The difference in technology to help the deaf children hear, then and now

GNU, I know you have good intentions, too. Everyone has their own opinion and that is what makes this world an interesting place to live in! I'm sorry to hear about your relationship with Kim and I wish you the best in your interests! One wisdom I'd advise you to listen is that hating anything is a waste of time ;)

Back to the point, what I've gotten from this thread is that modern CI technology and knowledge has made the operation a hundred times easier on both the surgeon and the implantee.

:fart:
gnulinuxman said:
The article in your sig fails to cite any sources (such as where they found ASL interpreters spreading lies).
I haven't said ANYTHING about Fragmenter in a long time, and the last conversation I had with him privately was friendly. SO SHUT UP!!! :P (By the way, the fact that it isn't reversible is why I am against CI's in children.)Don't you think it is about time to stop acting like some CI salesperson and actually be objective? Seriously, you keep saying that CI's are the only good "solution" to deafness just because your daughter loves hers. And some of your statements are absurd (like when you said "Naturally, people hear", when you know that deaf people don't hear naturally).
(hey, where is the VOMIT icon????) Roadrunner? Alex? Vampy?

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” - Coretta Scott King

Fragmenter said:
Back to the point, what I've gotten from this thread is that modern CI technology and knowledge has made the operation a hundred times easier on both the surgeon and the implantee.
Joining you back on topic...

What to think about the computer technology and software that is available now compared to 15 years ago. Thanks to that technology CI can work more effectively than before.
In a way it also gives a problem. How to compare someone who got CI 10 years ago with someone 5 years ago with now. Allready with these CI-ers there is a difference in technology.

Fragmenter said:
Nothing kinky please, ladies :whistle:

:rofl:

Hahaha!

Nah, there will be nothing kinky, because I have a boyfriend. But I would love to meet people from AD to make friends!

deafdyke said:
Define good benifit. Like how many are functionally hoh with the CI? The benifit is just so scattered, especially with prelingals who got poor benifit from hearing aids. (note.....most kids get significent benifit from hearing aids, and the research indicates that kids can hear better with the CI if they heard normally at one time. Kids who were born deaf make up only about 10% of the dhh population)
"

Good benefit would be moving the receptive understanding into a higher catagory. ex. I was concidered only severe/mod hearing loss and would say now it's probably only mild with the CI. I concider that a hugh improvement. With a child learning language the potential to hear in a more mild range of hearing loss would translate into less need to spend years in speech learning to say sounds that they wouldn't even be able to hear with only a HA. I do admit this is based on my experience, but children under three would just be gaining listening and speech skills so the benefit to that group would be great.

But even if all the child gained from a CI was the ablitly to hear a siren while up 5 stories in a building (which I never heard with HA's) and other sounds that alert him to danger that itself would be of great benefit. Yes deaf children learn to adjust.

If I based everything on my CI experience I'd say implant even kids who get some benefit from HA's cause the CI is a much better technology and comprehension is amazingly much better. but that won't happen because of the cost. :)

Of course my daughter just got a middle ear HA implant. She's part of a study group. So far the people who've gotten these implants are very happy with the clarity they get compared to their HA's. The study participants had to have anywhere from a mild to severe hearing loss. And if the FDA doesn't approve the device they have a device in their head that will need a new battery in about 5 yrs that they won't be able to replace so will have to find another option. Those are the risks being in a study. But this is the new technology being developed, I'm sure it'll be just as if not more controversial then CI's when approved for the general population. :)

I'm looking forward to future news regarding your daughter and her middle ear implant. This is all new to me and I want to further educate myself. Thanks!

If I based everything on my CI experience I'd say implant even kids who get some benefit from HA's cause the CI is a much better technology and comprehension is amazingly much better
Well they already ARE doing that. That is one reason I'm not totally gung-ho for the CI....Like I'm 100% for implantation for kids who get very very little benifit from aids, such as those with auditory nereopathy, or who can't even hear enviormental sounds....but in cases where kids get benifit from hearing aids, in some cases it seems like they're upgrading just b/c it's the latest TrEnDiEsT thing to have!!!! I just think that implanting ambigious cases, should wait til the kid is a little older, and can express their desire to upgrade or whatever.

deafdyke said:
..but in cases where kids get benifit from hearing aids, in some cases it seems like they're upgrading just b/c it's the latest TrEnDiEsT thing to have!!!! I just think that implanting ambigious cases, should wait til the kid is a little older, and can express their desire to upgrade or whatever.

But the advantage for those kids is not that it's the latest trendiess thing to have, but like me they probably aren't getting the actual benefit from the HA's that they should. I think HA's stink, I really didn't like them because I didn't get the benefit from them that someone with my hearing loss usually does. I really don't get why you think that people are implanting their kids who get some limited benefit from HA's do so because it's 'trendy', I'd say they're giving their kids a much better chance of understanding.

So how do you feel about implantable HA's. The one my daughter is in the trial for is completely under the skin, is for mild to severe hearing losses. those already turned on like the clarity of the sound, even if their decible level is not as high as it was. (programming continues with them I guess) but that is going to be the next developement. I believe that she's in the 2nd phase, but I can imagine the objections to the implantable device now. :) I think it'd be kinda neat, no HA's for the kids to lose. :)

I really don't get why you think that people are implanting their kids who get some limited benefit from HA's do so because it's 'trendy'
Well if you'd seen the stuff that I have, I think you'd think the same thing. Yes, some of those parents are upgrading b/c their kids aren't benifiting, but a lot more are: "OMG! We have to upgrade!"
Oh, and I'm against the middle ear implants......they might get FDA approval, but I have a feeling that most insurances won't cover them.

One thing I forgot to mention in my earlier threads. Both the Surgeon and research dr. also agreed about one other thing. All of the stem cell, hair regeneration possibilities are a very real possibility. But unfortunately, we will probably not see them in our life time. My daughter is 2 1/2 years old, and they both also agreed that she will be lucky to see it. They are doing some very neat research at C.I.D. here in st.louis. They found that some domestic birds in the US have the identical cochlea that humans do, Thye have also discovered that these birdes have the capability of regenerating the hairs in thier cochlea. Whenenver they hear a noise that is so loud that they loose hearing, the can repair the hearing loss by regrowing the damaged hairs. This is one of the things they are looking at, at a genetic level. If they can figure out how to use the dna of these birds to apply it to humans, it could cure sensioneural hearing loss, in people that were born deaf and those that lost thier hearing after birth.
As I said, neat stuff! Unfortunately we will never see it in our lives.

Lillys dad said:
............. Both the Surgeon and research dr. also agreed about one other thing. All of the stem cell, hair regeneration possibilities are a very real possibility. But unfortunately, we will probably not see them in our life time. My daughter is 2 1/2 years old, and they both also agreed that she will be lucky to see it. .......... Unfortunately we will never see it in our lives.
Even if it would be in our childrens lifetime, it would allow them to hear, but not to speak. It is the same with the problems people (-that never have heared) have when they are older and then can hear. The brain has not developed itself to handle it.

When making the decision for our daughter - 1 at the time - these new technologies were considered but rejected since the time for her to hear was "as soon as possible" due to the development of the brain in the first 6 years of life. Not in 10-15 years.

I'm sorry, I misspoke. That is what I meant when referring to Lilly. She will be too old to benifit from this technology. Her window for speech will have looong been closed. So maybe our grandchildren will be able to benifit from it if necessary?

Lillys dad said:
I'm sorry, I misspoke. That is what I meant when referring to Lilly. She will be too old to benifit from this technology. Her window for speech will have looong been closed. So maybe our grandchildren will be able to benifit from it if necessary?

Yes, I don't see what's wrong with that. I no longer see it as playing God :) Just as long as it's after a child is physically born out of its mother's womb :dunno:

Frag, off topic here, but I just got back from meeting with your mom Greema! I had a great time! So did Lilly!

Same here -- off topic, but meeting up with Lilly and Lillysdad went great! When you all are in town y'all gotta meet up! I had fun with them! I know you and Lillysdad will get along like gangbusters!

Back