The "F" word

gnarlydorkette

Reaction score
What is the "F" word...? Feminism.

That word is getting uglier. People cringe at that word. People is using the "F" word as a obscure word to insult a woman. Why? Why is "feminism" turning into a "F" word??
Be PROUD to be a Feminist...! Don't let the society turn that name into a obscenity!
And it is not for women only anymore-- Men can be feminists if they accept and instill the feminist values and apply the equality between sexes to self and everybdoy else by educating everybody else!

The word feminist was introduced in the U.S. in 1895 and has been used as a rallying cry for women and a term of derision against them ever since. Time Magazine declared feminism dead in 1998 (as hundreds of books and articles have for the past 100 years), but feminism remains too necessary to die of embarrassment - even if many have been scared away from the word.

Why not choose a less offensive word? "A natural response is to change the word feminist to a word with fewer stigmas attached. But inevitably the same thing will happen to that magical word. Part of the radical connotation of feminism is not due to the word, but to the action. The act of a woman standing up for herself is radical, whether she calls herself a feminist or not."
- Paula Kamen, feminist

"We ask justice, we ask equality, we ask that all civil and political rights that belong to the citizens of the United States be guaranteed to us and our daughters forever."
- Susan B. Anthony, 19th- & early 20th-century leader of the Women's Movement

"I used to go on college campuses 25 years ago and announce I was a feminist, and people thought it meant I believed in free love and was available for a quick hop in the sack. ... Now I go on college campuses and say I'm a feminist, and half of them think it means I'm a lesbian. How'd we get from there to here without passing "Go"?

"Feminism is the radical notion that women are human beings"
-Cheris Kramerae, author of A Feminist Dictionary, 1996.

Quotes found from: http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~elk/feminismquotes.html
http://www.thef-word.org/

REMEMBER!!
You don't have to be SINGLE, RADICAL, LESBIAN, SMART, or WHITE to be a Feminist!

Speak up! Let everybdoy know that you are not scared of the "F" word- FEMINISM!!

gnarlydorkette said:
What is the "F" word...? Feminism.

That word is getting uglier. People cringe at that word. People is using the "F" word as a obscure word to insult a woman. Why? Why is "feminism" turning into a "F" word??
Be PROUD to be a Feminist...! Don't let the society turn that name into a obscenity!
And it is not for women only anymore-- Men can be feminists if they accept and instill the feminist values and apply the equality between sexes to self and everybdoy else by educating everybody else!

Quotes found from: http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~elk/feminismquotes.html
http://www.thef-word.org/

REMEMBER!!
You don't have to be SINGLE, RADICAL, LESBIAN, SMART, or WHITE to be a Feminist!

Speak up! Let everybdoy know that you are not scared of the "F" word- FEMINISM!!
Even though I am a guy but here's "amen"! If not for feminist movement, women may will not have some rights as what they have in present. I noticed that some Christian-organizations (example: Christian Coalition) altered the interpretation of "feminism" and claimed that it is part of "KKK". I am not joking. They are scared of everything but their twisted political ideals & beliefs.

Anyway, I am going to pm you the link to one of good feminist blogs that I frequently read. I think you will like that blog.

Edit: lol, this quote is good: "I became a feminist as an alternative to becoming a masochist." - Sally Kempton, journalist

That easily win the argument against anti-women rights organizations.

There is a reason why Women fought for their rights.

Long ago... there were a lot of farmers.....
And when the women's husbands died...
they couldn't own the land...

So now... women can own or inherit land
after their husbands die.
And not have to worry about being homeless.

But abortion, I just don't see that as a right.
I don't agree with abortion....

Am I right? :ugh2:

"F" word

:gpost: :smoking: :beer: Well as a daughter of a activist, hippee, peace maker; and a protester for equal rights "I say feminists are here to stay.: Whether people like to admit it or not, women will never stand equal to men, in the workplace or in politics. My mom protested right along w/ Martin L. King for equal rights for all, yet we still have segregation, for men and women regardless of their color. Feminist isn't a dirty word, just a word that men are afraid to say or believe in! I love when a man offers to open a door for me or any women for that matter, but it pisses me off that when offered a pay raise it is never the same as what a man will receive. Feminism: eqaul rights, equal pay, equal for everyone!!! Not a choice, but a Right!!!!!!

Back