Texting

Usually, My brother and I are left out at family gatherings...do I text to keep myself company and do I sit there with no idea what everyone is saying and pretend what everyone is saying. Isnt it rude of them to not make sure I know what everyone is saying?

If you put it that way... I dont see what you're doing as wrong, but at the same time, some people just want to talk to you in different periods time of the day and if you're always texting, they can't approach you.

I think if you're constantly stuck to your PDA/Phone then there isn't much to you..... where's your personality? Where's you?

If you put it that way... I dont see what you're doing as wrong, but at the same time, some people just want to talk to you in different periods time of the day and if you're always texting, they can't approach you.

I think if you're constantly stuck to your PDA/Phone then there isn't much to you..... where's your personality? Where's you?

My personality shines through when people take the time to include me. I have had situations where I try to join conversations only to get constantly interrupted by other people making it impossible to finish what I have to say and I end up discouraged. It gets so old after a while so when that happens I start texting my girlfriends or my deaf brother to keep me from dying from boredom.

One on one situations or small groups, iam fine but large groups, iam out.

That's why I prefer to be in a signing environment with large groups.

hello?i am a chinese, and i am studying english, i wonder what does "text" here mean?.
clear.gif

Text is short for Texting. When you write messages on your cell phone.

I think of texting the same as how a hearing person would use a voice phone... if I'm engaged in a conversation, I do not answer my SK (unless I'm expecting an urgent call - then will briefly explain to the person to excuse me as I must answer my call, etc.)...I can multi-task like crazy...and it's very natural for me to be texting while I'm doing ten other things...but I do try to take in consideration when someone's talking to me. :)

Like everyone else says, I think constant texting is rude when you are communicating to others. All my brothers and sisters text all the time and that is annoying enough.

I have a young hearing friend who can sign. He wanted to come over so that we could visit and have some quality signing time. He spent most of the visit on the patio texting. I was very offended. Why invite himself so I can watch texting? Rude.

Oh PowerOn, I absolutely LOVE that video. Wann is my favorite. It really shows texting in truth!! ha!

I think texting is rude it comes to having company but if u work... but work is really dead then u can text BUT not often but my boss is always on stupid his cell phone using texting and it annoys me... blah oh well.. I know texting isn't allowed at work but one or 2 have cell phone on them but they wud use phone in back of store (in wharehouse which is fine) but on floor nope... cuz I consider it rude but whatever.. long long time ago I wud be on pager and texting too much til I put it away in my purse but now my stupid watch is broken and i use my pager to look at time.. sheesh on other hand sorry if I go off topic here but I have a good question do u guys use your pager if u work? if so u turn vibration and sounds off right? :)

Yes, I use my pager at work. Keep it in pocket or bag. Set to vibrate and check if emergency when having breaks or lunch. Not too many ways for family to contact me otherwise.

Thanks guys. I learned a lot from this thread. Ever since I started this thread, I've had my phone off almost always and it's definitely changed the way I use it. It's only when I'm available that I turn on the phone.

hello?i am a chinese, and i am studying english, i wonder what does "text" here mean?.
clear.gif
"Text" is an alpha-numeric message that is keyed on a cell phone or pager. "Texting" is the verb form of "text". It means the process of sending text messages back and forth to each other.

I don't mind it if the text is something along the lines of "Meet you there at 5:00" and the person I'm with tells me "Jane told us to meet her there at 5." But if the person is texting with someone else and not letting me in on it, especially repeatedly, then I find it incredibly rude.

even my family have noticed my texting while we're out at dinner or whatever. I can never keep up with most of their conversations, and it's a noisy setting so.... I resort to my sidekick to chat with friends/texting/entertainment. I'm not going to sit there at the table, feeling left out and bored out of my mind, no way!

Back