The Lounge thread: Whatever you feel like......... Anything goes! Part XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Truck was probably donated.

Besides....isn't Goodwill famous for hiring the deaf??? Someone told me that....not sure if it is true.

They do hire a ton of deaf people for behind the scenes work... assembly, sorting, etc.

Pay isn't great at all.

Can I sway you to go to The Salvation Army thrift store to donate instead of goodwill? I've taken tons of stuff to goodwill until 2 to 3 years ago. I took some stuff to donate and they had a brand new volvo semi parked out back. To me they could do alot more good with the $100,000 or more it takes to buy one of those trucks and put it elsewhere to better use. Not counting it takes an arm and a leg to operate and maintain those. Plus I dont see the need for them. Goodwill should sell what they take in at the store they get it at or if its overflow a small box truck would be plenty enough to transfer things to another store. Just my 2 cents worth.

I have not found a location here where I can get to for the Salvation Army for donations. I have donated to the Goodwill for the last 20 years. Why stop now. My local Goodwill has deaf people working for them and the sponsor classes for the late deafened here in town.

I have not found a location here where I can get to for the Salvation Army for donations. I have donated to the Goodwill for the last 20 years. Why stop now. My local Goodwill has deaf people working for them and the sponsor classes for the late deafened here in town.

i just think they could put the money spent on those trucks to better use is all. even if the it was donated the fuel and maintenance costs would be enormous. and why have an 18 wheeler just to transport stuff localy?

Mers Goodwill exec may have stolen hundreds of thousands of dollars from charity
KSDK -- An assistant vice president of Mers Goodwill is under investigation for allegedly embezzling hundreds of thousands of dollars from the non-profit charity.

The manager was fired Friday, but the I-Team is not identifying the person since he has not been charged with a crime. Multiple sources paint a picture of a well-liked, charming executive who may have betrayed not only the organization, but the 14,000 needy people it helps every year.

Mers Goodwill President and CEO Lew Chartock called the fired executive a "scoundrel."

"He is a danger to other people, other organizations, and obviously has no conscience when it comes to what he has done to an organization like ours," Chartock said.

The assistant V.P. was with the Mers Goodwill since 2003 and was fast tracked from case worker to manager. Multiple sources said he was charismatic. He boasted about owning multiple cars, trips to the Super Bowl and of attending pricey Los Angeles Lakers basketball games.

"He's elegant, witty, and extremely bright. He's a person our agency was sending back to school because we believed in him so much," Chartock said.

Chartock now believes he lied about everything, including his education, and may have been pocketing the money Goodwill allocated for his graduate school.

Sources said the Missouri Department of Labor and the Missouri State Highway Patrol are investigating. Federal authorities may get involved as well.

"He did it in a very intricate pattern which involved state agencies, it involved a very large bank," said Chartock.

Over a three-year period, Chartock said he allegedly intercepted hundreds of thousands of dollars by setting up false bank accounts. The money went from Mers Goodwill into the bank accounts instead of going to the state. The question investigators want to know is whether he acted alone?

"My guess is he feels no pain about what he did and how many people he was potentially hurting," said Chartock.

Despite the enormous loss of money, all efforts are underway to make sure services are not interrupted, Chartock said. He adds tougher procedures have been put in place to make sure this type of alleged scheme cannot be replicated.

Charity Navigator gives Mers Goodwill its highest ranking with four stars. The exceptional ranking means it exceeds industry standards and outperforms most charities in its cause.

The fired assistant vice president has hired criminal defense attorney Scott Rosenblum who would not comment until he reviewed all the facts in the case.

i just think they could put the money spent on those trucks to better use is all. even if the it was donated the fuel and maintenance costs would be enormous. and why have an 18 wheeler just to transport stuff localy?

The newer ones don't need as much maintenance as the older ones. Trust me on this. It's a lot cheaper.

What did your sister thought of those clothes and shoes you got for your nieces and nephew?

It was fun shopping with you in Melbourne. :)

Yes, it was good to have you with me shopping and helping me pick which one to buy. Thanks again.

My sister was surprised at the amount of shoes and clothes I got for the kids but she was very happy. Little did she know I'll come around her place in few weeks with a suitcase full with more new clothes and shoes recently ordered from US. :D

I got to donate a bunch of my clothes to Goodwill today. I lost enough weight that they are 2 sizes too big. Now, I have to start buying some new clothes again. Just got a mess load of new short sleeved tops for daily wear. (10 tops for $2.50 each at WalMart)

Well done on the weight loss! Those tops you got is cheap! We never get it for under $5 over here.

Goodwill will be grateful with your donations. :)

Goodwill will be grateful with your donations. :)

I donated, 5 dresses, 12 pairs of pants, 4 sweaters, 2 winter coats, 3 jackets, 27 tops, 3 bathing suits and 8 pajama sets I never donate underclothes, so they were trashed.

OMG @ fella...

he lied. wow. surly have a guts to say everything which it is not true AND even worse, he knows that im here. cant believe it that he dont give a [bleep] but lied, he knows that im here and know him for 3 years of HS...

wow. i cant believe it.

sorry, just vent out how i wonder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back