The hearing and cochlear implant debate! Share your opinion!

No.

I advocate for CIs because I'm a CI recipient and enjoy sharing my experiences with others.

Having said that, I also advocate the use of ASL. I'm neither 100% pro-oral or 100% pro-ASL. I believe in a person using whatever comunication technique or techniques work best for them.

Thanks for answering.

No.

I advocate for CIs because I'm a CI recipient and enjoy sharing my experiences with others.

Having said that, I also advocate the use of ASL. I'm neither 100% pro-oral or 100% pro-ASL. I believe in a person using whatever comunication technique or techniques work best for them.

I agree with every word in this post. Just change recipent to parent of a recipent!

The lady DeafDude talked about, I am confused, does she not realize that her residual hearing is lost once they do the CI operation?

I know several adults who have gotten CI's. The results have been a wide range, from profound disappointment to satisfaction.

I am not for CI's especially as a cure for deafness and especially forced upon children and/or adults.
It needs to be an individuals decision.

The lady DeafDude talked about, I am confused, does she not realize that her residual hearing is lost once they do the CI operation?

I know several adults who have gotten CI's. The results have been a wide range, from profound disappointment to satisfaction.

I am not for CI's especially as a cure for deafness and especially forced upon children and/or adults.
It needs to be an individuals decision.

I don't think anyone believes that a CI is a cure for deafness. Anyone in their right mind knows that the person is still deaf, especially when the device comes off.

Also, as a parent of a CI user, the allusion that I "forced" my child to get a CI is incredibly offensive. I don't see anyone here saying that I "forced her to learn ASL" or that I "force her to go to Deaf school" while they are equally "true". When you are a parent you must make thosands of decisions for your child and often they are difficult, heart wrentching decesions. I "forced" her to have vaccinations and I know tons of people who think that was a bad decision. I don't. I think it was the right decision for my child, as was the implant.

I also do talks at my CI centre to potential candiates. My centre puts people of similar deafness (profound deaf since birth, good speech and CI in adulthood) as me in my group.

I have a question... is there anyone on the site that did not benifit from CI. I know one Travis (smithr) he had his removed due to on going headaches but i can't recall anyone else?

Another thing is that when i say that i am CI user some deaf people do get quite negative about it and we haven't done anything wrong, we have nothing against deaf people who believes in strong deaf culture/keeping the deaf community alive... so am I...but they are the ones who pushes us out.

I also do talks at my CI centre to potential candiates. My centre puts people of similar deafness (profound deaf since birth, good speech and CI in adulthood) as me in my group.

I have a question... is there anyone on the site that did not benifit from CI. I know one Travis (smithr) he had his removed due to on going headaches but i can't recall anyone else?

And yet his headaches continue LONG after it has been removed :hmm:

Another thing is that when i say that i am CI user some deaf people do get quite negative about it and we haven't done anything wrong, we have nothing against deaf people who believes in strong deaf culture/keeping the deaf community alive... so am I...but they are the ones who pushes us out.

Maybe Tinkerbell? And also Foxrac?

Last edited:
You understand a lot of nerves are cut and may grow back in wrong patterns?

Actually the surgeon does everything in his power to make sure no nerves are cut at all. My daughter's surgeon has been doing CI's for 20+ years and has never had a facial nerve injury.

Nothing in the brain in cut, or touched. The only thing that is cut is the skin (which would not cause a headache) and a small whole is drilled in the cochlea itself, which does not contain any nerves at all.

Actually the surgeon does everything in his power to make sure no nerves are cut at all. My daughter's surgeon has been doing CI's for 20+ years and has never had a facial nerve injury.

This is exactly why surgeons use a special machine during CI surgery to avoid coming into contact with the facial nerve.

Facial nerve paralysis is a rare complication of CI surgery.

Nothing in the brain in cut, or touched. The only thing that is cut is the skin (which would not cause a headache) and a small whole is drilled in the cochlea itself, which does not contain any nerves at all.

This is exactly why surgeons use a special machine during CI surgery to avoid coming into contact with the facial nerve.

Facial nerve paralysis is a rare complication of CI surgery.

but still a risk.

FDA Site
Risks from the Surgical Implant Procedure

* Injury to the facial nerve --this nerve goes through the middle ear to give movement to the muscles of the face. It lies close to where the surgeon needs to place the implant, and thus it can be injured during the surgery. An injury can cause a temporary or permanent weakening or full paralysis on the same side of the face as the implant.
* Meningitis --this is an infection of the lining of the surface of the brain. People who have abnormally formed inner ear structures appear to be at greater risk of this rare, but serious complication. For more information on the risk of meningitis in cochlear recipients, please refer to FDA's Public Health Notification: US FDA/CDRH: FDA Public Health Notification: Importance of Vaccination in Cochlear Implant Recipients and its Advice to Patients: Medical Device Safety: Advice for Patients with Cochlear Implants: New Information on Meningitis Risk
* Cerebrospinal fluid leakage --the brain is surrounded by fluid that may leak from a hole created in the inner ear or elsewhere from a hole in the covering of the brain as a result of the surgical procedure.
* Perilymph fluid leak --the inner ear or cochlea contains fluid. This fluid can leak through the hole that was created to place the implant.
* Infection of the skin wound.
* Blood or fluid collection at the site of surgery.
* Attacks of dizziness or vertigo.
* Tinnitus, which is a ringing or buzzing sound in the ear.
* Taste disturbances --the nerve that gives taste sensation to the tongue also goes through the middle ear and might be injured during the surgery.
* Numbness around the ear.
* Reparative granuloma --this is the result of localized inflammation that can occur if the body rejects the implant.
* There may be other unforeseen complications that could occur with long term implantation that we cannot now predict.

I don't see where it says headaches....

see last sentence - "There may be other unforeseen complications that could occur with long term implantation that we cannot now predict."

I guess you can put "headaches" in that part :dunno:

have anyone research on young kids like toddlers' heads, will CI thingy shape up those kids' heads differently once they get older? :dunno:

I have seen of a very few people who are no longer using CI and their heads were shaped a little that they had CI when they were kiddos. They are over 30's.

see last sentence - "There may be other unforeseen complications that could occur with long term implantation that we cannot now predict."

I guess you can put "headaches" in that part :dunno:

That is meant to reference the fact that they have no idea (past 20 years) what the affect of stimulating the nerve via electricity is.

have anyone research on young kids like toddlers' heads, will CI thingy shape up those kids' heads differently once they get older? :dunno:

No.

The CI comforms to the bone growth surrounding it. The only evidence of having a CI is a very small bump located just above and behind the ear.

Back