Telecoil and interference

DarrenD

Reaction score
Does anyone have severe interference from the wiring in buildings, machines, computers, etc., when you switch the Tcoil on? I can't even hold a decent conversation with my Sumo aids. When the volume goes up so does all the electrical noise.

I don't remember this happening with my analog aids. My other digital aids were Widex Divas and the noise was present, but not as bad as the Sumos. More of a hum than the static. Still aggravating, though. Is this normal for digital aids??

I've always experienced the interference with the Telecoil on all of the hearing aids I've had, analogs and digital.

Thanks for the reply. It's also bad in some cars, my Matrix included. Drives me insane when I can't communicate. I use the Artone neckloop and it's great, but the background hum from electrical sources around me has me despairing.

yes with some cars will give more interference due to more controlling electronics radiating more electric fields. Older cars may have not much interference. I usually do not get much interference in buildings but it can happen when there is large amount of current flowing in the walls wiring or there is low overhead florescent lights or dimmers controls that can cause more hum. If your hearing aids have a separate frequency equalizer control for the T-coil it may be possible to cut some of the interference down. With my high power desktop computer I am not getting any interference from it or my house. Knock on wood but I can understand your situation.

My house was built in the 50s, so the wiring is basically unsheilded and asbestos wrapped. Awful, awful staticy buzzing. But I never had it with the analogs.

I didn't know about separate equalizer for the Tcoil, so I'll ask my audi about that when I go in two weeks.

Thanks!

DarrenD,

On my Phonak Supero hearing aid I have noise reduction turn on for the T-coil program which helps. I like to point out on my pervious post I have no idea what hearing aids you have. The only time I had a problem with my house that was built in the late 70's was a wall dimmer that did cause a lot noise because of the hash being put back on the line. I got rid of it. My house is built in the late 70's I Some aids may have a 60hz hum filter but I have not hear it to be much help. Some T-coils are more sensitive which in turn pick up more interference. I use T-coil at work with a induction loop for the phone so that both my CI and my hearing aid on the other ear can hear the phone at the same time with no sound being pick up in the room. Second I use the T-coil with my Sony Woodman MP3 player. I do not use the music hooks but a induction plate behind my ears and that gives a much better signal strength that the "music links" that are advertised.

Oh yea, alot of times I have felt radio interferences with my Sumo. I think there are three programs, if you put on M2 (Microphone plus Telecoil) you feel it less disturbing. I guess thats how Telecoils work!

HA Interference..

I wear Starkey J13 Cierra BTE's which is M/T cell compatible. When in T-coil I find that in certain situations I'll get some interference with my PanTech c520 Breeze cell phone.. but not so bad that it causes problems. Overall I don't find it to be that much of a problem considering how bad my hearing is.

Shi-Ku Chishiki ShiKu.Chishiki@Gmail.com

Last edited:
Telecoil Interference in Car from Auto Headlight Sensor

When using the Telecoil setting inside my 2008 Honda Accord I got a buzzing interference sound so loud that I couldn’t use a cell phone. After some experimentation, I figured out that the major culprit – by far - was the sensor that controls the automatic headlight feature (causes the lights go on at night or in a tunnel, etc.).

When the headlights are OFF (and the ignition key is on, but the engine not necessarily running), I get the buzz interference, even if the headlight ‘auto’ switch setting is not selected, presumably because the sensor is always active.

When the headlights are ON, whether because of a manual ‘on’ setting or an ‘auto’ setting sensor activation, the buzzing stops and there’s very little interference.

Back