Telecoil

plasticdinosaur

Reaction score
So I got on the bus this morning to go grocery shopping listening to music with telecoil hooks and my aids on T. The bus started going and suddenly there was this loud, high pitched whinging. After a few moments, I realized the noise coincided with the movement of the bus. Like, when we sped up it got louder, and when we stopped if got softer. No matter how low or high I turned the volume, the noise was the same volume. Wtf is this? Anyone else ever had this happen to them in any way?

something simliar happened 2 me with my Oticon Gaia when the T-coil is used and there's buzzing sound which I hated.
with my old hearing aid on, I had to press the speaker button on my phone in order to talk to someone on my phone.

maybe you forgot to turn off the T-coil mode? LOL
I think you should speak with audi about that since there might be techinal diffcultes or maybe the answer's is in the manual :)

No, it was playing -over- the music on my T-coil, like, I had t-coil headphones on and it was really loud over the music. It only happens on the bus.

There has to be some electrical field on the bus interfering.

yeah definitely an electrical field on the bus. I've experienced the same thing in the past when riding a school bus and trying to listen to music on my Disc-man via telecoil. Sometimes I hear it just driving my own car when using telecoil too! Nothing you can do about it really.

Yes, always! That's why I gave up on Tcoils and got DAI leads. Engines, computers, microwaves, there are too many things that interfere. Here all the taxi cabs have Tcoil in them and nobody seems to have realised they only work when the cab is parked up with the engine switched off, as the rest of the time the engine noise leaks out. Also beware of hidden security systems, there used to be one in our local library that shot a piercing noise out at you over Tcoil when you were leaving and nobody else knew it was doing it. The information desk is right nearby with their big sign saying we have a loop system - again unusable.

It's the bus electrical system causing interference, happens on any bus I've ever been on, it also happens in my car, trains tend to be better!

Don't even bother trying to use telecoil on a plane... now that is just HORRIBLE to listen to!

It was just really loud, louder than any of the other buses I had been on listening to music. And right after I read it in a post here, I got zapped by a theft security thing at the library. I yelped really loudly and everyone looked at me like I was nuts. I can't imagine an airplane! Shudder! Thanks for all the info!

you're welcome and don't forget to bring up the telecoil thing with the audi at your next appointment!!!

all security machines at the library and stores always interferes with my hearing aid when I have it on telecoil (I go out a lot with my ipod). I run into this issue often haha.

Telecoil use

Comments about electrical field is right on.
You may have been sitting right next to some electrical wiring that was creating a field that your T-coil was picking up. If you move your seating position, you could get out of the field and not hear it any longer. The center seat may or may not be better than a window seat. Also left and right side may be better or worse.

Anything with electricity has the potential to interfere with T-coil reception. Cell phones and Cordless phones can create buzzing also. I have found flip type cell phones are better for me.

Try this trick. Turn on your T-coil and try leaning up against a wall directly above wall switches. You might hear the electrical magnetic field from the wires. This may change if the lights are on or off.

Older CRT computer monitors can to the exact same thing. I think it is the power supply but could be the aiming coil too.

Nothing is wrong with your T-coil, just another unique hearing opportunity we have when using HA, CI's, T-coils, etc.

Back