Testing

sonocativo

Reaction score
I had my first hearing test since my bi-lateral activation.
Both ears were 90% word recongnition in quiet environment and 88% in noisy environment. Everything is in the normal hearing range as well.

My audi said I an very advanced in such a short time (bilateral activation on 4/3/15 )

May I ask, how many years were you deaf before getting the implants?
Condor I was born hearing impaired, gradually over the years it degraded, around 2004 it just dropped off and by 2008 hearing aids didnt work for me anymore and i was then considered legally deaf without aids, and didnt get use any hearing devices since. I was basically in a world of silence but could still hear very loud noises like yelling into my ear but then barely heard anything until i got the CI recently in 2014/2015

since 2008 I took ASL and started learning sign, still in the basics as I dont know anyone else who signs other than my wife who was learning with me and we have since split. My son ( soon to be 5 ) also knows ASL as we are teaching him and he is catching on very well.

Ok, because my daughter went in today for her appt. It is the first mapping after activation. He turned it up a bit, and did a few word tests. She started to understand a few words, but still very "rumbling" as she puts it. Hopefully her brain will start to make sense of it as time goes on. It seems each visit he is turning it up slowly but surely so her nerve gets used to the sensation. After she take the CI off, she hears a lot of ringing in her ear from all that stimulation.

Have him check the connection power ( coil to implant) as it can cause warbling and other strange noises. My first did it and now my second is doing it so I need to have the second one boosted too. It should level out, yes because her nerves havent been stimulated in a long time, its a shock factor to them. My second ear hasnt caught up to the first yet, still robotic sounding but better.... next mapping is july for me. But I may have to go in soon to get the power boosted so the warbling sound stops like the first one did. It will get better with time for her, its just the brains learning process, and how much it adjusts/absorbs over time. Could be quick or a long process, but if she is making out words then i think she will be catching on fast from here? Hope it all goes well.
I found out through Cochlear that you can use any cochlear audiologist, so if you dont like who you have you can request or seek another.

Back