Tent-Cities Across the World

gnarlydorkette

Reaction score
I want to make a thread about Tent-cities that people can share their experiences, photos, and information about their Tent City in their states/countries/whatever.

:)

You can view the locations of Tent-Cities across USA (and you can see Canada, Europe as well.)

Post your pictures, experiences/thoughts of your own Tent-City!

Tent-City's purposes are:
1) to educate the locals about what happened to Gally Protest and,
2) also to let Gally protestors (who are students, alumnis, and facult) knowing that they are not alone on the cause.

So not everybody is FOR the protest, but rather to partake so they can listen to the voices of the Deaf Gallaudetians.

(No bashing towards those who partake in Tent-City, no negativity toward the Gally Protest and Tent-city, and NO ATTITUDE !)

I went to San Diego's Tent-Beach (since we are unique- we can set up tents on our beach! San Diegan style!) last Saturday

It was interesting because the community at the tent was diverse-- some graduated from residental school (riverside, fremont, whatever) and some are mainstreamed, but most have been to Gally for at least ONE semester.

San Diegans don't care about JKF being "not Deaf enough"-- we respect Deaf in all forms in our community. We do not practice "Deafier-than-thou" here. San Diegans are worried about JKF's ability to become a good holistic leader-- she already refused to listen to the protestors and there are evidence of her abusing her position to relocate people who are too vocal in the administration. There are evidences that JKF is at Gallaudet for wrong reasons (power, money?) and she is not taking the president position with a heart and conscience FOR the Deaf community. She is an individual that attempts to lead a community... SHe needs to be PART of the community for us to follow.

Who in their right mind will want to work in a hostile enivornment with people who dislikes them??? and for many years to come??? Jane needs to resign to save herself from this disgrace and emotional turmoil that may fall upon her. The Deaf community has spoken.
Jane's not the right person for the leadership that comes with heavy responsibilites to present Gallaudet, the Deaf mecca, in the positive image to educate the world.

San Diego Deaf Community for FSSA

T520061014132106162.jpg

Cool! If I had known about it earlier, I would have gone to visit the tent city since this weekend is a slow one for me. :)

I am glad to see that there are Tent Cities establishing across the Nation and the world to see. There will be a Tent City coming soon here in Kentucky. Right now it is in the works to find a location and to establish a date in order to have a Tent City here in Kentucky. I will be finding out some more information as to the time, location and date of the Tent City. I will be going there for sure when it is established. When it does, I'll be posting my experience and pictures.

I am glad to see that there are Tent Cities establishing across the Nation and the world to see. There will be a Tent City coming soon here in Kentucky. Right now it is in the works to find a location and to establish a date in order to have a Tent City here in Kentucky. I will be finding out some more information as to the time, location and date of the Tent City. I will be going there for sure when it is established. When it does, I'll be posting my experience and pictures.

Most of tent are located in cities that where deaf school is from.

Most of tent are located in cities that where deaf school is from.

It is not always in these cases. It can be anywhere in these states. It does not have to be where the deaf schools are at.

It is not always in these cases. It can be anywhere in these states. It does not have to be where the deaf schools are at.

I see... Some of them aren't and where's KSD located?

I just had found out more information about the Tent City - It will be on this thursday from 4 pm to 7 pm at Jacobs Hall which is located at Kentucky School for the Deaf. There will be pizza, drinks and a bake sale. The money that are collected will proceed to FSSA.

For those who are in Kentucky or nearby and wish to attend - Please contact this person (down below) for more information. If you want the direction to the location where Tent City is being held, PM me and I'd be glad to help with the direction for the Tent City.

Last edited:
I see... Some of them aren't and where's KSD located?

bay area, san diego, seattle and several more don't have a deaf school. the important thing is that there is a large deaf community in the area. :) but you are rght-- near deaf schools do usually have a deaf communit so it is just easier to establish a tent-city near deaf school.

:)

Sound cool! .. i dont know about Arkansas.. I havent heard of anything what the deaf community will plan? hmm!

There is a tent city in the town where I went to the school for the deaf - Wisconsin School for the Deaf in Delavan, WI...at least that's what I've heard. *shrugs*

Some small advice: It would be very useful to know which cities where tent cities are being held and the address where they're being held.

As near as I can tell, the one in NC could be in Cary, Durham, Chapel Hill. However I'll admit that my geographical knowledge of NC leaves something to be desired.

Some small advice: It would be very useful to know which cities where tent cities are being held and the address where they're being held.

As near as I can tell, the one in NC could be in Cary, Durham, Chapel Hill. However I'll admit that my geographical knowledge of NC leaves something to be desired.

If you contact Deafeye of the website, I am sure he is more than glad to give you the information.

San Diego's Tent-beach has already passed. It was last Saturday. You can keep a cap on tent-cities if you check DeafRead.com daily for somebody to post an address/time.

If you contact Deafeye of the website, I am sure he is more than glad to give you the information.

San Diego's Tent-beach has already passed. It was last Saturday. You can keep a cap on tent-cities if you check DeafRead.com daily for somebody to post an address/time.

How long that tent would done? until after Jane is resign?

How long that tent would done? until after Jane is resign?

"San Diego's Tent-beach has already passed" meant it is down now. We met one day to make videos and digital pictures whilst we all discussed-- so we can let the people at Gally know that we are there for them.
But it is not our goal to pause our lives to camp out. It is illegal to camp on beach overnight.

I think most tent-cities are one-time thing-- just to make a symbol of our support. Some camps do prolong to understand "the experiences of the Gallaudet protests" but to be honest, I refuse to get fired or get bad grades just to support the protests by camping out (which means I stay on campsite ALL the times). I can support the protests without camping-out all the time until Jane resigns.

Think it as a "petition"-- with each Tent-City established, it is like a signature on the petition to let the Gally know that Jane should resign.

"San Diego's Tent-beach has already passed" meant it is down now. We met one day to make videos and digital pictures whilst we all discussed-- so we can let the people at Gally know that we are there for them.
But it is not our goal to pause our lives to camp out. It is illegal to camp on beach overnight.

I think most tent-cities are one-time thing-- just to make a symbol of our support. Some camps do prolong to understand "the experiences of the Gallaudet protests" but to be honest, I refuse to get fired or get bad grades just to support the protests by camping out (which means I stay on campsite ALL the times). I can support the protests without camping-out all the time until Jane resigns.

Think it as a "petition"-- with each Tent-City established, it is like a signature on the petition to let the Gally know that Jane should resign.

I see, there's 2 tents in IL, one in Chicago and other one in ISD.

There is a tent city in Springfield Massachusetts.

I've seen people sign "tent-city" by making the "tent" sign and moving it in the motions of the sign for "city" :)

DD, they were talking about Kentucky.

In the end, there were, I believe, 84 tent-cities world-wide.

There is a tent city in Springfield Massachusetts.

I've seen people sign "tent-city" by making the "tent" sign and moving it in the motions of the sign for "city" :)

Ditto here. :)
For San Diego, we got a different sign since it was a tent-beach-- with one hand for "tent" while the another hand mimics the wave being crashed next to the tent hand.

Nifty, huh?

San Diego Deaf Community for FSSA
if you want to see the sign itself in the vlog clip they created for the blogger.

Back