The psychology of hearing loss

interesting section...

Denial, isolation, and anger are readily observable by clinicians. A newly diagnosed adult may mourn the loss by becoming withdrawn and refusing amplification. Family members and audiologists are the greatest help in this early stage. Patients often need to be taught new ways to interact in the world to increase their involvement. Bargaining frequently takes the form of comparing ("I can’t really hear anymore, but at least my health is good") or devaluing ("Who cares if I cannot hear—I never really liked music").

I definitely felt disoriented. Once I made the decision to get HAs, I adjusted well.

Joining this forum helped me a lot. There are some amazing people here. I'm more confident that I can handle whatever happens. Thanks to all of the ADers who have made this journey easier. I don't feel so alone. Ya'll rock!

I definitely felt disoriented. Once I made the decision to get HAs, I adjusted well.

Joining this forum helped me a lot. There are some amazing people here. I'm more confident that I can handle whatever happens. Thanks to all of the ADers who have made this journey easier. I don't feel so alone. Ya'll rock!

You rock too, SallyLou!!! :)

Great to hear, Sally! :) I'm sure that everyone must feel good knowing that they've helped make a difference.

Like Shel said, you rock too! :)

I can remember when I got my first HA at the age of 7 years old, my mother was folding a paper bag and I could not believe how loud the sound was! My mother cried! And I the first time I heard the rain on my umbrella my older sister cried! My family had no idea how HOH I was and I had no idea how much I miss the first 7 years of my life! I was no longer thought to be retarded by my teacher! But I still never really felt like I part of my family!
I was called deafie by my younger sister and my older sister and brother made fun of my speech! And my dad slap me in the face everyday for being HOH!

I can remember when I got my first HA at the age of 7 years old, my mother was folding a paper bag and I could not believe how loud the sound was! My mother cried! And I the first time I heard the rain on my umbrella my older sister cried! My family had no idea how HOH I was and I had no idea how much I miss the first 7 years of my life! I was no longer thought to be retarded by my teacher! But I still never really felt like I part of my family!
I was called deafie by my younger sister and my older sister and brother made fun of my speech! bAnd my dad slap me in the face everyday for being HOH!

Hey,, me too! Welcome to the club.

Your attitude and your outlook is an inspiration to all.

:grouphug:

Hey,, me too! Welcome to the club.

I am sorry to heard you had this happen too! When I went to college I took a
course in Russian history as my dad was from Russia . I ask my college professor how were handicap people treated in Russia and she told me handicap people were locked up and forgotten about! This really explained to me why my dad abuse me plus he was abused by his dad! I was able to break the abusive patten with my daughter and now she is able to be a good mother to her child!

I am sorry to heard you had this happen too! When I went to college I took a
course in Russian history as my dad was from Russia . I ask my college professor how were handicap people treated in Russia and she told me handicap people were locked up and forgotten about! This really explained to me why my dad abuse me plus he was abused by his dad! I was able to break the abusive patten with my daughter and now she is able to be a good mother to her child!

For mine it was an extreme type of behaviour modification, and my stepmother was a psychiatric social worker. I was really getting hit as a learning motivator.

And look how great I turned out!!:lol:

But all joking aside I made sure my kids were not abused too, and the one who is married and a mother, is a great mother.

And I rescue abused dogs and make their lives good, so some good came of it all. :)

Really Good Article

Wow! Reading that article makes me feel better. I can DEFINITELY relate to the "stages of grief" and the "identity crisis." I was treated as if I were "stupid" and/or "crazy" for many. many years. I actually believed it for awhile! I have never really felt "whole" until recently. :wave:

For mine it was an extreme type of behaviour modification, and my stepmother was a psychiatric social worker. I was really getting hit as a learning motivator.

And look how great I turned out!!:lol:

But all joking aside I made sure my kids were not abused too, and the one who is married and a mother, is a great mother.

And I rescue abused dogs and make their lives good, so some good came of it all. :)

Bottesini, I lived with a friend in Ca. and we rescue abused dogs too! I also
rescue cats! My dad was going to kick our beagle for barking so much ! I told my dad he had to kick me before he kick my dog! Dad walked away! I think he like it that I stood up to him! I am glad dad did not kick me as it would had hurt like HELL , he was very strong!

Bottesini, I lived with a friend in Ca. and we rescue abused dogs too! I also
rescue cats! My dad was going to kick our beagle for barking so much ! I told my dad he had to kick me before he kick my dog! Dad walked away! I think he like it that I stood up to him! I am glad dad did not kick me as it would had hurt like HELL , he was very strong!

I know your feelings, and rescuing the dogs is a good form of therapy. :hug:

The unconditional love our pets give us is no small thing. I have rescues, too, and they are even more appreciative of our company than animals who have never been in a shelter.

Back