The 10 Most Drivable Cities!

daprilz

Reaction score
America's Most Drivable Cities 2003

Most of the time, driving is a pleasurable and relaxing experience. But motorists sometimes find themselves at the mercy of rough roads, traffic jams, and high gas prices. The new "Most Drivable Cities" study ranks 77 U.S. cities based on how easy it is for residents to drive around their city.

America's "Most Drivable Cities" have smooth driving surfaces, free-flowing traffic, low gas prices, and a pleasant climate. So, fasten your seat belt and check out the best and worst cities in which to get around:

The 10 Most Drivable Cities

1. Corpus Christi, TX
2. Brownsville-Harlingen-San Benito, TX
3. Beaumont-Port Arthur, TX
These south Texas cities share several characteristics that make them great for motorists. All three cities have very low gas prices and a good driving climate with little snow and hail, and few days below freezing. Drivers in Corpus Christi spend only 6 hours per year stuck in traffic, compared with the national average of 62 hours per year. Corpus Christi also has the lowest travel time index (an indication of free-flowing traffic) of any city in the study. In Brownsville drivers spend only 5 hours annually in congested traffic, and only 5% of the freeways are congested during peak periods. Like Corpus Christi and the Brownsville area, Beaumont-Port Arthur has little congestion. It can get hot in these cities though, and they have slightly more wind and ultraviolet radiation than average. Also, Texas' urban roads are rougher than average.

4. Pensacola, FL
5. Fort Myers-Cape Coral, FL
These two Florida cities score well in every category. The roads are smooth and uncongested, the weather is clear, and the gas prices are low. Both Pensacola and the Fort Myers-Cape Coral area have a low travel time index and little annual delay per peak road traveler.

6. Oklahoma City, OK
Oklahoma City scores well in the mobility category thanks to a low travel time index and little annual delay per peak road traveler. The climate for driving is a bit better than average and gas prices are very low, but Oklahoma's drivers have to put up with bad roads.

7. Birmingham, AL
Birmingham's scores are above average in every drivability category. It has very low gas prices and a good travel time index. The climate is good$#151;little snow, hail, and wind$#151;and the roads are smoother than the national average.

8. El Paso, TX
El Paso has very low gas prices but the roads are rough. Mobility is good too$#151;the travel time index is low and there is little annual delay per peak road traveler.

9. Memphis, TN
Memphis scores well in all the categories$#151;low gas prices, good mobility, mild climate, and smooth roads.

10. Tulsa, OK
Tulsa has very low gas prices, good mobility, and a driving climate that is better than average. Oklahoma's rough urban roads kept Tulsa from ranking higher.

The 10 Least Drivable Cities

1. Los Angeles-Long Beach, CA
2. San Francisco, CA
Los Angeles was very clearly the least drivable city studied. L.A. has the nation's worst mobility$#151;the highest travel time index (1.9), the highest annual delay per peak road traveler (136 hours), and the highest roadway congestion index. San Francisco has the highest gas prices in the nation ($2.20/gallon). Although both cities have rough roads, they have great driving climates.

3. Chicago, IL
Although its gas prices were lower than average, Chicago scores poorly in every other drivability category. The Windy City has rough roads, a poor driving climate, and slightly worse than average mobility.

4. Denver, CO
Denver has a very poor driving climate and rough roads. Traffic congestion is slightly worse than average mobility, but at least Denverians pay less for the extra gas they use when stuck in traffic.

5. Boston, MA
Like many large cities, Beantown suffers from rough roads and slightly worse than average mobility. Low gas prices help offset a generally poor driving climate.

6. Oakland, CA
Oakland has very high gas prices, very rough roads, and a great deal of traffic congestion. Like nearby San Francisco, Oakland's only positive is its great climate.

7. Detroit, MI
The Motor City has very rough roads and a driving climate that is worse than average. Drivers who can put up with those deficits are rewarded with average congestion and low gas prices.

8. New York, NY
Motorists in the Big Apple contend with rough roads and slightly worse than average congestion. The plusses: New York has average gas prices and an average driving climate.

9. Seattle-Bellevue-Everett, WA
The Emerald City has worse than average mobility and slightly rougher than average roads. On the other hand, it has a better than average driving climate and average gas prices.

10. Washington, D.C
Traffic congestion and rough roads make D.C. a difficult place to get around. On the positive side, the nation's capital has a better than average driving climate and lower than average gas prices.

Other Notes:

Overall, cities in the Northeast rank poorly, with Philadelphia at #44, followed by Hartford at #53 and New York at #70. Meanwhile, Southern cities enjoy high rankings due to low gas prices, little traffic, short travel times, and fair climate. The most drivable large city is Atlanta, which ranks 20th overall.
San Francisco, Oakland and San Jose have the highest gas prices in the nation.
You'll be exceeding the daily average of 2 1/2 hours spent in the car by a typical American if you live in Washington, D.C., Miami or Seattle, when it comes to traffic congestion and average travel time.
Detroit, Fresno, and Sacramento have the roughest roads.
Keep the AC on when driving in San Bernardino, Austin and San Diego, which take the top spots for warm weather climates.
Bringing up the chilly rear is Anchorage, Rochester and Buffalo, where your car's heater will be on for much of the year.

:rofl: im NOT at all surprised abt DC being in the worst driving rating LOL -- that is about right on the average length of time spent in the car during peak rush hour and its WORSE during the school year -- not too bad during summers but HIGHER traffic accidents due to out of towners unfamiliar with where theyre going, higher rates of aggressive drivers and weather related issues (this being year-round regardless of which season)

I truly agree with the oakland and San Fransiciso's worst traffic condition, fog is the worse part u have to deal with at night ( remmy fly free???) damn we nearly had an accident not seeing the KY bar up ahead due to the dense fog whlist SF/Oakland split on 880 to 580 is the worse due to traffic plus people cutting off due to unfimilar areas ( mostly tourist) which possess the worse accident around! the split was formerly known as the nimtz freeway before its collaspe in the great quake of 89 but now no one DARES to call it the nimtz freeway due to the reminder of the great quake hence its called the 580/880 split freeways so p oeple will be aware of that.

ohh yep yep i do indeed remmy that Javapride :o it sure was HARD to see ahead of myself in the dense fog shit -- but had to learn FAST :lol: fog here isnt too bad like it is out in SF sheesh but hell i LOVED SF :thumb:

I'm not surprised about Los Angeles! I hated it there. Traffic, traffic, traffic nonstop everywhere. San Diego was much better.

New York City - I don't think that New York City is made for driving at all. The city has one of the best subway system and it is so easy to get to anywhere. So, I would rather use the subway all day long and avoid traffic.

Philadelphia is not that bad. I usually drive to a Park-n-Ride and take a train into the city. Then I can walk everywhere in that city because it is a very compact city. Rush hours are terrible in Philly, but at other times, it's pretty easy to move through.

Same here.. MN isnt really great place for driving..
Twin Cities have horrible roads-too many detours even they didnt finish for ages..
Out of Twin Cities.. too much traffic and too much road rages.
Alot of people gone south or north for cabin/resorts, heavy traffic with few gas stations stop.. if you are stuck in middle between 20-50 miles gas stations.. plus those people who are driving- wont stop for you.. :roll:

Originally posted by illustrator
New York is rank no. 1 worst aggressive drivers.

They never make good excuse. :)
Not only the driver... it's the people walking on sidewalk even though they cut the driver off... If I drive in New York City... anyone better get out of my way cuz I ain't touching the brake except for traffic and lights... People better get out of my way or they'll be sorrier! lol

Originally posted by pimpdaddyposse
Not only the driver... it's the people walking on sidewalk even though they cut the driver off... If I drive in New York City... anyone better get out of my way cuz I ain't touching the brake except for traffic and lights... People better get out of my way or they'll be sorrier! lol

Don't give me the excuse about this! :mrgreen:

Originally posted by javapride
I truly agree with the oakland and San Fransiciso's worst traffic condition, fog is the worse part u have to deal with at night ( remmy fly free???) damn we nearly had an accident not seeing the KY bar up ahead due to the dense fog whlist SF/Oakland split on 880 to 580 is the worse due to traffic plus people cutting off due to unfimilar areas ( mostly tourist) which possess the worse accident around! the split was formerly known as the nimtz freeway before its collaspe in the great quake of 89 but now no one DARES to call it the nimtz freeway due to the reminder of the great quake hence its called the 580/880 split freeways so p oeple will be aware of that.

Oh gosh...the Nimitz freeway -- I will never forget that year when the '89 quake happened in SF. I was supposed to have been driving around that area when the quake struck...on to Fremont to visit with my sister as her birthday was the following day. But my father had asked me to wait until 5pm when he got off from work and we'd go off together in one car instead of 2.
If I didn't, I might have been trapped on the Embarcedro section of the Nimitz freeway (the one that collapsed)..*shuddering at the thought* Am grateful that Dad wanted me to wait until he got home from work rather than going ahead of my parents to catch up with my sister and friends.

I agree with you, Java about the terrible traffic conditions around the Bay Area -- it's horrible! It takes forever to get from Point A to Point B....augh!
Same goes for L.A.! How I hated driving on the freeways there during my 2 years of living there. :P Always tried to avoid the freeways and use the streets to get around.

Good, Texas is better and easy to drive.

I sure miss my hometown, it make me feel so easy. Ahhh... no headache...

new UPDATE

Americans may love driving their cars, but most folks don't like just sitting in them - especially when they're stuck in traffic. As minutes turn to hours and then add up to days, the time we are stuck crawling at a snail's pace, making progress only by the foot seems to have increased exponentially. When it comes to the Rat Race, we are running in it at ever-slower speeds with an increasing amount of company. According to data collected by the Texas Transportation Institute for its 2003 Urban Mobility study, here are the top ten worst cities for traffic congestion:

The 10 Most Congested Cities

1. Los Angeles, CA
2. San Francisco, CA
3. Denver, CO
4. Miami, FL
5. Phoenix, AZ
6. Chicago, IL
7. San Jose, CA
8. Washington, DC
9. Portland, OR
10. Boston, MA

http://www.insurance.com/entry_ns.asp

I see why No. 2 which there are many same-sex are rush for marriage. Just kidding.

Salt Lake City should be on the list of the least drivable cities in the nation. The city is full of stupid drivers who do not know how to merge.

L.A. is the worst period. :-x

If I have to drive in L.A. I would drive at night.

tekkmortal said:
L.A. is the worst period. :-x

If I have to drive in L.A. I would drive at night.

But LA is the only city that has high motion with camera and control traffic lights. :shock:

CoNfUsEd

America's Most Drivable Cities 2003

Most of the time, driving is a pleasurable and relaxing experience. But motorists sometimes find themselves at the mercy of rough roads, traffic jams, and high gas prices. The new "Most Drivable Cities" study ranks 77 U.S. cities based on how easy it is for residents to drive around their city.

America's "Most Drivable Cities" have smooth driving surfaces, free-flowing traffic, low gas prices, and a pleasant climate. So, fasten your seat belt and check out the best and worst cities in which to get around:

The 10 Most Drivable Cities

1. Corpus Christi, TX
2. Brownsville-Harlingen-San Benito, TX
3. Beaumont-Port Arthur, TX
These south Texas cities share several characteristics that make them great for motorists. All three cities have very low gas prices and a good driving climate with little snow and hail, and few days below freezing. Drivers in Corpus Christi spend only 6 hours per year stuck in traffic, compared with the national average of 62 hours per year. Corpus Christi also has the lowest travel time index (an indication of free-flowing traffic) of any city in the study. In Brownsville drivers spend only 5 hours annually in congested traffic, and only 5% of the freeways are congested during peak periods. Like Corpus Christi and the Brownsville area, Beaumont-Port Arthur has little congestion. It can get hot in these cities though, and they have slightly more wind and ultraviolet radiation than average. Also, Texas' urban roads are rougher than average.

4. Pensacola, FL
5. Fort Myers-Cape Coral, FL
These two Florida cities score well in every category. The roads are smooth and uncongested, the weather is clear, and the gas prices are low. Both Pensacola and the Fort Myers-Cape Coral area have a low travel time index and little annual delay per peak road traveler.

6. Oklahoma City, OK
Oklahoma City scores well in the mobility category thanks to a low travel time index and little annual delay per peak road traveler. The climate for driving is a bit better than average and gas prices are very low, but Oklahoma's drivers have to put up with bad roads.

7. Birmingham, AL
Birmingham's scores are above average in every drivability category. It has very low gas prices and a good travel time index. The climate is good$#151;little snow, hail, and wind$#151;and the roads are smoother than the national average.

8. El Paso, TX
El Paso has very low gas prices but the roads are rough. Mobility is good too$#151;the travel time index is low and there is little annual delay per peak road traveler.

9. Memphis, TN
Memphis scores well in all the categories$#151;low gas prices, good mobility, mild climate, and smooth roads.

10. Tulsa, OK
Tulsa has very low gas prices, good mobility, and a driving climate that is better than average. Oklahoma's rough urban roads kept Tulsa from ranking higher.

The 10 Least Drivable Cities

1. Los Angeles-Long Beach, CA
2. San Francisco, CA
Los Angeles was very clearly the least drivable city studied. L.A. has the nation's worst mobility$#151;the highest travel time index (1.9), the highest annual delay per peak road traveler (136 hours), and the highest roadway congestion index. San Francisco has the highest gas prices in the nation ($2.20/gallon). Although both cities have rough roads, they have great driving climates.

3. Chicago, IL
Although its gas prices were lower than average, Chicago scores poorly in every other drivability category. The Windy City has rough roads, a poor driving climate, and slightly worse than average mobility.

4. Denver, CO
Denver has a very poor driving climate and rough roads. Traffic congestion is slightly worse than average mobility, but at least Denverians pay less for the extra gas they use when stuck in traffic.

5. Boston, MA
Like many large cities, Beantown suffers from rough roads and slightly worse than average mobility. Low gas prices help offset a generally poor driving climate.

6. Oakland, CA
Oakland has very high gas prices, very rough roads, and a great deal of traffic congestion. Like nearby San Francisco, Oakland's only positive is its great climate.

7. Detroit, MI
The Motor City has very rough roads and a driving climate that is worse than average. Drivers who can put up with those deficits are rewarded with average congestion and low gas prices.

8. New York, NY
Motorists in the Big Apple contend with rough roads and slightly worse than average congestion. The plusses: New York has average gas prices and an average driving climate.

9. Seattle-Bellevue-Everett, WA
The Emerald City has worse than average mobility and slightly rougher than average roads. On the other hand, it has a better than average driving climate and average gas prices.

10. Washington, D.C
Traffic congestion and rough roads make D.C. a difficult place to get around. On the positive side, the nation's capital has a better than average driving climate and lower than average gas prices.

Other Notes:

Overall, cities in the Northeast rank poorly, with Philadelphia at #44, followed by Hartford at #53 and New York at #70. Meanwhile, Southern cities enjoy high rankings due to low gas prices, little traffic, short travel times, and fair climate. The most drivable large city is Atlanta, which ranks 20th overall.
San Francisco, Oakland and San Jose have the highest gas prices in the nation.
You'll be exceeding the daily average of 2 1/2 hours spent in the car by a typical American if you live in Washington, D.C., Miami or Seattle, when it comes to traffic congestion and average travel time.
Detroit, Fresno, and Sacramento have the roughest roads.
Keep the AC on when driving in San Bernardino, Austin and San Diego, which take the top spots for warm weather climates.
Bringing up the chilly rear is Anchorage, Rochester and Buffalo, where your car's heater will be on for much of the year.

I thought New York was #8...............:stupid:

Im Suprised Baltimore isnt ranked top 10.Man That Baltimore Beltway gets tied up around 8-9:30 AM and 4-6PM I wonder Volcom loves sitting on that freeway :D

I went in Chicago - wow... awful traffic. All highway are three-lane on one-way

Baltimore needs an 8 lane highway on 695 And an 8 lane on I-95 From Baltimore to Washington 795.

The list doesn't surprises me at all but it's quite interesting to see which cities are ranked. Also I have noticed, The post was from 2003. So it's probably out of date by now. If there's an updated list, It'd be great to see the comparison.

Back