The Importants of Gestures and Facial Expressions.

LittleBabyTalk

Reaction score
How Important Are American sign language expressions? Facial expressions and gestures when using sign language are really important. This is why some people are misunderstood. So next time your confused on how the perosns feeling try looking at the facial expression. You will soon learn that this helps. Doesn't matter if your deaf, hard of hearing, or hearing. This helps ALOT!!!

Signed,

Littlebabytalk:giggle:

Indeed.

Facial Expressions and Gestures are a BIG BIG BIG importance when it comes to using ASL or Sign Language. Also, not only because of that - We also use our mouth movements which is called memnephones (I'm not sure how to spell that one out - LOL - Feel free to correct me on that one, ha) but anyway, by using the mouth movement also relays a clearer message to get our point across.

Facial expressions are 100% necessary for ASL, as they act as part of the grammar and context. Everything is all about the face, and deaf people will look you directly in the eyes when talking. Many hearing people I know who are students of ASL have the biggest problem with facial expressions and eye contact. I think this is also one of the reasons actors make great signers/interpreters.

Indeed.

Facial Expressions and Gestures are a BIG BIG BIG importance when it comes to using ASL or Sign Language. Also, not only because of that - We also use our mouth movements which is called memnephones (I'm not sure how to spell that one out - LOL - Feel free to correct me on that one, ha) but anyway, by using the mouth movement also relays a clearer message to get our point across.

I remember that my MSSD advisor who was Deaf told me she'd find it easier to understand to understand me if i used facials expressions and guestures. I'm grateful for her advice.

I enjoy seeing other people's facial expressions as it helps me figure out their feeling and mouth movements but i find it hard to make facial expressions myself but i do try.

Indeed.

Morphemes :P

Very common for all Deaf people when they use sign language like ASL, BSL or LSQ because they need to express our facial and gestures to demonstrate what we meant to say and this helps a lot. How would you feel like a robot just only use sign language with out expressions? Whoa, that would be difficult to show not the emotions while signing. To me, it is like a mime. That tells the story. :cool2:

Back