Testing

SilentWanderer

Reaction score
Greetings. I just attempted to post my intro thread and it disappeared, so let's hope this sticks.

I live in Winter Haven, FL, USA and I am a hearing person. I'm here because I'm taking up learning ASL again after letting my skills languish for too long. After I lost my job in Feb 2011, my LMHC (I have PTSD) suggested that I become a sign language interpreter because I wouldn't have to vocalize extensively (I will state why in the next paragraph), and at first, that really bothered me (just seemed insensitive to the deaf), but then I got to thinking. I love language, and have always been fascinated with all forms of communication, verbal and nonverbal, and I have a talent for it. While I do want to work with sign, I don't want to be unrealistic. I also wanted to find a place online where I can interact with those in the deaf community.

I have had muscle tension dysphonia since 2007 - my ability to make a voice is unpredictable at best. I'd never been very talkative before, so not being able to speak doesn't bother me per se. Dealing with others, though...people in general are pretty rude about it, even after I explain (attempt to explain in most cases) what is "wrong" with me. What people take for granted...*shakes head*

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Sorry that you had problems with "normal" people who does not understand your disability of not speaking very well. Signing does help you to communicate so that we can understand what you talking about.

One more thing when you become an interpreter, you can mouth the words (no voice) while signing to your clients. We can watch both lipreading and signing at the same time. It is much easier than lipreading alone. So good luck on becoming an interpreter.

****Also there might be a problem if you need to speak to the hearing person when a Deaf client ask questions meaning you have to use voice for the hearing person. Something to think about. :hmm:

I hope you enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Back