The gift of hearing....do you cherish it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep telling that to yourself.
The same tactics that have been used since he rode into town. "If you don't agree with me, you are an idiot." The guy comes to a site devoted to deaf and HOH people, then begins to spout off about what a great thing hearing is. Even the blind can see the arrogance. Sorry, I don't buy it. Feel free to attack again and again with your college words, Oh Mighty Hearing Man. I am just a little boy with no edjukashun.

Rather, it's those who like to jump the bandwagon when all of sudden their sensibilities get challenged. It's a typical but not wholly an unexpected response, especially in here. I post a thread, and some of you go nuts. The above and other posts illustrate my point all along.

If you want to have a discourse, fine. I'm all for it. But to make it personal just because you disagree doesn't make you any better than the rest of them.

That's not the impression I get from your posts.

The same tactics that have been used since he rode into town. "If you don't agree with me, you are an idiot." The guy comes to a site devoted to deaf and HOH people, then begins to spout off about what a great thing hearing is. Even the blind can see the arrogance. Sorry, I don't buy it. Feel free to attack again and again with your college words, Oh Mighty Hearing Man. I am just a little boy with no edjukashun.

That's the same impression I get too. It was nothing but negative comments about Gallaudet, the Deaf community and now this thread. If he is so happy being hearing, great but to put others down because they cherish Deaf culture and being deaf, that's uneccessary.

The gift of hearing, do you cherish what hearing you have? Or do not? If you do cherish your hearing explain why.

As for me, the answer is obvious, yes, I do cherish my hearing! It has given me so much and I'm thankful for my hearing aid. My hearing has allowed me to enjoy a wide ranging sound to enjoy, and has also allowed me to communicate and listen, too. I don't take my hearing for granted but I certainly do thank God for the gift of hearing I was given, even though not complete. I am proud to be hard of hearing. It makes one realizes just how precious and fragile the gift of hearing is.

We are on differant sides of the fence here. I was also born HOH. I was ever so glad when that hearing eventually went. In fact I wish I was born with a profound hearing loss so I would have stood more chance of getting visual communication. (Yes, I know some parents make their profoundly deaf children speak but I'm sure mine would have realised it was pointless). The need for sign language isn't as obvious for a HOH child then it is for someone profoundly deaf.

However, I also don't think that disagreeing with this poster gives anyone an excuse to personally attack him.

That's the same impression I get too. It was nothing but negative comments about Gallaudet, the Deaf community and now this thread. If he is so happy being hearing, great but to put others down because they cherish Deaf culture and being deaf, that's uneccessary.

I have been surprised that this thread has been allowed to exist. Maybe all of us can visit a hearie site and rave about the benefits of deafness and constant tinnitus. :roll:

I have been surprised that this thread has been allowed to exist. Maybe all of us can visit a hearie site and rave about the benefits of deafness and constant tinnitus. :roll:

I have nothing against people who cherish their hearing but to make negative comments about deafness or support organizations that discriminate against deaf people is rude in a forum of deaf people.

I have nothing against people who cherish their hearing but to make negative comments about deafness or support organizations that discriminate against deaf people is rude in a forum of deaf people.

I kinda thought that myself but then again, it's not my place to protest. :whistle:

It might be an attention garnering tactic. Maybe there is a book coming out soon. :giggle:

saywaykid, it's all about the attention. We all were taught in kindergarten how to treat other people kindly. Some people ignored the lessons and pushed ahead to the front of the line.

saywaykid, it's all about the attention. We all were taught in kindergarten how to treat other people kindly. Some people ignored the lessons and pushed ahead to the front of the line.

I am sure I will get a backlash for my comments. :D

:giggle: This is the time when I cherish being DeafBlind.

Deaf and Blind to sheer ignorance.

:giggle:

I'm deafblind too but I do admit I cherish my residual hearing. My residual vision (which is really very little) not so much.

Good. That is the topic of this thread. Nothing was said about other organizations in this thread.

Good. That is the topic of this thread. Nothing was said about other organizations in this thread.

But plenty of negative things have been said about deafness, in this thread and others, and it all comes from the same place.

But plenty of negative things have been said about deafness, in this thread and others, and it all comes from the same place.

Kinda sad when the original poster derailed his own thread?

The whole thing could had been avoided if the "World Can Hear" thing wasn't linked to in the first place.

Kinda sad when the original poster derailed his own thread?

The whole thing could had been avoided if the "World Can Hear" thing wasn't linked to in the first place.

Quite sad. And even sadder that the OP cannot differentiate between a marketing campaign and altruism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back