Text-Messaging Ban begins Jan 1, 2008...

Text messaging should be banned from funeral homes as well.

Not necessary to set up the law for it. People, who use text at funeral should be sent to "learn how to be polite" class.

Mythbusters did look into the myth of driving while talking on the cell phone being just as or more dangerous than driving drunk, and they were able to prove how dangerous it is to use a cell phone while driving.

Text messaging should be banned from funeral homes as well.

I don't think it should make law for like that, funeral home is responsible to adopt the rule to ban on usage of text messaging or cellphone, such as labeled on wall.

Make law for funeral home looks pointless or not good, they just adopt the rule or owner can ask anyone to leave if they break it.

I don't think all hearies are this ignorant or rude. I think it depends on how self-absorbed the individual is.

Agreed.
Just because someone can hear doesn't mean they're rude or have a lack of manners for JUST deaf people.
If they're rude to you, chances are they're rude to everyone else, regardless of their ability to hear or not.
And yes, I am deaf.

I don't think it should make law for like that, funeral home is responsible to adopt the rule to ban on usage of text messaging or cellphone, such as labeled on wall.

Make law for funeral home looks pointless or not good, they just adopt the rule or owner can ask anyone to leave if they break it.

No don't make a law for that.

It just needs to be banned along with cell phones in funeral home.

How would you like it if all deaf people show up at your funeral and started text messaging?

Tasteless.....

No don't make a law for that.

It just needs to be banned along with cell phones in funeral home.

Tasteless.....
That's the way I took that you meant it; not passing a law but just thru gentle enforcement by the staff, and social pressure by peers.

How would you like it if all deaf people show up at your funeral and started text messaging?
Or what if the dead Deaf person is still clinging to his text pager in his coffin? ;)

In Ontairo, Canada. Pager/Cell phone: Texting or sms or pin etc.. will charge 15 cent per. Following new date Jan 13th 2007. Whoa.. Changed their systems.. Interesting..
I bet ppl will pissy off big time!

That's the way I took that you meant it; not passing a law but just thru gentle enforcement by the staff, and social pressure by peers.

Or what if the dead Deaf person is still clinging to his text pager in his coffin? ;)
:laugh2:

:laugh2:

hearing people who drive with cell phones should be banned too.. They are a distraction to the road...kinda hard to talk to the phone and keep eye on the road at the same time. I've almost got in accident a few times with drivers who drive with cell phones.

I agree with you, I don`t know how many times I`ve seen people that did not stop at the red light.A couple of times I almost got hit and they keep on talking on their phones and did not notice I was there.:mad:

I have seen many near misses due to people driving and talking at the same time. I think because it is just as hazardous as driving drunk, it should carry the same (or equivalent) penalties as though you were driving drunk.

What I dont understand is they ban the use of cell phones on planes, but yet they have not banned it completely on the roads. I think it would be safer to use a cell phone on a plane rather than on the highway. :eek:

There should be a federal ban on using any mobile phone (or similar device) while operating a vehicle. The penalty would be more than just a small $100 fine - it would mean the automatic revocation of your driver's license for a minimum of six months, but not more than 1 year. Your insurance company would drop you like a hot rock as well considering the statistics. The second offense would be the automatic revocation of your license for 1 year, 3rd offense you lose your license for LIFE.

Another driving hazard to cell phones is people fueling at gas pumps and also talking or texting on their phones despite the warning signs against it.

Every summer, many users of cell phones spark lethal explosions at gas stations.

that I dont understand is they ban the use of cell phones on planes, but yet they have not banned it completely on the roads. I think it would be safer to use a cell phone on a plane rather than on the highway.

The reason why they ban cell phones on planes because it scrambles with the communication system for the pilots of the planes. That's why they tell you to disconnect the signal, but you can play games, browse addresses or whatever without using the data or voice. It won't work anyway because it's way too high in the sky.

The reason why they ban cell phones on planes because it scrambles with the communication system for the pilots of the planes. That's why they tell you to disconnect the signal, but you can play games, browse addresses or whatever without using the data or voice. It won't work anyway because it's way too high in the sky.

Good, informative post, Sequoia. Your screen name honors an American linguist I very much admire.

Good, informative post, Sequoia. Your screen name honors an American linguist I very much admire.

cool, my screen name refers to love of giant sequoia trees that grow natively in California. Notice the signature below? (sorry for the off point) Back to the subject. ;)

Sorry, more off-topic: Those trees you admire were so named after Sequoia (also Sequoyah), the great native scholar and liguist who created his people's Cherokee alphabet.

Back on topic: Tomorrow in Salem, our legislators will discuss banning teen drivers who operate vehicles while cell-phoning voice, text, or photos.

Okay, I understand the idea that teens currently do this more, but I think the legislation should include all drivers, young and older.

it's more like for them to believe, in theory, that cell phones would scrambles with communication system. From what I hear on mythbusters saying that nobody have dare test it while in air. So, they did, while only pretend they're place fake airplane on top of truck above 11 feet. They find no scramble at all.

I sure wish that anyone need to test. I think that bandwidth are totally different path connect without scramble.

otherwise, the hacker would want to mess up.

It's very difficult to use text messaging when drive on roads, same goes to highway but I had been used at few time, that's really tough, even almost get in wrong way then decided to leave it alone when driving on road, I did used sometime on traffic stop light, just watch on both of them.

I agree that cell phone should be banned too, I almost got in accident by people with cell phone.

You know by personal experience how difficult it is to text while driving on highways? That's really scary.

Back