The 91-Year-Old Woman Selling Suicide Kits

My dad tried to commit suicide , he when in his car that was parked in the garage and closed the garage doors ! My mother did not do anything and I when outside and open the doors and broke some windows before going in the garage to talk my dad out killing himself! He came out with me ! My mom was too afraid to do anything, I am glad I was home at at the time! I was only about 18 or 19 years old at the time. I remember this like it happen yesterday!
I'm glad that you had the presence of mind to take action.

I'm glad that you had the presence of mind to take action.

agree, i feel strongly about this but i think if he felt alone/sad his son saving his life would change a lot on his outlook of life. Saying this is in most un-offensive way as possible though, all do respect-your mother is messed if she was going to watch him and let him die.

agree, i feel strongly about this but i think if he felt alone/sad his son saving his life would change a lot on his outlook of life. Saying this is in most un-offensive way as possible though, all do respect-your mother is messed if she was going to watch him and let him die.
Maybe his mother was so shocked she just froze in fear. During traumatic events, some people freeze up, some get hysterical, and some act. It's not always an indication of their true feelings about the situation.

I am glad you were there and could do something to help your father. I'm sure that whole experience had a huge impact on you.

My mother threaten to take some pills and locked herself in the bathroom! I had to talk her out of it and tell that my younger sister needed her as she was having a break upstairs! My older sister had a breakdown and was in a hospital! When my mom finally came out of the bathroom she could not see!
She was blind with rage! She was freaking out that she when blind and I had tell my mom she was OK and got her to calm down and her eyes sight came back. This and what happen with my dad had huge impact on me. I read about people going blind with rage but I never thought I would see it happen to my mother! It was really horrible but I had to be strong for her and my sister.

Maybe his mother was so shocked she just froze in fear. During traumatic events, some people freeze up, some get hysterical, and some act. It's not always an indication of their true feelings about the situation.

You're so right Reba! I jump right in when something happen and I am a her!
This is not the first time people thought I was a guy. My mother did froze in fear. Dad once threaten to hit my mother and I stood in front of my mother and told dad that he had to hit me before he got to my mother! Dad walked away!

You're so right Reba! I jump right in when something happen and I am a her!
This is not the first time people thought I was a guy. My mother did froze in fear. Dad once threaten to hit my mother and I stood in front of my mother and told dad that he had to hit me before he got to my mother! Dad walked away!
:Oops: I don't know why I typed "his" because I know better. Very careless of me. Sorry about that.

My mother threaten to take some pills and locked herself in the bathroom! I had to talk her out of it and tell that my younger sister needed her as she was having a break upstairs! My older sister had a breakdown and was in a hospital! When my mom finally came out of the bathroom she could not see!
She was blind with rage! She was freaking out that she when blind and I had tell my mom she was OK and got her to calm down and her eyes sight came back. This and what happen with my dad had huge impact on me. I read about people going blind with rage but I never thought I would see it happen to my mother! It was really horrible but I had to be strong for her and my sister.

The mind can create all sorts of physical symptoms.

Your family is lucky to have you.

Yes, I agree the mind can create all sorts of physical symptoms. I saw this happen with both of my sisters when they had a breakdown. It was very painful to see the mental pain they where in. They both are fine now .

Yes, I agree the mind can create all sorts of physical symptoms. I saw this happen with both of my sisters when they had a breakdown. It was very painful to see the mental pain they where in. They both are fine now .

I am glad to hear they are fine now. We can overcome all sorts of problems with the right help and support.

I was contacted today by the mother of my friend DJ, who was bi-polar. She thanked me for being such a good friend to him. I had not spoken to her since 1992. It seems she kept up with the news of my marriage and then kept checking the phone book. She called my MIL's phone and I called her back on my CapTel. She did come to realize that she messed up and felt that she could not forgive herself until after talking with me. I reminded her of how loving and caring her son was and reminded her of the good times we had. She had forgotten and could only remember his suffering and getting into trouble. She said she felt at peace after talking to me and felt that DJ, if he were here now, would forgive her. She lost her husband 2 years ago and her 2 other sons were killed. One in gang violence and the other due to heart defects. She has survived 4 children and 2 husbands. She said she was going home to Puerto Rico to have family to help care for her now.

We lived on the third floor of a five story tenement. The police and ambulance crews came piling in once again, past our door, charging upstairs, while people tried to count "How many times was this now, the seventh time, the ninth time?"

Once again she had called just before she made her irregularly scheduled suicide attempt. Once again she had called for help leaving just enough time for the rescue squad to save her.

My mother commented that attempting suicide should be a crime punishable by death -- Then only those who really wanted to die would do it.

Did the woman ever get any help?

No, she did not. My mother would not have tried to get it for her because at that time they still used electric shock "therapy" and lobotomies, which my mother considered two of the most barbarous things the white man ever came up with.

Her solution, for us, was to move. Her explanation was, "If you raise a child in Hell you shouldn't be surprised if he turns out to be a little hellion." Her first and last concern was for me, not an emotionally / mentally disturbed woman who played Russian roulette with her life.

I remember my mother told me about a patient that she had years ago while she was working as a nurse. She said that the woman had such a severe nervous breakdown that she was unable to walk for a few days. She remembers being quite angry with the woman because others in the same situation would get false hope and think they could walk again.

I am glad to hear they are fine now. We can overcome all sorts of problems with the right help and support.

yes, this is exactly right..there is a huge difference of when someone needs u, and when someone wants to be left alone...unless they are female, they will talk to u about it if and when they want too. if they are female just keep asking whats wrong after they say nothing, after a half an hour of asking then u can conclude they genuinely dont want to tell you.

kits or no kits suicidal will happen
over the counter pills are enough
mental health treatment should always be a choice getting locked in padded cell doesnt always need to be a choice
slow methods if death is the desired are a choice

mental health treatment should always be a choice getting locked in padded cell doesnt always need to be a choice

well it sounds like your explaining someone who is mentally unstable, in that case i agree, however i have no idea how you fail at killing yourself...100% ways
Carbon monoxide and sleep in your car
drive into anything going over 100 mph
ammonia/bleach
any fatal poison (rid-ex,arsenic,cyanide)
high building

If you REALLY want to kill yourself, you can do it. If you fail that many times, then you are probably crying out for attention or help. Helium is 1/10000 as deadly as so many more things. I am glad to hear that she is "recovered", i dont wish death on anyone. I just dislike when people assume that because 1 person lives life and thinks its perfect does not mean another person is mentally handicapped or worse weak...

same thing, different words :)

well it sounds like your explaining someone who is mentally unstable, in that case i agree, however i have no idea how you fail at killing yourself...100% ways
Carbon monoxide and sleep in your car
drive into anything going over 100 mph
ammonia/bleach
any fatal poison (rid-ex,arsenic,cyanide)
high building

If you REALLY want to kill yourself, you can do it. If you fail that many times, then you are probably crying out for attention or help. Helium is 1/10000 as deadly as so many more things. I am glad to hear that she is "recovered", i dont wish death on anyone. I just dislike when people assume that because 1 person lives life and thinks its perfect does not mean another person is mentally handicapped or worse weak...

same thing, different words :)

have u had experience's with mental health team(on the subject of suicide or that you would die by trying achieving your goals in your chosen method)?

That's pretty sickening, people that sells those kits should be arrested and put in prison.

Most of the people dead don't have any kind of terminal illness (doesn't mean suicide is an answer for the terminally ill either), yet alot of them is due to depression which can be dealt with if they just talked to people or get medical help. They would have led an eventual long & (hopefully) happy life.

Suicide is never an answer, it brings even more pain to those that loves them. Suicide is the most selfish act there is. It shows absolutely no regard to those around them. Suicide has a domino effect, it brings about sadness and depression to others effected by it and chances are, they too may try to kill themselves.

Yiz

Back