The Economics of Cochlear Implants and Deafness?

I get defensive because I have had the experience of people telling me point blank that my accomplishments and experiences are not worth listening to *because* I'm post lingual. It came across as "more of the same." Glad its not that way, and thank you for your good thoughts.

You're quite welcome, and I'm glad we got it straightened out. And I disagree...your experiences can be very valuable for other postlinguals.

I get defensive because I have had the experience of people telling me point blank that my accomplishments and experiences are not worth listening to *because* I'm post lingual. It came across as "more of the same." Glad its not that way, and thank you for your good thoughts.

Neecy,

Your experiences are valuable to everyone either with a ci or considering one for either themselves or for their child. It was adults like you who were able to give us valuable insights when we were considering the ci for our child.

So please keep sharing and posting!
Rick

Neecy,

Your experiences are valuable to everyone either with a ci or considering one for either themselves or for their child. It was adults like you who were able to give us valuable insights when we were considering the ci for our child.

So please keep sharing and posting!
Rick

Can you please explain exactly how postlingual experience is particularly relevent for prelingual results?

Can you please explain exactly how postlingual experience is particularly relevent for prelingual results?

It is not relevent for me...(no offense to any posties here) cuz I have no IDEA what is like to have normal hearing like they did. I have no idea what it is like to go from being hearing to deaf. I have no idea what it must be like having to adjust to that major change. I have no idea of the trauma or emotional feelings they must have felt having lost their hearing. I cant ever say that I know how they feel cuz I have been deaf all my life and this is all I know. I dont know how their experiences could be used to set policies for educational approaches for people like me. :dunno:

It is not relevent for me...(no offense to any posties here) cuz I have no IDEA what is like to have normal hearing like they did. I have no idea what it is like to go from being hearing to deaf. I have no idea what it must be like having to adjust to that major change. I have no idea of the trauma or emotional feelings they must have felt having lost their hearing. I cant ever say that I know how they feel cuz I have been deaf all my life and this is all I know. I dont know how their experiences could be used to set policies for educational approaches for people like me. :dunno:

And that is the whole point. That is why I have said that their experience is indeed a valuable resource for other posties, and that it should be shared in that context. I think neecy and I cleared that up earlier.

And that is the whole point. That is why I have said that their experience is indeed a valuable resource for other posties, and that it should be shared in that context. I think neecy and I cleared that up earlier.

I am sure if I get a CI, I would still need accodomations.

I am sure if I get a CI, I would still need accodomations.

It depends on the situation and individual in a lot of cases. Accommodations seem to be most often needed in classroom or meeting situations where there are a lot of people who may potentially be speaking. They seem to be least needed in one on one interactions or small groups, which for some people, constitutes the majority of their day to day interactions. However, some CI users might still need an interpreter even for one on one contact, especially if they were signers before CI and their benefit from CI was limited to environmental sounds.

I never use an interpreter or notetaker in my current situation but I'm sure that if I went back into the educational environment where there was large class discussions I would need something too. However, if I was in an one on one or small group such as seeing the GP or going for a job interview with a small panel, I wouldn't need an interpreter.

Since a larger number of people from different backgrounds have CIs these days, there is going to be quite a lot of variability in terms of their needs.

It depends on the situation and individual in a lot of cases. Accommodations seem to be most often needed in classroom or meeting situations where there are a lot of people who may potentially be speaking. They seem to be least needed in one on one interactions or small groups, which for some people, constitutes the majority of their day to day interactions. However, some CI users might still need an interpreter even for one on one contact, especially if they were signers before CI and their benefit from CI was limited to environmental sounds.

I never use an interpreter or notetaker in my current situation but I'm sure that if I went back into the educational environment where there was large class discussions I would need something too. However, if I was in an one on one or small group such as seeing the GP or going for a job interview with a small panel, I wouldn't need an interpreter.

Since a larger number of people from different backgrounds have CIs these days, there is going to be quite a lot of variability in terms of their needs.

Well, I never needed accodomations for one on one situations..just only in classrooms or lectures. I never had an interpreter for any of the jobs that I have interviewed in. :dunno:

This is why I feel that kids with CIs should not be restricted to an oral only environment in the educational setting but that is another topic to be discussed in another thread.

Well, I never needed accodomations for one on one situations..just only in classrooms or lectures. I never had an interpreter for any of the jobs that I have interviewed in. :dunno:

Sorry, I'm not sure what you are trying to say with your personal experience? I was just making a general comment that people's accommodation needs after CI vary depending on their communication background and that CI users being an increasingly diverse group, have a wide variation in their needs.

Yes and I agree that it's useful for a child to know sign so that if they were one of those who need a lot of accommodations, they can take advantage of different options in the educational environment and also during times when they cannot wear their CIs e.g bath, bed, swimming pool etc.

Sorry, I'm not sure what you are trying to say with your personal experience? I was just making a general comment that people's accommodation needs after CI vary depending on their communication background and that CI users being an increasingly diverse group, have a wide variation in their needs.

Yes and I agree that it's useful for a child to know sign so that if they were one of those who need a lot of accommodations, they can take advantage of different options in the educational environment and also during times when they cannot wear their CIs e.g bath, bed, swimming pool etc.

I am just saying that even with hearing aids, I never needed accodomations in one on on situations with non-signers and if the CI is supposed to be a step up or better than HAs, then why the need for accodomations? I dont see the difference..maybe better clarity in sound and speech but isnt the same message being conveyed between two parties though?

I am just saying that even with hearing aids, I never needed accodomations in one on on situations with non-signers and if the CI is supposed to be a step up or better than HAs, then why the need for accodomations? I dont see the difference..maybe better clarity in sound and speech but isnt the same message being conveyed between two parties though?

Because the CI is not a cure for deafness. If an adult of our age could not previously interact with one on one non signing communication and has never had auditory verbal therapy before their CI, then there is little chance that will change after CI.

After I lost my residual hearing, I could no longer do one on one interactions without a lot of help, but after CI I now can again and even better than when I did well with HAs.

So it depends on the background of the person concerned. You can't compare everyone to your own personal experience.

Sorry, but no, for I know that you have no genuine interest in the response and BTW it is patently obvious. So I guess I have explained it after all!

Sorry, but no, for I know that you have no genuine interest in the response and BTW it is patently obvious. So I guess I have explained it after all!

Actually, no, you've explained nothing. But I guess that is to be expected.

If I were taking Art classes, I would not need a note taker or a terp as they tend to be light on lectures but if I were in a class that is heavy on lectures or had a lot of discussions, I'd certainly need a note taker or a terp/both depending on the class and the teacher doing lectures. I have poor auditory memory and I need visual stuff like notes to remember stuff.

I didn't need much help on a one to one basis before I got implanted. Nor will I need a terp for for a one to one interview.

If I were taking Art classes, I would not need a note taker or a terp as they tend to be light on lectures but if I were in a class that is heavy on lectures or had a lot of discussions, I'd certainly need a note taker or a terp/both depending on the class and the teacher doing lectures. I have poor auditory memory and I need visual stuff like notes to remember stuff.

I didn't need much help on a one to one basis before I got implanted. Nor will I need a terp for for a one to one interview.

I can relate to that. I don't even use HA at a daily basis, and still do fine without terps at one to one interview beeing stone deaf. It's a great skill for me as I often go offshore or in other extreme conditions where listening devices don't survive.

It is not relevent for me...(no offense to any posties here) cuz I have no IDEA what is like to have normal hearing like they did. I have no idea what it is like to go from being hearing to deaf. . :dunno:

but have any of us post lingals ever expericenced normal hearing? I'm not so sure I ever had excellent speech perception even as a young child. So I have no recollection of ever being able to hear pretty much everything, really one who has a mild/mod hearing loss misses much, just as aiding a severe hearing loss to the mild/mod range still causes stresses because of what is missed. So I to have no idea what hearing normally really is. So a CI to me is quite normal.

There are late deafen adults who have to still use some type of accommodation even with a CI. It is an individual thing.

That is very similar to my daughter's sitiuation, in college she has no accomodations in her art classes and most other courses but was offered the choice of a note taker or c-print for certain lecture based courses. After having the experience of getting lousy notes she now choses the c-print. Unlike you she is primarily an auditory learner, not visual however my hearing daughter is primarily a visual learner and not auditorily!
Rick

Back