The "Mainstreaming" Experience: "Isolated cases"?

I think hearing people have a hard time understand because hearing does not = fitting in. Nor does being deaf at a deaf school mean you will have a great academic experience.
No not hearing. Those of us who are dhh do not hear like hearing people. We hear like deaf or hard of hearing people. The problem is that for some strange reason hoh has been assumed to be more hearing then deaf.
There are "almost hearing" kids I know (both with CI, HA etc) and who do not identify with Deaf culture or ASL but then again, there are also many hoh people who identify strongly as Deaf or with Deaf culture.
The Oracle, again how many times do we have to tell you. We are not "rah rah rah go Deaf Schools, all hearing schools suck!" We simply think that a solotaire placement needs to be VERY carefully done. A lot of dhh kids can benifit from a dhh program at a hearing school you know! The thing that you don't understand is that unless you're super bright and acheive with minimal accomondations (which is what most mainstream sped gives you) you get lumped into Resource Room style sped. That is the kind that deals with learning disabilties and ADD, rather then with low incidence disabilties.
I may not have needed a deaf SCHOOL placement......BUT, I definitly could have benifited strongly from a dhh program at a hearing school.....I didn't even get a notetaker until I was a sophmore in high school.....You know, my parents were told at IEP meetings " Oh she's not really deaf. She only needs FM, and front row seating and speech therapy" :roll:

Deaf adults who are self-sufficient, well-educated, and intelligent on this forum are saying that mainstreamed education isn't as great as it sounds on paper. They personally have worn the shoes of a deaf child in the system.

Deaf teenagers who are sitting in my classroom, day in and out, have written in their daily journals about their experiences from public schools. I cry every time I read them. I suppose one day I will get used to it, but I'm not at that point.

I am not saying that every single child who is in a mainstreamed setting is being "abused." What I am saying is that some of the experiences that children who are often placed in the mainstreamed education setting is often abuse, but it's not often seen as it. I've pointed out some examples. Many things which are common and accepted for deaf children in those settings should not be. For example, has it occurred to you that having a closed-captioned television program may not always be appropriate? Hearing kids in first grade do not read that well yet - so they learn by hearing the language. Yet, it's a common accommodation for first grade deaf kids, who probably don't have nearly as much exposure to English words, to have captioned on the media program so the interpreter will not interpret the program. This is wrong. I've sat at plenty of meetings whereas I voiced and advocated for the child to be placed in a public school setting as it was more appropriate than the deaf school (for various reasons, and for every child, those reasons will and should vary). What I am merely pointing out is that even in the best possible mainstreamed setting with the appropriate modifications, accommodations, and instructional goals (which does not happen often, by the way), the child still will have some negative experiences that can adversely affect their emotional and mental well-being. This is something that is often overlooked, ignored, or simply said with a shrug "Well, we can't have everything." Parents often feel judged or defensive when they hear these stories, which is understandable. But it's also something they need to sit back and listen to. By listening to these "blanket statements", they may realize the potential of making sure the same thing doesn't happen to their children. For example, it's not okay for the child to sit and eat lunch without an interpreter...this is a very common practice. The child needs conversational skills, too. He needs informal language exposure as opposed to only interpreting what the teacher says. By listening to the stories, the parents can look at their own children and perhaps make better adjustments. I wish someone talked to my parents.

If one chooses to call the experiences of deaf adults who are self-sufficient, well-educated, and intelligent on this forum as blanket statements in regard to mainstreamed, then so be it. Let's hang the blanket on our clothesline and show it off. Someone has to speak up for these children. I bet you that many of the deaf adults on this forum share my sentiments when I say that I wish someone spoke up for me.
Damn right!

I think you misunderstood. I am talking about hearing people like me. I'm technically hoh, but I think of myself as hearing because I get along just fine. Or other people who have no hearing issues...it's hard to understand because kids of all kinds have issues in school.

I am hoh. Do not think of myself as hearing but don't believe I have the cultural/natal referents for "Deaf". Identify strongly with ASL and culture surrounding it.

Hubby congenitally deaf w/o HA's but considers himself audiologically hard of hearing and part <values, identifiers, frame of understanding> of hearing world.

ut don't believe I have the cultural/natal referents for "Deaf". Identify strongly with ASL and culture surrounding it.

Hubby congenitally deaf w/o HA's but considers himself audiologically hard of hearing and part <values, identifiers, frame of understanding> of hearing world.
How about "almost Deaf?" There do seem to be a lot of young (and even late deaf people) who identify strongly with Deaf culture and ASL.....like they're more into Deafness as a cultural or norm thing rather then as sick people trying to get well.

How about "almost Deaf?" There do seem to be a lot of young (and even late deaf people) who identify strongly with Deaf culture and ASL.....like they're more into Deafness as a cultural or norm thing rather then as sick people trying to get well.
Are you implying that it's one or the other? That if some of the deaf are not "Deaf", they are "sick people trying to get well?".

I don't view deafness as a sickness. Have you really encountered people who view themselves as "sick" rather than deaf or HH?

I don't view deafness as a sickness. Have you really encountered people who view themselves as "sick" rather than deaf or HH?

I have yes. And sometimes we see some come in here, too. Usually they don't stay long.

Are you implying that it's one or the other? That if some of the deaf are not "Deaf", they are "sick people trying to get well?".

I didnt realize I was a sick person. Good! I can go and gross people out!

Um no. I am saying that even if you're not ASL fluent or attended deaf school/program you can be "almost Deaf" without being the type of person who is all " oh I just wanna function as a hearing person, and am only interested in Hearing Health 101 and the Latest Hearing Aid/CI.
And that's true for other disabilties too. Like for example, you can be almost Blind without being Braille literate or having gone to a blind school/"sight saving" class/blind resource room (well granted Blind Ed is pretty much DEAD) without being the type of person who is only interested in Eye Health 101 or Sight rehab stuff. (one of my friends is blind, and he says that there's a huge difference between a student blind/low vision group vs the type of old person Low Vision Group)

Um no. I am saying that even if you're not ASL fluent or attended deaf school/program you can be "almost Deaf" without being the type of person who is all " oh I just wanna function as a hearing person, and am only interested in Hearing Health 101 and the Latest Hearing Aid/CI.
And that's true for other disabilties too. Like for example, you can be almost Blind without being Braille literate or having gone to a blind school/"sight saving" class/blind resource room (well granted Blind Ed is pretty much DEAD) without being the type of person who is only interested in Eye Health 101 or Sight rehab stuff. (one of my friends is blind, and he says that there's a huge difference between a student blind/low vision group vs the type of old person Low Vision Group)

What? I dare you to come over and run across commercial streets with me leading you, forward with my white cane. There are plenty of older adults low vision who are having fun.

And I am pretty darn Deaf too, even though I certainly am interested in HA technology. It's just one more type of tech.

I think DD means that there are some people who don't know which 'side of the fence' (for want of a better term) they are on. Statements such as: "I am hearing but technically I am HOH" You are either Hearing, HOH, deaf, or you are Deaf. There is no middle of the road, sitting on the fence saying one day you are Hearing, the next day you say you are HOH, and then the next you are Deaf. If someone does that, they are one messed up individual :eek: and they make it difficult for anyone to believe anything they say.

I spent my whole life living on a lie from the hearing 'professionals'. They told me I was HOH and would be fine in the mainstream schools with hearing aids. Raised oral because my family and I didn't know of any other option, I solidered through school and through life, learning to speak and 'pretending' that I was able to hear. When I came to AD, I discovered that I wasn't HOH but Severely Deaf, and that I did not need to 'pretend' anymore. It has changed my life for the better. I can be true to myself and to others around me. My family and friends are still having to make adjustments to accomodating me with visual communication now that I have that option to choose, as it has been quite a shock to them to discover the truth. But I now know how to identify myself. Not as 'hearing'; nor HOH, but proudly as Severely Deaf :ty: AD!

I am hoh. Do not think of myself as hearing but don't believe I have the cultural/natal referents for "Deaf". Identify strongly with ASL and culture surrounding it.

There's nothing wrong with it. And don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

I think DD means that there are some people who don't know which 'side of the fence' (for want of a better term) they are on. Statements such as: "I am hearing but technically I am HOH" You are either Hearing, HOH, deaf, or you are Deaf. There is no middle of the road, sitting on the fence saying one day you are Hearing, the next day you say you are HOH, and then the next you are Deaf. If someone does that, they are one messed up individual :eek: and they make it difficult for anyone to believe anything they say.

I spent my whole life living on a lie from the hearing 'professionals'. They told me I was HOH and would be fine in the mainstream schools with hearing aids. Raised oral because my family and I didn't know of any other option, I solidered through school and through life, learning to speak and 'pretending' that I was able to hear. When I came to AD, I discovered that I wasn't HOH but Severely Deaf, and that I did not need to 'pretend' anymore. It has changed my life for the better. I can be true to myself and to others around me. My family and friends are still having to make adjustments to accomodating me with visual communication now that I have that option to choose, as it has been quite a shock to them to discover the truth. But I now know how to identify myself. Not as 'hearing'; nor HOH, but proudly as Severely Deaf :ty: AD!
Sometime it simply comes down to what you want to believe. That's all there is to it.

:hmm:appreciate your input, DD...:hug:

:ty: for thoughts, anyone who was responding to me.

BecLak, I see what you mean there. I also do think that sometimes it could be possible for an individual to be going through a process of discovery such that they initially see themselves as hearing, then hoh, then deaf and/or then Deaf....

My perception only but I've thought of you as a cool person, Bott, who happens to be Deaf. "Fun" has no age limit.

Lotta great folks on here
:D

:hmm:appreciate your input, DD...:hug:

:ty: for thoughts, anyone who was responding to me.

BecLak, I see what you mean there. I also do think that sometimes it could be possible for an individual to be going through a process of discovery such that they initially see themselves as hearing, then hoh, then deaf and/or then Deaf....

My perception only but I've thought of you as a cool person, Bott, who happens to be Deaf. "Fun" has no age limit.

Lotta great folks on here
:D
:ty:

And I am pretty darn Deaf too, even though I certainly am interested in HA technology. It's just one more type of tech.
Botte, you missed my point. You can be Deaf and be interested in HA/CI technology, just the way you can be Hoh and identify with Deaf culture and ASL. Dhh identty is pretty much exactly like genderqueer identity. Genderqueer identity is basicly that the bigender roles in Western culture are a cultural artifact, andyou don't have to identify as either male or female......

Back