The Other Oppression

lucidjen

Reaction score
The other oppression we have experienced is when many people came and said to us, "You should try this new technology, cochlear implants, so you would become a normal person like us. "Can anyone tell me the definition of a
normal person?"
I can't even find it in the dictionary. Do you know the
reason why? The dictionary respects diversity and the authors chose not to
include a definition of a "normal person." This is another example of the
oppression we suffered.

lucidjen said:
The other oppression we have experienced is when many people came and said to us, "You should try this new technology, cochlear implants, so you would become a normal person like us. "Can anyone tell me the definition of a
normal person?"
oppression we suffered.

Normal? there is no such thing as normal! and there is no problem being deaf! the only thing wrong is you can hear! there is nothing wrong with you! theres something wrong with them! :squint:

No one is normal.. We all are the same, but we all have problems. No person are normal. Everyone are not perfect..

God made you, God want you to have, God want you to be deaf, God want you to be HOH, God want you and so on.. There is no one is normal. I am happy who am I. I am hearing impaired, and I am married to hearing husband, I have deaf friends, I have HOH friend, I have hearing friends, and I have a hearing baby boy. I am just happy for the way I am.

I don't care if I am not normal.

lucidjen said:
normal person?"
oppression we suffered.

Normal person? There is no such thing as a normal person. We are all different and that's what makes the world awesome...getting to know all types of different people.

Yeah...it was just in my thought--lookin thru the site. Of course, there's no such a normal person. I just hate when ppl comes up to me, that's all. Cochlear Implant, I have one, I just want to hear. Not to be a hearing person. Just to be a different person. :mrgreen:

Couldn't tell you what a normal person is. I am definitly not normal....and who cares? Being normal you blend in and become a boring suburban type. Difference is cool and should be embraced!

CrazyRedHeadWV said:
No one is normal.. We all are the same, but we all have problems. No person are normal. Everyone are not perfect..

God made you, God want you to have, God want you to be deaf, God want you to be HOH, God want you and so on.. There is no one is normal. I am happy who am I. I am hearing impaired, and I am married to hearing husband, I have deaf friends, I have HOH friend, I have hearing friends, and I have a hearing baby boy. I am just happy for the way I am.

yea i agree with u abt god made people who is deaf or blind or whatever... god love the world and people no matter what! :)

corona_babe135 said:

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."
-Mark Twain

;) That's my story and I'm stickin with it

CrazyRedHeadWV said:

Exactly CrazyRedHeadWV!....No one is perfect!

Gee...of course, no one's perfect -- if everyone in the whole wide world were 'perfect' and 'normal' -- I'll bet that it'd be a BORING life. :P Heheh...

WaterRats13 said:
Gee...of course, no one's perfect -- if everyone in the whole wide world were 'perfect' and 'normal' -- I'll bet that it'd be a BORING life. :P Heheh...
sure it would be a boring life if everything is perfect! My cousin was the ultimate perfectionist and it just ruin her marriage and everything else..she was unbelievable one!! thats why she was divorced 3 times!..drives her hubbys crazy with her perfectionist ways....mercy!

is when many people came and said to us, "You should try this new technology, cochlear implants, so you would become a normal person like us. "
Were these people who got CIs themselves in adulthood? I have noticed that some implantees(notice I said SOME...not all!) who get CI and are crazy about CI are still not quite comfortable with being a deaf person. I've noticed that a lot of those people grew up with AGBell parent types, who chose oral-only b/c it seemed more normal, and who still have issues that their dhh child/ren are "different"

deafdyke said:
Couldn't tell you what a normal person is. I am definitly not normal....and who cares? Being normal you blend in and become a boring suburban type. Difference is cool and should be embraced!

:werd: I agree that if every single one is normal, then the world will be boring and dull. Think of this, the deaf is like spices to the pie. ;) We sparkle the world up, just like any other "different" people. Hope you're with me on this. :thumb:

In fact, I don't even care if I am not normal or weird or silly or whatever you think of me. Heh. ;)

Back