The confusion between Deaf and HOH from an Oral Deaf person

Wirelessly posted

jillio said:
I had to have an Audi/ENT to tell me and make a written notation of that fact for the courthouse when I was called for jury duty. They don't take your word for it if you have no visible amplification (HA's or CI's).

I recently got called again and let them know what my needs would be. They again asked for proof. Went to the Deaf Service Center again, got the proof and then the courthouse said again, we are not equipped for what you will need, you are excused and we will take your name off the rolls.

Exactly. When requesting accommodation in many areas, it is useful to have an audi's statement verifying your disability. That is why so many places say that you may receive accommodation if you have a documented disability.

Try filing for SSI without documentation.:laugh2:

wait a second....jillio, are you saying that deafness is a disability in this post???

In the eyes of the law, it is considered it a disability. Whether we, as d/Deaf persons, consider it a disability is another story altogether.

wait a second....jillio, are you saying that deafness is a disability in this post???

shoo shoo. be gone, gnat. take it to PM land if you're still butt-hurt about you-know-what.

I almost felt (because I didn't hear) that "pounce!" at 1:12 pm.

I've had hearing people ask me what do I mean by "hearing people"?

You're right that speaking well confuses the hearing in that they equate how well you speak with how well you hear.

so, to help the hearing understand my hearing levels better, I tell them I can hear vowels but not consonants which is why I need to read their lips. then they understand right away.

I think it makes it easier for people to understand when it's put in concrete or more tangible terms. The way you describe it seems to be in a way that people can understand and try to relate to.

ah you're 1 hour behind from my time zone :wave:

does this mean you're from future? :hmm:

Hmm .. Does the 1:12 that I'm referring to say 2:12 on your end?

And actually, that means I'm from your past ;)

Hmm .. Does the 1:12 that I'm referring to say 2:12 on your end?

And actually, that means I'm from your past ;)
oh yea.. I guess it's either you're my past or I'm your future :dizzy:

when you typed this post - it says 2:25pm from my end.
I almost felt (because I didn't hear) that "pounce!" at 1:12 pm.

Wirelessly posted

Where exactly did I say anything of the kind? Seriously, your English comprehension is horrible. Is that why you didn't manage to go back to school to become a TOD as you told us all you were going to awhile back?

In the eyes of the law, it is considered it a disability. Whether we, as d/Deaf persons, consider it a disability is another story altogether.

Exactly. Society creates the obstacles that make it a disability, and therefore, society is responsible for accommodating that which makes it a disability.

Exactly. Society creates the obstacles that make it a disability, and therefore, society is responsible for accommodating that which makes it a disability.

Maybe one should make a computer game called "The obstacles course" and make you walk in the shoes of a disabled person after you pick the disability.

Maybe one should make a computer game called "The obstacles course" and make you walk in the shoes of a disabled person after you pick the disability.

You know, that is really a great idea! Would be a great learning tool. Where are our IT experts?

jillo, that's basicly the tenet of the Disabilty Rights movement.
Meaning a lot of physical and sensory (hearing and sight) conditions are not disabling in, and of themselves. We can adapt to the disabilty and live rich full lives without hearing, or sight or being able to walk, or whatever.
It does change when you move into more severe(eg quadipelgia, or persistant vegetative state) and mental handicap territory thou.

You know, that is really a great idea! Would be a great learning tool. Where are our IT experts?

Just take any game that does not have written instructions in the game (the Wii has a few like this). Turn off the volume and have the hearing players try to figure out the rules and play the game. I borrow Wii games from the library often and hit on a few that have voice instructions and or voice prompts as you progress through the game.

I like that idea, too. I'm reminded of childhood/gym sports-related games where the teachers thought if I just tell you, then you can play. Well, so much for that. So although I may have physically heard them tell me, I STILL ended up trying to figure out the game by - in this case- watching.

jillo, that's basicly the tenet of the Disabilty Rights movement.

Meaning a lot of physical and sensory (hearing and sight) conditions are not disabling in, and of themselves. We can adapt to the disabilty and live rich full lives without hearing, or sight or being able to walk, or whatever.

It does change when you move into more severe(eg quadipelgia, or persistant vegetative state) and mental handicap territory thou.

That would be correct that they're not disabling (at least we don't think so.) However, society doesn't think so. The law doesn't think so. We've seen that time and time again.

Just take any game that does not have written instructions in the game (the Wii has a few like this). Turn off the volume and have the hearing players try to figure out the rules and play the game. I borrow Wii games from the library often and hit on a few that have voice instructions and or voice prompts as you progress through the game.

See there...I knew someone would be able to simplify this. I am not a gamer, so I know very little about it.:giggle:

That would be correct that they're not disabling (at least we don't think so.) However, society doesn't think so. The law doesn't think so. We've seen that time and time again.

Right. Because they are still coming at it from a hearing perspective.

Back