'terp colleges

Jackie88

Reaction score
I am planning on becoming a 'terp. I want to go to Bloomsburg University, my ASL instructor recommended it to me. What do you guys think of it?

Jackie88 said:
I am planning on becoming a 'terp. I want to go to Bloomsburg University, my ASL instructor recommended it to me. What do you guys think of it?
This is a good college. It really depends on where you live Closer to Bloomsburg University or Community College of Philadephia (CCP)? I teach ITP at Union County College in Plainfield, NJ.

I kind of live in the middle. It is a difference of 15 minutes between the commute to each college. I looked at CCP and they don't have deaf education which I really want to take. I was hoping that Bloomsburg was a college that is respectable.

Jackie88 said:
I kind of live in the middle. It is a difference of 15 minutes between the commute to each college. I looked at CCP and they don't have deaf education which I really want to take. I was hoping that Bloomsburg was a college that is respectable.
Oh, You want Deaf Ed, then Bloomsburg is the place.

Bloomsburg's ITP is unfortunately suspended for the time being. A lot of people are working hard to get it reinstated but they haven't announced a decision yet. I know a lot of terps who went there and they are all really skilled, so it was a good program, but it's not currently offered.

For Deaf Education though, I'd actually recommend McDaniel College. They have a 5-year program in Deaf Education. At the end of it you have a Bachelor's, teaching certificate, and a Master's.

I didn't know that the ITP was suspended, that sucks. I wanted to major in 'terp and deaf ed at the same time. I have not heard of McDaniel College, where is it? I live in Pennsylvania and I can't go to any college that isn't in PA. Thanks for the info though.

McDaniel used to be called Western Maryland College. They changed it after I went there, I think in 2001? It's in Maryland, obviously, but just over the Pennsylvania line - nearish to Gettysburg. Unfortunately it is a private school, but I suppose the five-year program could be seen as money-saving rather than completing a Bachelor's and then completing a Master's separately. It would probably still cost more than a public school though.

Have you considered to go out-state?

*Wright State University in Daytona, Ohio is offering a brand-new BA program for an interpreter degree...
*West Oregon (or Washington?) University offers also but it is in a small town.

I recollected somebody telling me all universities in the nation that are currently offering degrees in interpreting but I cannot remember the rest. :-/ and I don't know much about those universities I have mentioned... sorry. :-/

I would love to go out of state but I'm stuck here for two reasons...1) I'm running a business while I'm in college which requires me home every weekend and 2) it costs a lot more to go to an out-of-state college, which is money I don't have. :cry:
I plan on taking both my majors at the same time which is going to be really difficult but then I would be there only as long as it takes to get my masters.

Back