The Culture of The Deaf and Hard of Hearing

AnnKeenan

Reaction score
Good Morning/Afternoon,

I am currently doing writing a paper of the deaf and hard of hearing community and would love to gain some insight into the culture. Questions I have include:

1. What is some of the rude or disruptive behaviors hearing individuals implement when interacting with deaf or hard of hearing individuals?

2. What is your (personal) favorite part of the deaf or hard of hearing culture?

3. How would you describe deaf or hard of hearing culture?

4. What is one thing you wish hearing individuals knew about deaf and hard of hearing community?

5. Would you say that deaf or hard of hearing individuals are more aware of nonverbal cues?

6. If you feel comfortable sharing, what is your age?

7. If you feel comfortable sharing, what is your gender?

Any other additional information you would like to add is very welcome.

Thank you in advance for anyone that takes the time to answer these!

You may get more rounded ideas if read about third world counties.For many deaf life can be intorable then make comparisons .They give you other answers. Go to bbc deaf media some good blogs

You may get more rounded ideas if read about third world counties.For many deaf life can be intorable then make comparisons .They give you other answers. Go to bbc deaf media some good blogs

My audi travel to another country every year , I think it's India and help fit people with hearing aids.

I will answer those only if you will answer my questions:

What do you think is your bias regarding your Disability/Language Privilege as a social majority? How does that influence your perspective when it comes to other social minorities such as Deaf people who identify with Deaf Culture? How about seeing your hearing peers' discrimination in action (microinvalidation, microinsult, etc) against those in the social minority? This could help you understand some of your questions.

Here is an example of a Privilege being examined in action: Grey's Anatomy episode mentions White Privilege when one (white) doctor gets so worried about another doctor thinking she is a racist for believing someone else (white doctor) over that doctor (black doctor) about something. In the end, the anxious doctor's relative told her to check her White Privilege (because all the answers come from self-reflection, right?!).

Furthermore, why not consider using peer reviewed scholarly journal articles or even a book Deaf authors have written to get your answers? How do you know some of these AD members are really deaf and not hearing who pretend to be deaf, anyway? ;)

First question we should ask. When is your assignment due? Because we know the person most likely will never return or check their thread after that. You all are waiting your energy replying after the "due date"

:laugh2: Oh no..

Honestly, that's the responsibility of the student seeking answers to be discerning about. ASL teachers should raise their standards a bit about the quality of the sources that provide their students appropriate knowledge. You just don't know who is at the end of that computer answering your questions for a $2,000 class you are taking.

How do you know some of these AD members are really deaf and not hearing who pretend to be deaf, anyway? ;)

Seeing that you're that new to this forum, this wasn't really a very kind thing to write. Most of us here are pretty straightforward and open about our backgrounds. Occasionally there is a bad apple in the barrel, but you shouldn't assume that even "some" are pretending to be deaf.

Seeing that you're that new to this forum, this wasn't really a very kind thing to write. Most of us here are pretty straightforward and open about our backgrounds. Occasionally there is a bad apple in the barrel, but you shouldn't assume that even "some" are pretending to be deaf.

While 0 is new, I have to admit that I rather liked the answer provided. I did not take it that there was an assumption being made about any ADer...
But then again that is just my opinion :)

While 0 is new, I have to admit that I rather liked the answer provided. I did not take it that there was an assumption being made about any ADer...
But then again that is just my opinion :)

I don't think, either, that he was making an assumption about a specific AD'er. However, I don't think it needed to be assumed that there are fakes here for the most part. *smh* Even, for example, Reba is hearing, but she's never pretended to be deaf. She's a retired interpreter.

I don't think, either, that he was making an assumption about a specific AD'er. However, I don't think it needed to be assumed that there are fakes here for the most part. *smh* Even, for example, Reba is hearing, but she's never pretended to be deaf. She's a retired interpreter.

True... Hmm... It is interesting how different people can read things differently. (no sarcasm meant or anything) if one takes that line alone, I would agree that it would come off as an assumption. Rather when added to the whole statement, to me, is just summed up as go do your own homework the proper way... As a student it is important to have reliable sources in homework. While, I do not believe anyone who stays around here pretends, it would be naive of a student just to take the word of someone on the other side of the screen...

I don't know of any ADer who pretends to be deaf but we have had ADers in the past who were not what they claimed to be (including dead--not deaf but dead).

Truth is, someone, especially a new someone, might not be able to discern the real from fake answers. It's like using Wikipedia as a source for a research paper. (Another no-no.)

Interviewing real live people is best. That's the way we did it when I was taking my classes.

Sorry to offend ya---but that wasn't part of the context I was communicating through my last couple posts.

I don't know of any ADer who pretends to be deaf but we have had ADers in the past who were not what they claimed to be (including dead--not deaf but dead).

Truth is, someone, especially a new someone, might not be able to discern the real from fake answers. It's like using Wikipedia as a source for a research paper. (Another no-no.)

Interviewing real live people is best. That's the way we did it when I was taking my classes.

Yeah, you hit the nail on the head!

I saw that being the point of the message Bottesini was trying to communicate through her thread for ASL students. I thought it was great. Why not just procure interviews through Deaf clubs, ASL clubs, the ASL teacher's network/list of volunteers, Gallaudet, etc? Of course there are ethical standards in one's conduct I would presume is required to be observed by the students so they are respectful and keep personal information confidential. And make their schools and ASL teachers look good?

Plus, if I do answer the student surveys via a public post, how the heck are they to know I am actually deaf? I apply that to myself. I would expect they'd want to know if I am a credible source, too. My account is newish here although it's my second account here after a very long hiatus and having lost the old email address associated with that first account, so that takes a lot of credibility away from me. I understand that completely!

Back