The metaphysical implications of anthropomorphism and anthropocentricism

The Heretic

Reaction score
A few words on the actual manifestations of anthropocentricism and anthropomorphism in history and society, but first, the definitions:

Anthropomorphism: the tendency to attribute human motives, characteristics, traits or other qualities to nonhuman objects.

Anthropocentricism: the tendency to assume humans as the centerpiece ofthe universe

An active nihilism has effectively splintered our hermeneutic potential and proliferated the formerly unitary perspective into an infinite number of competing interpretations. As a result with all these interpretations, which generates fresh concepts and signs or recycles them, a new mode of perception is required. The older model of intuition with its static concepts have proven to be empty, hollow, and worst of all, passe.

The old model presumed perception to be inherently experiential in its entirety, but, pace Schopenhauer, perception is actually active and intellectual, the actual function of brain activity interpreting raw data, and leads to an anthropomorphic world.

Even the properties of objects are themselves anthropomorphic tags. Rocks are considered "hard" because that is how they feel, how they easily resist physical pressure. the universe is considered cold and empty for the same reasons.

If man actually created the world conceptually, then he forgot himself when inventing a creator beyond or behind the world, and to this day, people continue to struggle with the problem of origin. If language is understood as the "primordial poetry" of a culture, then that goes for the world as well. Our inheritance from animals, who already long began this world-creation, is reality itself.

All truths are inherently falsifications or artificial superimposition upon the naked chaos of reality, what Nietzsche calls a "transformation of reality in order for us to endure it." This transformation awards man the full responsibility of his creation, his world.

Once the activity of worldmaking is realized, and evident to the unwitting creator, then the only productive truths are those from an artistic perception. All qualities are read into the world through our cognitive framework of cognition. Ergo, our predispositions conditions experience: the video game junkie observes the graphical intricacies of the game engine with certain emotions that projects value, and this invest signiificance to the experience. Our observations are already laced with morality, culture, and custom. Then it follows that the projection of symbols is the key to our cognitive understanding.

There is a dark side to this projecting capacity, a narcissistic delusion: the tendency to anthropocentralize the world, thereby exaggerating humanity to the hilt until it is postulated as the centerpiece of creation, its final goal as the highest specimens. The most efficient and dominant manifestation of this tendency of self-projection is the Christian god, especially given the inertia of religion, but that's another topic.

Given that this manifestation has decayed in modern times, the narcissistic impulse is now the main impulse behind modern technology and antiecological humanism. The difference between anthropomorphism and anthropocentricism is fundamental for the postnihilistic culture, for the latter is inherently decadent, and causes a degeneration of the drive towards dominance, whereas the former identifies the self-authenticity and responsibility of the creation or invention of "primordial poetry" and results in "self-potentiation."

Anthropomorphism contains an innocence of becoming that will bring about self-overcoming, while the anthropocentric impulse always involve uncritical perception that impoverishes emotions and narrows vision. It is with an aesthetic cognition that a person transforms his perception of the world into an affirmative one, for it excercises the anthropomorphic right to project values.

Upcoming:

the reason of aesthetics and its ethical implications

The Heretic said:
...Even the properties of objects are themselves anthropomorphic tags. Rocks are considered "hard" because that is how they feel, how they easily resist physical pressure.
Rocks are "hard", and we ascribe that attribute onto people. We refer to people as having hearts "as hard as rocks" but we never say a rock is "as hard as a person's heart."

If man actually created the world conceptually, then he forgot himself when inventing a creator beyond or behind the world, and to this day, people continue to struggle with the problem of origin
Man didn't create the world, not everyone has a struggle with the "problem" of origin because there is no problem.

Our inheritance from animals, who already long began this world-creation, is reality itself.
Well, animals were created the same week as Man, so they really didn't get that much of a head start. Also, God gave the task of naming the animals (using language) to Adam the Man.

This transformation awards man the full responsibility of his creation, his world.
Except that Christians believe that God created the universe, and that He has full responsibility for His world.

There is a dark side to this projecting capacity, a narcissistic delusion: the tendency to anthropocentralize the world, thereby exaggerating humanity to the hilt until it is postulated as the centerpiece of creation, its final goal as the highest specimens.
The Christian knows that Man is not the center of creation but God is. The final goal is the glory of God, not the glory of Man.

The most efficient and dominant manifestation of this tendency of self-projection is the Christian god, especially given the inertia of religion, but that's another topic.
No, because Man was made in the image of God, not the other way around.

Given that this manifestation has decayed in modern times, the narcissistic impulse is now the main impulse behind modern technology and antiecological humanism. The difference between anthropomorphism and anthropocentricism is fundamental for the postnihilistic culture, for the latter is inherently decadent, and causes a degeneration of the drive towards dominance, whereas the former identifies the self-authenticity and responsibility of the creation or invention of "primordial poetry" and results in "self-potentiation."
Degeneration happens because the creature (Man) becomes prideful and thinks that he is better than the Creator (God), or when Man treats the creation (world) as more important than the Creator.

a mighty handwave deserves another in return

Thank you for your response, Reba, even though it was an original regurgitation of Christian dogma.

I could refute each and every one of your responses, but that would be taking us offtopic and playing into your hands.

If someone else would bother to address the implications, rather than assert their own uncritical convictions, then I'm game.

:giggle: I'm not sorry to say this but The Heretic reminds me so much of my favourite Spanish Inquisitor from another messageboard!! I often wonder if its tit for tat!

/wishful thinking here...

Wonderful, another pointless response.

Well, I'm not sorry to say this: if that Spanish Inquisitor is your favorite then I must be doing something right.

And this: I don't preach my speculations as the Truth™ and all must obey or Go to Hell.™

Instead, I am interested in fruitful dialogue, not judgment or condemnation or airing convictions, for they are the more dangerous enemies of the truth than lies.

Won't anyone try discussing anthropomorphism and anthropocentrism, instead?

Some examples

With things that people design, they demostrate anthropocentricism by being designed to interface with people, althrough they may not fit as well as possible at first. Early instances of things like mice were boxy, then later designs were ergonomic. If humanity became extinct and aliens visited Earth after that and found remains of our stuff, they'd be able to figure out a lot about us from it.
Then people demostrate anthropomorphism with things they made, like with computers by saying things like the computer is thinking or trying to do something.
Anthropocentricism also appears in people's conceptions of the universe. Before, people thought Earth was in the center of the universe with everything else going around it. I wonder if the ancient people who named the planets thought of them anthropomorphically. The Greek gods that were relabeled with Roman names are themselves projections of human characteristics onto imagined beings. It's interesting to see how different human characteristics were given to different gods and how they interacted in the myths.
Back before environomental regulations, doing things like clear cutting forests and other evironmential damage demostrated anthropocentricism because the well being of the environment and other beings in it like animals were not considered. Then anthropomorphism appeared in the form of the environmentally aware people, especially those who watched Bambi. :mrgreen:

Back