Testing MCI Wireless IP Relay telnet - Works on ANY WIRELESS DEVICE (not just HipTop)

Mark Rejhon

Reaction score
Since as a gadget-heavy company, I am lucky to have access to many wireless gadgets. Here are tests Made:

All tests were made using these configuration settings in all respective telnet client software:
Protocol: "Telnet"
Hostname: "wireless.ip-relay.com"
Port: "2510"

Confirmed Working Wireless IP-Relay
  1. Blackberry 62XX / 72XX / 67XX / 77XX / 65XX / 75XX - the one I currently use
    Client: www.idokorro.com (Free trial)
    Note: This means all Blackberries should work, if you are using a Nextel model or you are running BES
    Note2: There are cheap ways to get BES for only $6.95 per month, which is required to get Telnet running on a Cingular/T-Mobile Blackberry.
    Note3: Ask for a deaf discount. They may have a verison for IP-Relay users.
  2. RIM 950 - the old crappy ones
    Client: www.avidtelnet.com
    Note: It actually performs a bit faster than Wyndtell's crappy "Live TTY"
  3. WindowsXP (on my WiFi laptop)
    Client: Windows Telnet.
    Instructions: Start -> Run -> "telnet wireless.ip-relay.com 2510"
    Note: You can test this NOW on your existing desktop by clicking: telnet://wireless.ip-relay.com:2510/
  4. PocketPC PDA over WiFi
    Client: vXHPC at www.cam.com/vxhpc.html
    Note: Without a thumb keyboard, it's quite slow to use Grafitti or onscreen keyboard.
  5. PalmPilot / TREO
    Client: Mocha Telnet at www.mochasoft.dk/palm.html
    Note: I was using an older PalmPilot, but TREO should work
  6. Linux
    Client: 'telnet' command at the Linux shell prompt
    Note: Command is "telnet wireless.ip-relay.com 2510"
  7. Nokia 68XX cellphone
    Client: Idokorro Nokia client at www.idokorro.com/imssh6800.html
    Note: illustrator tested this, and this works great.
  8. Mac
    Client: The Mac telnet client
    Note: illustrator tested this, and this works great. He says it works better than going to http://www.ip-relay.com

Although very slow in some ways, so far, it seems all telnet software works with MCI's service, so I am guessing that it will work on these as well:

Not tested, but probable working
  • Nokia 3650/6600/9210 cellphone
    Sony-Ericcson products
    PSION products
    JAVA products
    Client: Mocha client at http://www.mochasoft.dk

Last edited:
I did beat MCI to writing my own wireless TTY telnet server though! Been using device-independent wireless TDD/wireless relay for almost 2 years now, using my own homebrewed wireless TTY server software. Copy of my post about my TTY server software:
I put matters into my hands and programmed a Linux TTY modem server that I can access over telnet/ssh. (Thank goodness I'm a programmer!)

Now I can access it from any wireless device I own (PocketPC, Blackberry, Sidekick) as long as it has a telnet/ssh client available. Instant wireless device freedom. My Linux TTY server is very similiar in behaviour to MCI's IP-Relay, but much faster. And I can call any TTY I want, rather than just Relay.

The latency is very good. Very fast. Much better than any wireless TTY solution I've used. Only 1 second transmission delay -- which makes my Linux TTY server faster than online relay services. (where the transmission lag is usually 2-3 seconds). It's realtime keypress-at-a-time transmission wireless TTY on my color Blackberry 7280 now, no need to type first and then press Enter. Configurable packettization/burstability - for word-at-a-time and halfword-at-a-time operation, or similiar to phrase-at-a-time operation, for networks that cannot handle keypress-at-a-time wireless transmission operation. Although Hiptop's "Terminal Monkey" software is confirmed to work with my Linux TTY server, I now use a color Blackberry 7280 which IMHO, is much better than Hiptop, but costs twice as much monthly and much more complex to set up at first. While the telnet client for Hiptop is free, the third party telnet client for Blackberry is expensive at $195 for the software alone (www.idokorro.com). I've got instant messaging on all 4 networks now: Yahoo, AIM, ICQ, MSN, in one single Trillian-style contact list on my Blackberry using www.webmessneger.com now. Battery life is excellent too - 4 continuous days of always-on instant messaging and email, with great reliability, since Blackberries was designed for mission critical business.

I've actually went into talks with a commercial provider about commercializing my Linux TTY server which I originally programmed for my personal use, but I think they decided to stick with their existing solution, or that there's been some financial problems caused by the drops in relay funding. (I'm still open to commercializing my Linux TTY server software...which I originally written just for my own personal use!) I've been way too busy with other things in my business to consider talks with other service providers in commercializing my solution. (I'm a self employed contract software engineer myself)

Incidentially, I tested MCI's Wireless IP-Relay on my Blackberry. Seems to work; but it seems quite a bit slower. I'll keep it on my Blackberry as a backup. It's always nice to have backups; and this does have the advantage of letting me directly connect to an MCI operator when I need one!

My Linux TTY software also has optional commanding (using IRC-style commands) for doing things such as macros, hangups, automatic "Please Call XXX-XXXX" transmission to relay operator. But doesn't require these commands. My Linux TTY server is capable of incoming calls, but generally, I prefer www.dictomail.com for incoming calls... since people don't need to call a relay service to reach me!!

Note: It appears that MCI Wireless IP-Relay appears to be a device-independent service. That means it will work on older RIM pagers, the new Blackberries, HipTop, PalmPilot, PocketPC, TREO, even some cellphones, whatever has a telnet client available...

Mark Rejhon

Last edited:
Between third party voice-to-text from www.imbot.com and third-party text-to-voice from www.dictomail.com (no need for incoming relay calls anymore) as well as instant messaging software for MSN/ICQ/AIM/Yahoo from www.webmessenger.com .... it is becoming more and more possible to choose any wireless device provider and turn it into a wireless communications powerhouse for just about any deaf user.

It can get expensive with purchasing extra software and services separately, and prices are probably going to keep falling, but we all are no longer stuck to using just deaf-friendly cellphones.

So far, the new color Blackberry seems the best, but the Hiptop does provide a good bang for the buck. And TREO now can be deaf-friendly with all the new software.

I have a Window XP Home Edition its not wireless and I can do that ip relay on the computer not laptop.

I just typed and appear

Open Common prompt then type "telnet" without quotes then type follow bottom

Micorsoft Telnet> open wireless.ip-relay.com 2510

Yes, that works too, or I can just type "telnet wireless.ip-relay.com 2510" in the "Run" box. It is a barebones interface but very compatible with many wireless devices!

Another advantage is that telnet is open source; somebody can write a nice fancy TTY terminal that automatically connects using telnet; so that something more user friendly can be programmed for the more popular devices; while retaining compatibility with a wide number of devices.

The good thing is that this is more realtime than AIM and WAP (better than LormarLogic style)

One last thing, there appears to be some glitches with the Blackberry session with Wireless IP-Relay where some operators comment that there are blank lines automatically inserted in the conversation. This annoys operators greatly. (Operators are already understandably skittish, because of scam calls made through IP-Relay, and blank lines appear 'unprofessional' -- but I'm not causing them)

I think there is a configuration issue with Idokorro Mobile Telnet that needs to be adjusted.

I just figured out the solution for Idokorro software --

Edit the session and turn off "Enter sends CR+LF". The reason is that MCI's systems treat CR exactly the same as LF ... so hitting Enter automatically causes Enter to be displayed twice on the operator's screen, and thus cause blank lines, sometimes in the middle of a sentence!

As a result of this, I make a formal recommendation: The MCI staff needs to program the software to intelligently filter out these blank lines that are transmitted. That will prevent the operators from being annoyed from legitimate deaf callers that are using different telnet clients such as Idokorro, where you have to hit Enter after every line.

Also, the MCI operators seem to get confused frequently by wireless calls made through a Blackberry for some reason. Perhaps it because it behaves so differently that it seems 'suspicious'. (Or maybe a little too skittish, because of Nigeran IP-Relay scams. This hurts us legitimate callers *sigh* -- Microsoft MSNBC reported on this subject.)

Last edited:
Christo said:
I have a Window XP Home Edition its not wireless and I can do that ip relay on the computer not laptop.

I just typed and appear

Open Common prompt then type "telnet" without quotes then type follow bottom

Micorsoft Telnet> open wireless.ip-relay.com 2510
It's too much work to go www.ip-relay.com... i suggest you all to go www.nextalk.net.. it give you a short cut intead of type www.ip-relay.com over and over... i love nextalk cuz you can call somebody tdd to tdd is that nice?

Go to www.Nextalk.net Sign it up then Download it then there you go!!!

if you have a question... PM Me!

I only use MCI because it works on a Blackberry cellphone -- i.e. Blackberry cellphone can double as a TDD/TTY when using MCI Wireless IP-Relay.

To the best of my knowledge, NexTalk does not work on a cellphone.

Can you install NexTalk on a cellphone such as HipTop/Blackberry, or on a handheld computer such as a PalmPilot? Like you can with MCI Wireless IP-Relay?

Last edited:
HI one of my freind told me that if i wants to set up a ip relay on my sidekick i have to pay 20 buck a year and she told me that it was on her t mobile bill

I wants to know it it ture or not let me know pls

I'm paying a flat rate for unlimited GSM/GPRS Internet access on my Blackberry at the moment. But unlimited access sometimes costs extra...

However, $20 per year isn't that bad, if she's on a cheaper "pay-as-you-go" plan, then that $20 incremental is not too bad.

I prefer the Blackberry over HipTop/Sidekick.... Longer battery life, better thumb keyboard for me.... But a lot more expensive than HipTop/Sidekick, especially when I have to pay for third-party services like WebMessenger (ICQ/AIM/MSN/Yahoo), Blackberry Enterprise Server (www.mailstreet.com), Dictomail (www.dictomail.com) etc. The great thing is that it is now possible to build your own Ultimate Wireless Service by piecing together lots of third party services now!

Last edited:
RosesNY said:
HI one of my freind told me that if i wants to set up a ip relay on my sidekick i have to pay 20 buck a year and she told me that it was on her t mobile bill

I wants to know it it ture or not let me know pls

Yes.. it is true, if you have not install or download before April 5th.

I test on that my Nokia 6800 with ip-relay.com, it work so well. Pretty normal as TRS. But slow, when I open application. :( Little awkward when I type to make out communiation.

Only the complain I have is... I have to type every time when I start to make connect to wireless.ip-relay.com all the time which seem annoying to me. I want to create the short cut where I could go there direct.

I don't want to memories always. :dizzy:

Anyway, I test it on my Mac OS X's Terminal thru telnet which it work so wonderful better than go to ip-relay.com which bother me.

Last edited:
Glad MCI Wireless IP-Relay works for you!

Why don't you email the Idokorro people and tell them? support@idokorro.com .... They might be happy to help you.

Please tell them that their cellphone Idokorro works with MCI Wireless IP-Relay too!
And deaf Blackberry users can ask for a cheaper version of Idokorro -- they are considering making a client for IP-Relay. So contact them!

Last edited:
The keyboard works -- they see your typing but you can't. It's a MICROSOFT BUG .... but it doesn't stop you from making calls, just type the phone number blindly (even if you can't see yourself typing) and the operator will see you type!

(If you want to fix this bug, get a better telnet program for Windows!)

cando,

Thank you, thank you! That's the cheapest BES/MDS I've found. I'll probably switch eventually. The new Lormar Logic TTY service sounds like it is true REALTIME now -- finally! Just immediately purchased a 6 month service to Lormar Logic (but not transferred my BES/MDS hosting yet) I'll see how good that it is for me. Finally, it seems realtime enough.

By the way, I just added the Lormar service to my BES/MDS Hosting FAQ which is currently a sticky in one of the most popular Mobile Phone Forums on the Internet, www.HowardForums.com .... A popular FAQ that I wrote myself, is now a sticky thread located in the RIM (Research In Motion) area the site, titled The Hosted BES/MDS Thread: aka "Access To HTML/telnet/AIM/ICQ/MSN without buying BES"

[Edit: Just tested out the free Lormar Logic TTY service through the BES/MDS. It's simply and autoreloading WAP page of sorts. It's not nearly as realtime as my homebuilt Linux TTY server that I access using Idokorro MobileSSH -- mine acts more like a real TTY instead of a webpage. Followed by MCI's slightly slower MCI Wireless IP-Relay which is still more realtime than this Lormar Logic service is. However, it will serve as a nice backup service for the times when neither my Linux TTY server nor MCI Wireless IP-Relay is not accessible.]

Last edited:
Just tested out the free Lormar Logic TTY service through the BES/MDS. It's simply and autoreloading WAP page of sorts. It's not nearly as realtime as my homebuilt Linux TTY server that I access using Idokorro MobileSSH -- mine acts more like a real TTY instead of a webpage. Followed by MCI's slightly slower MCI Wireless IP-Relay which is still more realtime than this Lormar Logic service is. However, it will serve as a nice backup service for the times when neither my Linux TTY server nor MCI Wireless IP-Relay is not accessible.]

Care to give us your home built linux tty server ?

Back