Terping English word order with mouthing

evil_queen_lisa

Reaction score
Just wondering how the terps on here feel about interpreting into english word order with mouthing? My uni is trying to find this for me for my classes this year but are claiming that its hard to find people to do it.
How many of you would/would not be willing/able to do it? I'm just wondering how much of a 'skill' it actually is over ASL terping.
Thanks,
*EQL*

For some of my Seminary classes I asked my ASL interpreters to use a slightly more PSE style (including mouthing of complicated words and when fingerspelling). It was still ASL, (using spacial grammar etc) just not "pure ASL" all the time.

They said it was a very common request - and it was fine.
I think it would be difficult for them to find someone to sign SEE and mouth in many areas ... you may want to clarify that you are looking for someone who uses ASL signs, but in a more English word order ... they may be misunderstanding and looking for a SEE I/II interpreter.

Just wondering how the terps on here feel about interpreting into english word order with mouthing? My uni is trying to find this for me for my classes this year but are claiming that its hard to find people to do it.
How many of you would/would not be willing/able to do it? I'm just wondering how much of a 'skill' it actually is over ASL terping.
Thanks,
*EQL*
I follow the deaf consumer's preferences, no problem.

thanks. I will re-clarify that i don't want SEE. I'm willing to fight this year, so I hope they are getting their act in gear!
*EQL*

I don't think that you'll have a problem at all ... it sounds like you are looking for more of a PSE style ... which is very very common in an educational setting.

While there are a lot of "native ASLers" in universities, there are as many if not more ASL users who actually prefer a more "English style" of signing (like PSE) especially if they have usable residual hearing (like myself) that allows them to hear a bit of what the prof is saying but not enough to rely on for learning ... I had my interpreters use a more "English ASL" (all ASL signs, ASL grammar, slightly modified word order) so that it mined up more with what I was able to hear/understand from teh prof.

Apparently this is VERY common in many classes - especially ones where word selection/order makes a difference in meaning (which was the case with my seminary / theology classes) ... over the 2 years I had 4 "teams" of ASL interpreters - each "Team" made of 2 interpreters ... ALL of them were able to match my preference for the class, and all said that it was a common request and easy to do :)

If they still are struggling - I'd recommend asking if you can meet with a few of the terps and actually show/explain what you are really asking for and then have the interpreters make the decision if they feel qualified to interpret that way (or at least give a few classes a try for you)

BTW - keep in mind that you are able to request both interpreters AND note-takers for the same classes - I'd really really recommend doing this as it's VERY difficult to follow interpreters, view any overheads/whiteboard etc material as well as take notes at the dame times
I'm guessing that the "hiccup" is that they are thinking you need SEE I/II not "ASL just using more English like grammar"

I hope one of you can answer this question for me then...

I plan to start taking classes to become an interpreter in the spring. I'm starting with ASL I; total newbie. I'm teaching myself now and have been on the hunt for someone local to practice with.

Anyway, one of my main questions is do you expect us to interpret as we hear it (in English word order), or is the standard that we interpret in ASL order?

e.g. We hear: "I wear shorts everyday in the summer"
We sign: "During summer shorts everyday I" ?

Seems like an undertaking, but I'm just curious before I start down this path...

I plan to start taking classes to become an interpreter in the spring. I'm starting with ASL I; total newbie. I'm teaching myself now and have been on the hunt for someone local to practice with.

Anyway, one of my main questions is do you expect us to interpret as we hear it (in English word order), or is the standard that we interpret in ASL order?

Seems like an undertaking, but I'm just curious before I start down this path...
It depends on the situation and what the Deaf consumer requests.

There isn't one-size-fits-all interpreting.

It depends on many factors including the situation, who you're interpreting for etc. Interpreters need to be flexible enough to go from "PSE/ASL using mainly English grammar -> all the way to Strong "pure" ASL, depending on the needs and preferences of the Hoh/Deaf/SI client.

Back