The "now I hear you-now I don't" game: ???

Or he may just be a bright, quirky kid. Enjoy him! It's going to be a wild ride, sounds like. :lol:

Yeah. I hate audiogram for much the same reason that you do. It often triggers ringing in my ears and makes it hard to tell the difference between the beeping and the beep especially if both sounds are high pitched.

I have this problem, how do I do the tests if I don't know if I'm actually hearing it or tinnitus? It only happens when being tests on unaided

I have this problem, how do I do the tests if I don't know if I'm actually hearing it or tinnitus? It only happens when being tests on unaided

Happens to me too. I asked my audi about it, and she said they can tell because she runs each tone 3 times (or several times - not sure of exact number). If I respond every time at a certain decibel level, then she trusts I'm really hearing it. If I respond irregularly, then she chalks it up to tinnitus.

The audiogram is not necessarily an exact science; it's close enough to fit you for the appropriate HA, and then you'll probably have to have it tweaked a time or two after that to get it exactly right. If you think of it like that, you can relax, knowing that "close enough" is really good enough to get what you need from it.

Yea, the audi tests you under perfect conditions then sends you out into the real world where there is back ground noise, people turn away, etc. It's no wonder that I don't function as well in real life as I do in the perfect conditions. :roll:

I've been looking for those "perfect conditions" for all sorts of things in my life. Haven't found them yet! ;-)

Yea, the audi tests you under perfect conditions then sends you out into the real world where there is back ground noise, people turn away, etc. It's no wonder that I don't function as well in real life as I do in the perfect conditions. :roll:
Technically speaking the same applies to the hearing as well. For instance, look at the way they have to sometime "shout" into each others' ears in noisy places, restaurants, bars, etc.

Yea, but when I was hearing, I could hear the shouting. lol ASL is definitely superior in noisy environments.

I read most of the posts and then stopped just so you know. Not because of lack of interest because this is very interesting and I will go back and read when I am not suffering fatigue.

2 Years olds love to be in control of their environments. They learn they can say no and learn to control things and aggravate a person. I would wait for implant you are still in the realm of reason to have him implanted at 4 instead of two that way he is more willing to understand about hearing test and be willing to sit through mapping on a CI.

As for as which course you take with your son rather it is HA or CI or possibly neither. I think it would benefit the child to learn ASL and have that as his primary along with English. Therefore if he is older in school or college even with a CI or HA he may not ear speech clearly from across the room to understand the teacher (I know that is why they have FM Systems now) and his hearing aids are damaged, lost, or in for repair.

I was almost 21 when I lost all my hearing in both ears. One ear doesn't hear any sound even with hearing aid and my right well, I can hear but not make out speech and have been learning to read lips. Hearing aids do not allow you to ear the world as you would with working ears I have learned the hard way. I don't have access to a deaf community close by that I can find and do not know ASL so at this point I have to go to college to learn ASL to go to college to for my degree. I don't have money or healthcare but, was able to get hearing aids from a non profit organization.

Hope this helps but, in my opinion he should really learn ASL no matter what you choose.

Some people are also good combining whatever auditory input they get with lipreading along with reading other people's gestures or expressions and picking up vibes. To each, his or her own.

Not sure what your point is. I read lips. Sometimes, I read people when they least expect it. :giggle:

Kids will naturally attempt to do what they think is expected of them. If he thinks mom expects him to hear, he will sometimes pretend to hear so that mom thinks he is a "good boy". Same with the examiner in an audiological exam. They explain that he is to respond to the beeps. He (and all children that age) will sometimes guess to try to do what is expected of them. Sometimes they guess correctly, sometimes they don't.

Not sure what your point is. I read lips. Sometimes, I read people when they least expect it. :giggle:
Yes, kind of reminds me of an experience I had in school. Whereas one teacher was whispering to another, supposedly talking in private. Which one of them then noticed "Oh he's watching" and covered his mouth. I wasn't offended or anything, we had some laughs over it. :giggle:

Don't know if this throws light on anything or not, but I will toss it out there.

I am hearing.

I spend a lot of time inside my own head. Reading, on the net, visualizing, feeling, constructing and deconstructing concepts in one way or another.

My hearing is the first thing to go. When I really get involved mentally my vision of the world around me disappears too. You can put your nose to my nose and scream at me and then I will notice your presence.

But...

My subconscious mind is always there. And it keeps amazing track of things my conscious mind does not.

And when a stranger is about, or some strange noise occurs, or someone / something tries to sneak around, or someone mentions a subject that I have a real interest in ...

And I'm there. Even from a sound sleep at night. I'm awake, alert, and interested in what is going on and what is happening.

Granted I seem to be a bit of an extreme case, but I think it is just pretty much natural, and with children normal. When the sights and sounds around you are boring and your thoughts are intriguing...

I think my mother helped create me because while other adults would tell me, "Get your damn head out of the clouds and put your feet on the ground," or "Quit fantasizing and get involved in the real world," my mother would leave me alone -- And when she saw I was alert again she would ask, "What were you thinking about, honey?"

And then she listened.

What it boils down to is, "Yes, I'm hearing, but if you want me to pay attention to you, try to say something interesting."

Why should a Deaf person fight to listen to you Just because you are moving your lips?

Don't know if this throws light on anything or not, but I will toss it out there.

I am hearing.

I spend a lot of time inside my own head. Reading, on the net, visualizing, feeling, constructing and deconstructing concepts in one way or another.

My hearing is the first thing to go. When I really get involved mentally my vision of the world around me disappears too. You can put your nose to my nose and scream at me and then I will notice your presence.

But...

My subconscious mind is always there. And it keeps amazing track of things my conscious mind does not.

And when a stranger is about, or some strange noise occurs, or someone / something tries to sneak around, or someone mentions a subject that I have a real interest in ...

And I'm there. Even from a sound sleep at night. I'm awake, alert, and interested in what is going on and what is happening.

Granted I seem to be a bit of an extreme case, but I think it is just pretty much natural, and with children normal. When the sights and sounds around you are boring and your thoughts are intriguing...

I think my mother helped create me because while other adults would tell me, "Get your damn head out of the clouds and put your feet on the ground," or "Quit fantasizing and get involved in the real world," my mother would leave me alone -- And when she saw I was alert again she would ask, "What were you thinking about, honey?"

And then she listened.

What it boils down to is, "Yes, I'm hearing, but if you want me to pay attention to you, try to say something interesting."

Why should a Deaf person fight to listen to you Just because you are moving your lips?

You are describing what is known as functional dissociation. A very useful skill to have.

Ack! I have a useful skill?

Don't tell my bosses. Most of them are convinced I am an idiot.

Ok, Jillio and berry, both of your answers are very useful... Since probably they explain the reasons of the "game"! He tries sometimes, to make us happy, but basically the whole thing is not very interesting for him at the moment. He's growing up fast anyway, and we are learning more signs every week so we are more relaxed now about his comprehension of what happens around him. We'll have to fight for having a terp at school (he starts in september), but with his loss and his personality I hope they'll realize that strict oralism was and is NOT an option in any case (wasn't our way anyway, but I'm sure nothing would change in his attitude with a CI, even if all doctors are sure it would).

He's now making experiments with his voice, at the mirror, saying "uuuu" and "aaaa" and "la"... Once he gets the sound/effect (?) he wants, he stops and try something else. He sometimes starts to laugh by himself, when he's in a quiet (read: boring) environment, and makes himself laughing (probably hears himself laughing or enjoying the vibe of his chest or who knows, anyway the result is his own laughing makes him laugh more). Seems that he's doing speech therapy by himself:lol:since therapist is working on sign now...

I guess all that he finds funny is good, he's a kid and needs to enjoy life in any way. He's made big progress since we use sign on a daily basis and he's more quiet too... Less frustration in trying to understand what's going on, especially in noisy situations (on the bus, with other kids etc). When things are quiet I do like my hearing daughter and explain many times, with voice and sign, why I ask him to do/not to do things, and he usually sits on my knees or stay close to me, with his ear (prefers the right one - the better one) close to my mouth, with his back laying on my chest. I do sign putting my hands in front of his face (I don't know how to picture this, sorry for my poor English). I guess that's not conventional and our therapist don't approve since he cannot lipread this way... But he seems to be able to listen to me for a long time this way, and seems to understand too, so I keep doing it when I really need to explain something difficult (for example "why I don't want you to run across the street" or "when the lights are green we all walk thru the street, when it's red we all stop" or "we can't but a toy since the shop is closed"... HARD things to understand at 2yo).

Having his attention is really difficult anyway, so Berry, if he's like you (and I'm a bit like that too - are you sure you don't have any asperger's traits? There's even an online test if you like to know:D) I definitely need to improve my arguments... My conversation must be quite boring at the moment:D

Thank you all for the points you showed me, it's very useful to see things through other's eyes!

Ok, Jillio and berry, both of your answers are very useful... Since probably they explain the reasons of the "game"! He tries sometimes, to make us happy, but basically the whole thing is not very interesting for him at the moment. He's growing up fast anyway, and we are learning more signs every week so we are more relaxed now about his comprehension of what happens around him. We'll have to fight for having a terp at school (he starts in september), but with his loss and his personality I hope they'll realize that strict oralism was and is NOT an option in any case (wasn't our way anyway, but I'm sure nothing would change in his attitude with a CI, even if all doctors are sure it would).

He's now making experiments with his voice, at the mirror, saying "uuuu" and "aaaa" and "la"... Once he gets the sound/effect (?) he wants, he stops and try something else. He sometimes starts to laugh by himself, when he's in a quiet (read: boring) environment, and makes himself laughing (probably hears himself laughing or enjoying the vibe of his chest or who knows, anyway the result is his own laughing makes him laugh more). Seems that he's doing speech therapy by himself:lol:since therapist is working on sign now...

I guess all that he finds funny is good, he's a kid and needs to enjoy life in any way. He's made big progress since we use sign on a daily basis and he's more quiet too... Less frustration in trying to understand what's going on, especially in noisy situations (on the bus, with other kids etc). When things are quiet I do like my hearing daughter and explain many times, with voice and sign, why I ask him to do/not to do things, and he usually sits on my knees or stay close to me, with his ear (prefers the right one - the better one) close to my mouth, with his back laying on my chest. I do sign putting my hands in front of his face (I don't know how to picture this, sorry for my poor English). I guess that's not conventional and our therapist don't approve since he cannot lipread this way... But he seems to be able to listen to me for a long time this way, and seems to understand too, so I keep doing it when I really need to explain something difficult (for example "why I don't want you to run across the street" or "when the lights are green we all walk thru the street, when it's red we all stop" or "we can't but a toy since the shop is closed"... HARD things to understand at 2yo).

Having his attention is really difficult anyway, so Berry, if he's like you (and I'm a bit like that too - are you sure you don't have any asperger's traits? There's even an online test if you like to know:D) I definitely need to improve my arguments... My conversation must be quite boring at the moment:D

Thank you all for the points you showed me, it's very useful to see things through other's eyes!

My wife swears up and down I have a touch of Asperger's syndrome. When I "tune out" she calls it my "Asperagus mode".

I never heard of Asperger's until recently, and I'm not really sure if I care whether I have it or not. I love being me. That is what I think REALLY counts.

He sometimes starts to laugh by himself, when he's in a quiet (read: boring) environment, and makes himself laughing (probably hears himself laughing or enjoying the vibe of his chest or who knows, anyway the result is his own laughing makes him laugh more). Seems that he's doing speech therapy by himself:lol:since therapist is working on sign now...

I guess all that he finds funny is good, he's a kid and needs to enjoy life in any way.

I love, love, LOVE, this. Any kid who gets a kick out of his own laugh is a happy kid.

Back