The Day We Drove A Teacher Out of Her Job

Sweetmind

Reaction score
http://www.deafeducation.org/stories/teacher.html

This is a true story. When I was about 10 years old and the youngest in a class of around 10 Deaf pupils at a School for the Deaf. It was one who followed Milan 1880 approach, being strong oralist school.

Sign Language was not allowed at all times, but we, as true Deafies, continued to use BSL during playtime and after school hours.

Lessons for many of us often a real boredom. Why? Because we always get so tired trying to lipread during lessons AND the hard work as teachers tried their hardest to groom us Deafies to use our speech and to lipread to meet the society's expectations - all that according to Milan 1880.

I remembered very vividly of one particular teacher who was absolutely rubbish to be a teacher of the Deaf. She, unfortunately, has terrible buck teeth like a bunny rabbit and she talks so fast which made it totally impossible for us all in that class trying to follow lessons.

Can you picture this, day in, day out for 12 months for us Deafies trying to follow lessons, hardly understood her. So bored we become, when a group of 2 or 3 Deafies started to fool about during lessons. This is when this teacher started to try to punish them but amazingly she was overpowered by 2 or 3 Deaf pupils who were strong and tough characters.

The more this teacher was losing her rag, the more the Deaf pupils were able to tease and torment her mercifully. Before long, the rest of the class, including myself as the baby of the class, joined them.

Together, we have been so strong over her so much that she could not cope any more to able to handle us and decided to give up her job teaching us before the term end.

In many ways, it was us, Deaf pupils who drove her out of job. As I looked back, I am sure we all felt terrible about this.

Then I thought, why did we drove her out of her job? Now I understand why. Because she was so difficult to lipread and having oralist method in school lessons, it was not enjoyable and not surprisingly, boredom started to set in. From that boredom, we started to enjoy better in our special world of sign language users by tormenting her.

Now I am in this position - were we wrong to force her out of job? No, I don't think so as it was the oralist approach that was wrong not us as BSL users pupils.

If they taught us in BSL, we would not become bored. We would be able to follow lessons better and enjoy.

As for meeting society's expectations, for us to have better speech of course failed miserably - I have another story to tell. See Another True Story

Brenda Hamlin [/quote]

The truth is here .. Whoo Hoo!

Thank you! ;)

Sweetmind said:
In many ways, it was us, Deaf pupils who drove her out of job. As I looked back, I am sure we all felt terrible about this.

Then I thought, why did we drove her out of her job? Now I understand why. Because she was so difficult to lipread and having oralist method in school lessons, it was not enjoyable and not surprisingly, boredom started to set in. From that boredom, we started to enjoy better in our special world of sign language users by tormenting her.

Now I am in this position - were we wrong to force her out of job? No, I don't think so as it was the oralist approach that was wrong not us as BSL users pupils.

If they taught us in BSL, we would not become bored. We would be able to follow lessons better and enjoy.

As for meeting society's expectations, for us to have better speech of course failed miserably - I have another story to tell. See Another True Story

Brenda Hamlin

The truth is here .. Whoo Hoo!

Thank you! ;)[/QUOTE]

You know, I went to a regular school as a person who was using HA's. Grew up hearing fairly well, got bored at times in school, espeically before getting HA's.

The nastiness this person is talking about also happened in regular classes. It's more about smart a-- kids who know it all and think they are perfect, have all the answers etc etc etc and decide to torment (the words were in the article?) someone whom they percieve as inferior to themselves. I actually see this as more the nasty teen thing rather then crappy teacher. btdt in a normal school enviroment and yeah we thought we knew it all. :)

Perhaps if I hadn't seen the same thing at my 'normal' school I'd actually give this story more credit, but I've seen it out here so really see it as an angry know it all teenage thing. sorry.

Have a nice day. :)

Sweetmind said:

. . .

Together, we have been so strong over her so much that she could not cope any more to able to handle us and decided to give up her job teaching us before the term end.

Then I thought, why did we drove her out of her job? Now I am in this position - were we wrong to force her out of job?

I cut the nonessentials to say this: No, none of you students "drove" her out of a job, she did it to herself. None of you should have to feel "terrible" about this. Hopefully, she learned her lesson that pretty much knocked her in the teeth: Communication is vital to every human being, whether it be oral (talking, speech) or sign language. Would this witch like it if your class crazy glued her mouth shut and she couldn't talk? Not a bad idea to do, but don't tell everyone that I recommended it. :scatter:

That's the type of teacher that needs to be driven out of her job. She has no business teaching ANY students--Deaf or hearing! Ignorant intolerant woman!

Back