The Dreaded Jury Duty Summons Letter

I would say that, on average, jury duty rarely goes beyond 5 days.
oh those poor jurors of OJ Simpsons trial.... :laugh2:

Lucia, Have you tried a chiropractor for your back? It might help. Sometimes getting the spine straightened help other health problems improve. Try it if you haven't.

As for jury duty, check off any reasons why you shouldn't serve and send it off. My guy actually checked off "single parent with children at home to watch". Really.

My mom said something that she knew would get her off the jury duty one time and she got booted with a smile.

I guess I got flagged for good because no one in NY and FL bother me anymore.

Good Luck!

Did the court make you stay in a hotel with no TV, no literature, no internet and no connection to the outside world? I have heard of that happening to some jurors. Ugh, I would hate that. 3 weeks? I would be SO BORED serving on a jury. Fuck that! I have ADD, so my attention span is crap! And, they pay SHIT, much less than what your job probably pay now. Like $5 a day or something? Screw that. I want much more than that if they want me to serve on a jury. Hell, I want $100 a day!
It depends on the court case.

If it was a trial that was so serious that no outside media was allowed, then you would likely be placed in a hotel like that. If it was a normal trial where the media is hardly influential, then you would likely be permitted to go home. :)

Ever see Jury Duty with Pauly Shore? ;)

Well, I am glad i saw this thread because I still haven't mailed my jury duty questioniare back yet. It was in my mailbox when I returned from my week long holiday! I can not believe that we have to buy a stamp to put on it to get it mailed. I pay everything on line. I have no stamps. It is really inconvenient and I've had this thing for over a week! I know I sound like a spoiled brat.

As for the hearing thing, I personally do not want to waste my time sitting on a jury panel. It is hard work to pay attention while carrying a severe hearing loss. I mean, I have to understand what each side is saying, stupid witnesses who prolly won't even speak clearly....a yucky judge...and then other members of the jury. Yeh, right. Ain't doing it. If the gov't wants something from me, they can just look at my freaking tax return to the state, county, IRS. I have to feed my children so I have to work. I so do not want to do this. I put severe hearing loss on my questionaire. I will mail it from work tomorrow.

I wasn't sure where to put this thread in, so if this is the wrong place to put this thread in, MODS, please feel free to move it to a more appropriate place.

Anyway, I got the dreaded jury duty summons letter. I'm to show up at the courthouse at 8 am on the 29th. I honestly don't want to go in, for so many reasons. It's not that I don't wanna do it.

I have health problems. I have 2 injured discs in my lower back and I cannot sit in a waiting room all day to be interviewed to see if I am a candidate for jury duty. And if I am picked to do jury duty, I would be missing my electrotherapy sessions at PT (they help me with my back pain - like a TENS unit - google it and you will understand). I cannot postpone or miss my PT appointments. If I miss one my back bitches at me for missing it. I need to go regularly to keep my back/spine pain in check. I cannot serve on a jury adequately if I am constantly in pain due to lack of electrotherapy treatments. I can't even sit for two hours straight at my PC anymore due to my spine pain. My spine will really hate me for sitting all day at the courthouse and I will pay dearly for it for days afterwards with lots of pain.

And...honestly, I don't wanna go wait in a room all day to see whether they want me or not. I don't want to get up at 6 am. I hate mornings.

I don't care if it sounds unamerican. I don't care. Please do not preach at me that it is my "duty" to go serve on a jury. You know the reasons now why I can't serve on a jury.

Now, I am researching on how to get out of even showing up at the courthouse to be interviewed to see if I am a candidate to serve on the jury.

Anyone got any ideas?

I am always dreading it. I started driving about month and half ago. Now you mention it. I am dreading it. :lol:

You're right. It's same with me. I went to chircopractic for my lower back.

Lucia, I suggest you go to Chircopractic to adjust your back. You can check it out at thread here http://www.alldeaf.com/general-health/49524-experience-back-problems.html
I am sorry about off topic.

Lucia, Have you tried a chiropractor for your back? It might help. Sometimes getting the spine straightened help other health problems improve. Try it if you haven't.

As for jury duty, check off any reasons why you shouldn't serve and send it off. My guy actually checked off "single parent with children at home to watch". Really.

My mom said something that she knew would get her off the jury duty one time and she got booted with a smile.

I guess I got flagged for good because no one in NY and FL bother me anymore.

Good Luck!

Secretly I'd like to experience being summon for jury duty. Never in my life have I ever been called for one. Don't know if that is a good thing.:P

I read this thread. I never get call or summons letter from Jury Duty before. :dunno2: My mom went to Jury Duty last 2 months ago. She told me. It's not fun! It's very boring! My longest friend didn't want to go Jury Duty before my wedding day. She said it was boring. My deaf teacher went to Jury Duty with an interpreter.

Why did Jury Duty Summons letter sent to deaf and hoh to go?? I can't hear. What if I get letter from Jury Duty. I don't really like to go either. I don't know what I can do? How did Jury Duty know every resident's home address to contact??

I know it's not fun! If I don't send a letter or not come show up. I would get in trouble. I have to fill out and mail it. That's suck!

Your name can be on the list of jury duty if you are a registered voter in where you live or if you have a driver's license or state identification card

Your name can be on the list of jury duty if you are a registered voter in where you live or if you have a driver's license or state identification card

Yeah, I do have registered voter and state identification.

I read this thread. I never get call or summons letter from Jury Duty before. :dunno2: My mom went to Jury Duty last 2 months ago. She told me. It's not fun! It's very boring! My longest friend didn't want to go Jury Duty before my wedding day. She said it was boring. My deaf teacher went to Jury Duty with an interpreter.

Why did Jury Duty Summons letter sent to deaf and hoh to go?? I can't hear. What if I get letter from Jury Duty. I don't really like to go either. I don't know what I can do? How did Jury Duty know every resident's home address to contact??

I know it's not fun! If I don't send a letter or not come show up. I would get in trouble. I have to fill out and mail it. That's suck!
Jury duty isn't supposed to be "fun"; it's not entertainment. Jury duty is a duty for American citizens.

If you have a good reason that you can't serve on jury, then the court will excuse you. Just inform them of your reason.

Since you are in Texas... i dont know about the courts there would get an interpreter??? But you are under Doctor s care right now... You can ask your doctor for a proof of your health issues.... More likely you will be excused...

doesn't matter what state you live in. If you are summoned for jury duty they are required to provide an interpreter. Most likely, they will excuse you so they won't have to continue to provide that support service.

Back