Thank you, veterans

My father and his brothers fought in WWII. All of them are gone now, may they rest in peace. They were psychologically damaged by the war and never talked about it until near their deaths. Now, they are at peace. It was the Greatest Generation in many ways.

My father and his brothers fought in WWII. All of them are gone now, may they rest in peace. They were psychologically damaged by the war and never talked about it until near their deaths. Now, they are at peace. It was the Greatest Generation in many ways.

My brother was damaged also by the Vietnam War. It was shocking the last time I saw him....remembering him being so good looking and healthy!...Now, for years and years, he became a "recluse", only leaving his very small apt. once a week to buy "only neccesitaties". Try as I might to get him up and "get going"....didn't work. He's lost to the whole family....but we still call him once so often, he will only say a few words, then has to go!...I blame it on the war (Vietnam). He won't talk about it, either.

Thank you, Veterans!!

thank you veterans!

to USMC- Semper Fi! [semper fidelis means Always Faithful].

Thank you Veterans!

My dad was in Air Force Reserves
:ty: to all veterans and to also remember any POW's, MIA's, KIA-

Thank you, ladies and gentlemen for your service to our countries. :)

My father was in Korea and my Uncle had a "cushy" job during Vietnam. He was a secretary for General Westmoreland here stateside.

Thank you to all veterans both past and present.

Thank you for thanking us :ty:

Thank you to our veterans! :) Happy Remembrance day to my fellow Canadians and to the British & Australians, but happy Veterans day to the Americans! :) I appreciate all that they've done for me. My uncle is in the Canadian military and has been to Afghanistan well over ten times. My great-grandfather also served in the 2nd World War.

My cousin married a decorated Vietnam veteran. He was a hero. He was never the same. He had mental problems and became an alcoholic. He never recovered. My cousin ended up separating and rearing the children on her own. He died as a result of his alcoholism. Very sad.

My dad joined the army before the draft. He wanted to fly because he was afraid on being on the ground. He was one of the guys who dropped the bombs. I don't think that person can do something like that without it affecting him. My dad flew extra missions and earned a star. He wanted to talk about it when his death was imminent. He wanted me to know. Impending death breaks down barriers, I guess. I still have the metal covered Bible that his mother gave him in which he recorded all of his missions and his wings. On his 13th mission, he was pulled from the plane at the last moment. A soldier who only had one more mission took his place. That plane went down and he always said that 13 was his lucky number. Mine, too, apparently.

I am sad with you, Sally, to read about the effects of war on those we love:(

-honor the warriors, not the war-

Thanks, dogmom. It was really important to my father and uncles to feel appreciated and like they had done something worthwhile. That's what anyone wants, really.

We can honor the soldiers' sacrifices without celebrating violence and war. It's even more important for soldiers coming home from unpopular wars like Vietnam because their reception was not a joyous victory like WWII.

Many thanks to all my fellow veterans. :ty:

Thanks also to ADers for remembering us. :)

It's a blessing to me to live in a military town. I'm able to see military people almost every day wearing their uniforms so I can go up to them and thank them for their service to our country. Their faces light up when they hear those words.

Back