the boy in "knowing" (only read this if you've seen the movie...there are spoilers!)

sima1289

Reaction score
i saw that there was a post about the movie "knowing", but not everyone's seen the movie, so...

first, the way the phrase "together, forever" in the movie: is that how it's really signed? because the sign they used for "forever" is the sign for "continue"...the sign for "forever" is quite different...but for all i know, since i'm not fluent in asl, that's how the phrase is signed...i don't know.

second, wouldn't it have made more sense if the boy actually had some sort of a hearing loss? then, there would be more suspense and whatnot when the whispering people started talking to him through his hearing aid. it didn't really make sense to me that the boy could hear.

just my 2 cents.

I was thinking the same thing. My guess is they used the "continue" sign instead of "forever" because it looks better on the camera since both signs are done in the same area and they flow better. The forever sign would look more awkward. I'm thinking the filmmakers decided to fudge it a bit knowing most people wouldn't know the difference anyway and the meaning is close enough.

As for the hearing aids, the way I understood it, the whisper people sometimes talk to the boy in his head and that makes it difficult for him to understand regular people talking. The hearing aids amplify regular people's voices but not the whisper people's voices (since they bypass his ears and talk directly to his head) and that made it easier for him to understand regular people.

ASL differs entirely based on a persons location.

I.E.
People in Kentucky are going to sign slightly different then someone from Utah.
That's really the gist of it.
or maybe they did make a signing error. I dunno

Back