Thank you Barry Strassler and Deaf Digest

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradB08

Reaction score
I didn't think you'd pick up on this but since it's a bit political in nature (mods, go ahead and move it if you must), I'm glad you noticed. My original post which is more complete than what Barry posted on DeafDigest Blue:

just thought I'd send out this email to let people know that I am a member of the Vermont Commission on Native American Affairs. We meet every month in Montpelier at the National Life Building. If you are interested in attending a meeting, let me know. I have two interpreters at each meeting. I joined this commission in 2008 when Governor Douglas selected me based on my application. I am a member of the Maquam band of the Missisquoi Abenakis. I can trace my family lineage to an ancestor from England who married an Abenaki woman (Sarah Moritz) and started my family line.

Currently, this commission is involved in a high profile battle over recognition of Native Americans in the state of Vermont. Currently, the Vermont House has passed a revised version of S.222, which is the bill for recognition. My commission has been involved with input over making this bill fair to ALL Native Americans in Vermont and I personally testified against the original (Senate) version of the bill, which would only give recognition to 4 tribes, 3 of which have questionable genealogy.

I thought I would let people know. If there are any other deaf or hard-of-hearing Native Americans in Vermont, I would love to hear from you.

I currently maintain a blog which has gotten nearly 2,000 views alone this month due to the high profile of this bill:

Vermont Native Journal

Feel free to check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back