The Lounge thread: Whatever you feel like......... Anything goes! Part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Jillio. I think I am often well understood.

I told you before my stepmother really has PTSD for standing up for me for years. :lol:
PTSD ? What's that ?

Well I'm just just now learning ASL, but I'm pretty sure I read that there is no sign for 'is' and such. So if you are speaking and signing at the same time. Would you go ahead and say is. And when you do does it mess up your signing?

Hope that doesn't sound stupid *blush*

No, it doesn't sound stupid at all.

I never speak and sign at the same time when using ASL. The reason is, one language is processed visually, which means that meaning is inferred spatially and through time. Spoken English is an auditory language, and meaning is inferred in a linear fashion. That means that the syntax of a visual language conveys things differently than the syntax of a spoken language. I always say that English is like describing a picture, whereas ASL is actually painting the picture. If you were going to say "The boy is climbing the tree." that syntax makes sense in a linear sense. However, in a time oriented, spatial sense, you would sign first what you would paint on the canvas: "Tree, boy, climb."

What makes sense to the eyes doesn't always make sense to the ears, and vice versa.

Does that help?

Bott really isn't a mean spirited person. She is simply direct and sometimes misunderstood as a result.

I am sure she isn't a mean spritied person. I just don't feel comfortable when others are treated that way.

No, it doesn't sound stupid at all.

I never speak and sign at the same time when using ASL. The reason is, one language is processed visually, which means that meaning is inferred spatially and through time. Spoken English is an auditory language, and meaning is inferred in a linear fashion. That means that the syntax of a visual language conveys things differently than the syntax of a spoken language. I always say that English is like describing a picture, whereas ASL is actually painting the picture. If you were going to say "The boy is climbing the tree." that syntax makes sense in a linear sense. However, in a time oriented, spatial sense, you would sign first what you would paint on the canvas: "Tree, boy, climb."

Does that help?

Yes it does a lot! Kind of like when I'm trying to translate things from Japanese into English. A lot of times when it's translated into English on paper how it was written it's backwards until I switch it into the order it should be in so other's can understand it.

Thank you so much for explaining it to me

Yes it does a lot! Kind of like when I'm trying to translate things from Japanese into English. A lot of times when it's translated into English on paper how it was written it's backwards until I switch it into the order it should be in so other's can understand it.

Thank you so much for explaining it to me

Any time!

My 'mother' has a husband that she is stringing along after 23 years of marriage and she keeps telling him that she'll come back to him but instead is acting like a 16 year old. My brother still lives at home. She doesn't care how this affects him

She also gets upset when my children spent time with their grandmother (husbands mom) ranting about how I never give her time with them. Just because I'm grown up doesn't mean she's not my mother and doesn't give her a right to jerk my stepfather and family around like she does.

If she wants to see her grandkids like she does she needs to stop acting so immaturely. There is no way I'd leave my kids with her the way she currently acts

Sorry to hear that. :hug:
Your story is similar like my brother's. My brother's wife's mother called DSS behind their back and the DSS people from social services dept took their small children away from them. Poor my brother and his wife! They were so upset and angry because they had no idea what's going on. So, they went to social services to find out what's up with that and they told them that they "abused" their two small daughters, which is not true. My brother told his wife's mother not to come at all after what she did to them. That was 10 years ago but they forgave her after they discovered that she is mental disorder.

Stop, halt, l'arret, etc posting here! Consider this as last post please.

I have created part XIII for your enjoyment! :)

MOD: Would you please kindly lock this thread with golden padlock, instead of cheap steel Padlock?

What happened to my special request, golden padlock not cheapo steel padlock?

What happened to my special request, golden padlock not cheapo steel padlock?

:mad2:
padlock.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back