The Gospels are not Historical

Status
Not open for further replies.
Codger said:
Teddy bears and lollypops don't work any more? You make it sound like that is SOP with our police forces. Ravensteve? Is that you? :eek:
Lol, Codger, nope.
I am rather bemused that this thread is going wayyyyy off topic and now we are bashing the French. I have not heard of the French police tasering and handcuffing children, while I read of the American police doing it on an almost daily basis. This is by no means a slight towards our police. Rather, it is just an observation.
It is highly amusing that we claim moral superiority over other nations. That all by itself is hardly practicing Christian principles.
Oh well.

Codger said:
Obviously people who commit crimes are not practicing the Christian religion, now are they? Look at the composition of the criminals that make up these statistics. Not exactly Fellowship of Christian Athelete candidates, now are they?

Huh? How do you explain religious war going on all over the world? What about those preists abusing children?

Reba said:
Sorry, you are wrong. The communist philosophy is atheistic. That is the official party line, although some communist constitutions declare that they have "freedom of religion." Some communist countries (such as China) "allow" state-approved churches.

Sorry, wrong again.

You crack me up... you actually believe Communist's party line... we all very well know they are huge propaganda machine and very interested in retaining tight, abusive & brutual controls on general population and keep majority of state's wealth within Communist party members!

Beowulf said:
Lol, Codger, nope.
I am rather bemused that this thread is going wayyyyy off topic and now we are bashing the French. I have not heard of the French police tasering and handcuffing children, while I read of the American police doing it on an almost daily basis. This is by no means a slight towards our police. Rather, it is just an observation.
It is highly amusing that we claim moral superiority over other nations. That all by itself is hardly practicing Christian principles.
Oh well.
I'm sorry, but the French are such easy targets!

American police doing it on an almost daily basis? Ouch! Then it should be no trouble to show me ten seperate instances of each! Or five?

How would the world look today if America had kept it's morals, money, and military at home for the last, say, hundred years? What of the French (couldn't resist)? And what would have happened to Britain? Maybe it is high time we found out. Maybe keep it all home for say, five years.

Swede said:
You crack me up... you actually believe Communist's party line... we all very well know they are huge propaganda machine and very interested in retaining tight, abusive & brutual controls on general population and keep majority of state's wealth within Communist party members!
Prior to its collapse in late 1991, official figures on the number of religious believers in the Soviet Union were not available. But according to various Soviet and Western sources, over one-third of the people in the Soviet Union, an officially atheistic state, professed religious belief. Christianity and Islam had the most believers. Christians belonged to various churches: Orthodox, which had the largest number of followers; Catholic; and Baptist and various other Protestant sects. The majority of the Islamic faithful were Sunni. Judaism also had many followers. Other religions, which were practiced by a relatively small number of believers, included Buddhism, Lamaism, and shamanism, a religion based on primitive spiritualism.

The role of religion in the daily lives of Soviet citizens varied greatly. Because Islamic religious tenets and social values of Muslims are closely interrelated, religion appeared to have a greater influence on Muslims than on either Christians or other believers. Two-thirds of the Soviet population, however, had no religious beliefs. About half the people, including members of the ruling Communist Party and high-level government officials, professed atheism. For the majority of Soviet citizens, therefore, religion seemed irrelevant.

Soviet policy toward religion has been based on the ideology of Marxism-Leninism, which has made atheism the official doctrine of the Soviet Union. Marxism-Leninism has consistently advocated the control, suppression, and, ultimately, the elimination of religious beliefs. In the 1920s and 1930s, such organizations as the League of the Militant Godless ridiculed all religions and harassed believers. Propagation of atheism in schools has been another consistent policy. The regime's efforts to eradicate religion in the Soviet Union, however, have varied over the years with respect to particular religions and have been affected by higher state interests.

http://www.grohol.com/psypsych/wiki/Religion_in_the_Soviet_Union

netrox said:
If Jesus was alive today, he would definitely ADVOCATE communism. Jesus told the rich to give up their material wealth and redistribute to the poor. That statment definitely supports communism.
I don't think so.
Jesus wants Christians to voluntarily give up their wealth;
communism takes people's wealth--big difference!

Swede said:
Huh? How do you explain religious war going on all over the world?
"Religions" are established by man; therefore, those are man-made wars.

What about those preists abusing children?
What about them? They are individuals committing awful sins. Obviously they are not living holy as Jesus commands.

Swede said:
Ha, ha, you crack me up! You think I believe Communist propaganda? Unreal! Without going further off-topic, or into too much detail, I will just say for now that I am very familiar with how the Communist party has operated and does operate around the world. I am very aware of its abusive and controlling ways. I never denied that. I only stated that Communist oppression of religion was not for the reason of just keeping groups of people from assembling.

Swede said:
Simple - to prevent corruption that can happen with single cop or partner in crime.
I thought your point was that non-religious French people were much more moral than Christian Americans. If that is true, why do they need back up to prevent corruption? Can't they be trusted?

I don't think so. Jesus wants Christians to voluntarily give up their wealth;
communism takes people's wealth--big difference!

No, he would advocate communism. He said, "meek to the poor, woe to the rich." and advised people to give up wealth and give it to the poor. That's communism. He does not believe you should have wealth, just like communists believe you should not have wealth. So, if you want to practice the way Christ wanted you to, you should be a communist, pure and simple.

Jesus was irrational back then and is still irrational by today's standards. If you met a man with the mind of Jesus Christ, you'd think he should be committed in a mental hospital. But again, many revolutionary ideas were started by irrational people.

-jeff

netrox said:
No, he would advocate communism. He said, "meek to the poor, woe to the rich." and advised people to give up wealth and give it to the poor. That's communism.
No, that is not communism. Communism takes the wealth and possessions of people by force. Jesus never said that the government should take the wealth of someone by force.

He does not believe you should have wealth, just like communists believe you should not have wealth.
Jesus didn't say that no one should have wealth. He said that we should not depend on wealth for our joy. We should use our wealth to help other people. That does not mean all Christians must give all their money to other people. We are supposed to be good stewards of our money and use it wisely.
Communists believe in wealth for themselves.

Reba said:
I thought your point was that non-religious French people were much more moral than Christian Americans. If that is true, why do they need back up to prevent corruption? Can't they be trusted?

Not quite - my point is that being non-religious doesn't make you a bad person. Being Christian doesn't mean one's more moral than others. Saying it otherwise is just bogus. I respect your beliefs & opinions... I believe everyone is equal, regardless of their beliefs, even if they don't worship or don't believe in God - as long as they all respect each other and don't harm others.

I just find it sad that people inflict physical harm or even kill because of their religious beliefs - like Eric Rudolph bombing abortion clinic & gay nightclub in Atlanta.

Swede, DO You know who is John Calvin? He brought the captialism world to our world. He used the bible verses to support that the Bible encourages us to do the captialism style. The problems with our American is that we are GREEDY captialism. John Calvin did not asked for the GREEDY but just a captialism. The bible commands us to work hard and deserve something. I can give you all the verses with captialism thing in the Bible.

Swede said:
I just find it sad that people inflict physical harm or even kill because of their religious beliefs - like Eric Rudolph bombing abortion clinic & gay nightclub in Atlanta.

I agree with you wholeheartly, Just because the bible doesn't approve abortion or homosexual, that doesn't give anyone a right to kill; isn't that against the bible too? That's why some religious beliefs thinks that they can judge because the bible tells them so, to make it right to follow God, but still they are doing the wrong thing too by killing and being judgement When It's only God who can judge, only God holds our fate where we will go when we die not those religious people. :)

I agree with you wholeheartly, Just because the bible doesn't approve abortion or homosexual, that doesn't give anyone a right to kill; isn't that against the bible too?

Killing is not against the Bible, murder is. However the Bible lets you kill your own children if your children disobey you, kill homosexuals, kill women, babies, etc. just they aren't "holy."

-jeff

netrox said:
Killing is not against the Bible, murder is. However the Bible lets you kill your own children if your children disobey you, kill homosexuals, kill women, babies, etc. just they aren't "holy."

-jeff

I don't agree with that, I think that is wrong. Just because they're aren't holy? Nobody on this earth is perfect, we all are a sinners.

netrox said:

-jeff

That is liberal thinking. In fact the Bible didn't say this in NT. In OT and they do like that for God's plan and God permission those events to occur for his plan.

Cheri said:
I agree with you wholeheartly, Just because the bible doesn't approve abortion or homosexual, that doesn't give anyone a right to kill; isn't that against the bible too? That's why some religious beliefs thinks that they can judge because the bible tells them so, to make it right to follow God, but still they are doing the wrong thing too by killing and being judgement When It's only God who can judge, only God holds our fate where we will go when we die not those religious people. :)
:thumb:

Crazymanw00t said:
That is liberal thinking. In fact the Bible didn't say this in NT. In OT and they do like that for God's plan and God permission those events to occur for his plan.
Suddenly, the New Testament says that it's not okay to kill others... when the Old Testament says that we should "stone another to death" for minor crimes. Can't God make up his mind? If God actually did change his mind, then that shows that God isn't perfect. Therefore, the belief that God is perfect is wrong. ;)

VamPyroX said:
Suddenly, the New Testament says that it's not okay to kill others... when the Old Testament says that we should "stone another to death" for minor crimes. Can't God make up his mind? If God actually did change his mind, then that shows that God isn't perfect. Therefore, the belief that God is perfect is wrong. ;)

Yeah I see your points. The unbelievers said they should stone them for crimes. God used that events to occurs for his plan. Everything from past to forever is under God's plan and we do not know why he is doing like this. This world is his and it is God plan and we are his people. He has his own purpose for our future for the believers people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back