aid research to prolong what is left of our ears and a more accurate means of measuring our hearing that way our hearing lasts longer with what we have left of with our hearing with BTE and CI hearing aids. I can see a good potentional for good research there? Maybe sounds made to process louder noises into quieter noises thus preserving the state of what is left of our hearing? What do you think? :) :thumb:

Interesting...I remember seeing something like that somewhere, that one ear is better for processing the language and one ear better for the other characteristics of a sound.

BTW, I still can't get to the article because of browser issues...could someone please tell me which ear is which?

Rose Immortal said:
Interesting...I remember seeing something like that somewhere, that one ear is better for processing the language and one ear better for the other characteristics of a sound.

BTW, I still can't get to the article because of browser issues...could someone please tell me which ear is which?

The right ear is for the learning process and the left ear is for everything else. :)

That's what I thought. I notice that when I am doing anything at the same time as a phone conversation, I seem to tune out from the phone chat more easily (without meaning to) if I have the phone in my left ear. I also notice that when I'm listening to music on earphones and somebody wants to talk to me, I always take out the right one to listen to them, and then I multitask very well.

Maybe that's why. Neat info...so cool!! :)

Back