Tell me what you think?

ravensteve1961

Reaction score
I hear only sounds like dishes rattling fork hitting dish, Microwave door shut, Steel tray rattling in toaster oven, But i cannot hear speech,Telephone ringing ,Tv,Doorbell,Shower running,Electric Razor, Hairdryer or radio. I can turn radio up full blast but i do not understand what theyre saying.If anything else you think of ask me do i hear this i will tell you. Does that mean i can still quilfiy for CI?

yes you can still quilitify for CI.. as long ur cochlea fluids, ur cochlea is in good shape not closed and ur audiorty nerves are alive.

ravensteve1961 said:
I hear only sounds like dishes rattling fork hitting dish, Microwave door shut, Steel tray rattling in toaster oven, But i cannot hear speech,Telephone ringing ,Tv,Doorbell,Shower running,Electric Razor, Hairdryer or radio. I can turn radio up full blast but i do not understand what theyre saying.If anything else you think of ask me do i hear this i will tell you. Does that mean i can still quilfiy for CI?

Yes, you can qualify as long as long as your hearing is falls in the severe-to-hard of hearing range, reach a certain percentage of hearing speech--which is like 40 or 50 percent max without lipreading. I am sure you'll get very little. You have to go through a test to qualify anyway. You can get the evaluation and then post pone the surgery however long you want to wait. In the past (this is for interest information), you would only have to be totally deaf and not benefit one bit from hearing aid to qualify. Things have changed, and they changed it to severe-to-profound a couple of years ago. I would not have qualified as a child which was available because I did well with them.

Your cochlear does have to be in good shape. There are some people who have bone growth in the cochlea which is why Nucleus and Med-El have special arrays for that (notice why I say not to disregard Med-El :)). I don't think Clarion is recommended for these people. They just don't have that capability in their implant.

I did hear a lot of the things with HA that I do with CI. I could hear radio, but not understand a word with my HA. It was garbled and unpleasant. I can hear certain phrases, know when it's the news or annoucement of a product or know the topic of what they're talking about even if I don't get most of what they're saying. I enjoyed only upbeat music with HA, now I enjoy a wide range of musics from jazz to country. Notice, some deaf people hate jazz music because of the high pitches but I don't. It's relaxing for me. Some of the environmental sounds were too soft before and now it's louder because I hear more pitches with the CI than HA. Of course for you, you will be likely to hear radio and everything like you did before because you remember speech and have a solid speech memory. You've only been recently fallen deaf.

That's something I don't know an answer to. I can hear pretty well myself, but I can't always understand the words the lyrics when I listen to music.

As for music I think although not 100% sure that experiances with music and implantees has been a mixed bag at best. I remember reading an article in SHHH's journal about this.

TiaraPrincess said:
Yes, you can qualify as long as long as your hearing is falls in the severe-to-hard of hearing range, reach a certain percentage of hearing speech--which is like 40 or 50 percent max without lipreading. I am sure you'll get very little. You have to go through a test to qualify anyway. You can get the evaluation and then post pone the surgery however long you want to wait. In the past (this is for interest information), you would only have to be totally deaf and not benefit one bit from hearing aid to qualify. Things have changed, and they changed it to severe-to-profound a couple of years ago. I would not have qualified as a child which was available because I did well with them.
I have to wait!!! Its the fucking receptionist holding my time seeing a doctor. You know what happens if i barge my way in, Theyre call the fucking damn cops to deal with you. reba urge me not to contact a lawyer cause then if i sue and win no doctor will deal with me.So hears my deal if a CI cannot help me regain my hearing just the way it was then im gonna run to my lawyer and get my 5 million i deserve. If CI does get back my hearing just the way it was then im going to the medical board to get my doctors licence revoked that will put him and his staff out of a job and theyre be looking forward collecting unemployment. Ether way theyre gonna lose. If you belive being deaf is tough just wait until they go though the bullshit collecting unemployment belive you me its hell trying to collect unemployment it is hell. Its just as frustrating try to wait to get your oppointment.Heres whats it like going though getting unemployment.
douglas.jpg

Miss, Now youre have to fill out this form and get in line B
then you fill out the form and you get in line B stand and wait for 20 minutes.
adrian_kirkwood.jpg

((He Stamps your papers and he says this)) Miss, Now Get in line C
As you wait 10 minutes to see this lady,,

molloy.jpg

See ask you many questions about how long you worked and is this where you live and ask your a lot of stupid questions then shell say if you just take a number and sit over there and wait till your number get called and your number is 87.You walk and sit here wait for 45 minutes.
waiting%20room.JPG

Then Someone called 87! then you see this guy.
bob_pic.jpg

Then he asks you about your work history and all kinds of bullcrap questions he wants to know like how much you have in your bank account. You own a car? or what kind of house you own. And then he will tell you theyre get in touch with you in about form 10 days to 2weeks.

Its not as pleasent as it sounds. Its hell trying to collect unemployment just as hell wait to see your doctor

Last edited:
ravensteve1961 said:

You should talk to a professional, it is well understood that not everyone benefits from a CI. It depends on what is causing your hearing loss and this is not an easy thing for even a doctor to understand. If the doctor is unsure about what would happen. I would suggest reaching a genetic counciler to find out what exact mutations are causing your hearing loss. The process is that they would take a blood sample and isolate the DNA to send to a special genetic laboratory that specializes genetic heridetary deafness. It will take some time to get back results, very well could be a year or even longer. Not all deafness causing genes have been indentified, but if you have a common one it should found fairly easily. This way you could find people with the same mutation that have had a CI and find out what the success was in their case... Hope this helps... ps-there prob. aren't too many people out their with the high degree of knowledge this requires so I would suggest to do a little looking around for people that are highly specialized in genetic hearing research near where u live.

Were not in the 22nd century yet. By that time medical tech will be much improved than it is now. Theres no such instrument to see or tell what cause hearing loss. All doctors can do is guess. Theres only one person knows what cause my hearing loss and thats GOD. The best machine that can possibily tell is an MRI . The MRI can see everything in the inner ear. But it cannot say what caused the loss. My guess it came from that hurricane which i was trapped. And i will sue amtrak too cause the ticket dealer told me i have to wait my turn like everyone else. If io would has escaped from hurricane jeannie all might had been advoided and o probily wouldnt be hear talking to it right now. Cause thats when my ears start bothering me right after the hurricane. Why dont scintist try to stop a hurricane? My suggestion is use the nuclear bomb inside the eye of a hurricane? Then i bet the hurricane would dissolve and weaken.

I disagree with you, science has identified a lot of the mutations that cause deafness. Sure, not everything specifically is understood as to the effects in the ear specifically because of a certain mutation, which has to take in tons of variables and interactions. The big point I was trying to make was that mutations can be identified today, but not all of them. The other big point I was trying to make was if you have mutation A and get a CI that benefits yourself. It is then very likely that it would benefit other people who have the same deafness causing mutation A. This is way more precise then a MRI, which does not show everything and at times is misleading.

Of course I'm assuming that the hearing loss is genetic and not environmental in regard to my previous statements

Wanna see another person who went though almost same loss as i did?
Simular exact same thing happen to me
Heres an example on my hearing You see the green line now my normal hearing with aid was on near 60. and the red line is on between 100-110 right now.

RightEarAudiogram.gif

And doing all this time one month after the hurrcane hit my hearing droped rappidly to 80. and now its near 100-110 however i can still hear things like forks or spoons droping microwave door shut sometimes toilet seat hit. And i can hear radio mumbling at full blast. Now i hope yall get the idea now how im hearing.

Last edited:
DeafSCUBA98 said:
yes you can still quilitify for CI.. as long ur cochlea fluids, ur cochlea is in good shape not closed and ur audiorty nerves are alive.

erm.. my cochleas doesnt have fluids in them.. but CI still works for me o.O

VamPyroX said:
That's something I don't know an answer to. I can hear pretty well myself, but I can't always understand the words the lyrics when I listen to music.

But, could you distinguish some branchs of music?

I would like you explain to me on the music. (yours impressions)

Thanks. ;)

Ravensteve,
Sorry to hear about your sudden loss, I am curious to how your doctor diagnosis what has happened to you.

Not to be nosy, but .. do you think you REALLY deserve that 5 million dollars?

Last I read you were working at a movie theater. I would assume you wouldn't make $5,000,000 within 100 years at the Theater.

However, good luck in your CI endeavor.

Back