the Audist Network

When I went to deaf coffee chat for the first or second time, someone asked me if I had a CI. I said yes, and the information spread throughout the group like wildfire. I was chatting with the questioner (moved on to another topic) when some random person got my attention and said "You have the CI? Do you like it?" I said Yes. Then he signed "I am NEVER getting a CI." Then he signed "naked" all throughout his head/body, then signed "beautiful, normal, me". I was just like "Um.. okay. Cool..." and went back to chatting with the original person. I knew the sign for "beautiful" but not "normal" till later.

I know I barely talked about my CI that night unless someone asked me a specific question, because I know I was scared of saying anything about my CI in the deaf community when I first started going to deaf coffee chats.

Anyway, it could be a case of reverse-audism/deafism or whatever you wanna call it, but honestly, I just thought it was just kind of immature and somewhat awkward (due to the way the conversation went). Do we have a need to label everything? ;)

To be honest, CI users are still in the minority, and in many places, they are a novelty. I think that has much to do things like questions.

When I went to deaf coffee chat for the first or second time, someone asked me if I had a CI. I said yes, and the information spread throughout the group like wildfire. I was chatting with the questioner (moved on to another topic) when some random person got my attention and said "You have the CI? Do you like it?" I said Yes. Then he signed "I am NEVER getting a CI." Then he signed "naked" all throughout his head/body, then signed "beautiful, normal, me". I was just like "Um.. okay. Cool..." and went back to chatting with the original person. I knew the sign for "beautiful" but not "normal" till later.

I know I barely talked about my CI that night unless someone asked me a specific question, because I know I was scared of saying anything about m
Anyway, it could be a case of reverse-audism/deafism or whatever you wanna call it, but honestly, I just thought it was just kind of immature and somewhat awkward (due to the way the conversation went). Do we have a need to label everything? ;)

that is the kind of stuff I saw happening at NSAD. It was interesting.
NSAD was different too because ability to play figured in as well. I am pretty decent so I got "insider access". And the girl I hung out with there was an awesome player and a CI wearer and she was accepted as well. But people who were LD or had a CI and were below average players pretty much were shunned. It was really sad.

Alot of people were upset because the player intros and awards were only done in ASL. Considering there are sponsors there and media not to mention hearing fans it seemed pretty petty. The deaf attitudes from last year are the main reason I didn't play this year even though the tournament was held 15 miles from one of my homes. And I was treated better than most.

Back