Teaching hearies ASL

KittenEyez05

Reaction score
Wirelessly posted

Hi! I am wanting to start transitioning to being mostly voice off. Many of the hearing people in my life are supportive of this, and want to learn ASL. Just goes to show how blessed I am with such amazing people in my life!
I'm looking for any advice on helping then learn ASL and keeping them motivated. Ideas? Thanks!

Hello,I am very happy you interesting ASL :) I am supportive I am very ASL
you search find lots of interesting love on asl :) !

Wirelessly posted

I already know ASL. I'm deaf. I want tips on how to support and motivate my friends/family to learn it.

I would surmise to learn learn ASL one must attend Intro ASL and purchase ASL textbooks.

American Sign Language: the Easy Way David D Stewart Barrons
Signing: How to speak with your hands Elaine Costello
Signing made Easy Butterworth & Flodin. Plus more from the public library.

Computers have sites.

Plus lots of practice with persons who actually use ASL

I would surmise to learn learn ASL one must attend Intro ASL and purchase ASL textbooks.

American Sign Language: the Easy Way David D Stewart Barrons
Signing: How to speak with your hands Elaine Costello
Signing made Easy Butterworth & Flodin. Plus more from the public library.

Computers have sites.

Plus lots of practice with persons who actually use ASL

Really? You don't think KittenEyez05 is capable of teaching them? Or anybody else who knows ASL? Do CODA's have to attend Intro ASL?

KittenEyez05, I'm a late-deafened "hearie" learning ASL at our local School for the Deaf. Since I do not interact with deaf (except at the school), I am not motivated, at this time, to become efficient at it. I'm taking the classes so that I have some background in it should I become totally deaf, and for some reason cannot get a CI or whatever is "out there" at that time to enable me to hear/understand speech.

Since you're talking about your family & friends, I think, being voice off as much as possible with them will motivate them.

While I'm not fluent in ASL, I have to agree with the other poster, there is a difference in learning to communicate with only one person and learning to communicate with many persons. There are so many things to learn about any language you can't possibly do it without some training.

I'd suggest having the people around you take some basic ASL classes. And, if you go totally voice off the learning curve would be staggering from someone with no knowledge of ASL.

While I'm not fluent in ASL, I have to agree with the other poster, there is a difference in learning to communicate with only one person and learning to communicate with many persons. There are so many things to learn about any language you can't possibly do it without some training.

I'd suggest having the people around you take some basic ASL classes. And, if you go totally voice off the learning curve would be staggering from someone with no knowledge of ASL.

I agree that a class would be helpful. But was just saying that it wasn't "required" as the other poster implied. If they took the classes and KittenEyez05 was voice-off as much as possible, that would help them pick up on it a lot quicker (than like for myself who's not around fluent ASL users - though my daughter is taking the class with me and we sometimes use it).

Love Blue why did KittenEyesoz5 write post 3 if already known? It seems an "inference" not teaching/ motivating "friends" to become "voice off".

Wirelessly posted

wow, I haven't been on in a while. Thanks for the insight LoveBlue. I can teach them, I think the problem is that they are so used to me voicing for them, they don\t really see the need to learn any sign for me. I was hoping if I found some ways to make it interesting and fun, they would be more willing to try.

I use the vocabulary lists and sentences at lifeprint.com and make bingo games with them for our 'sign club.' As the members get more proficient, they take turns signing for the rest of us. Don't know if that's the sort of thing you mean.
I also look for ASL song videos that have at least some of the vocabulary words we're learning.

Try and think of some ordinary everyday phrases you use a lot... things like offering someone a drink, what time dinner is, what time they are home from work, I am going to the store, etc. Make it a rule that if you know the signs for something you sign it instead of saying it, and slowly expand the number of things you know how to say.

Fingerspelling is also very important as I often find I'm a word or two short of being able to make a sentence, so being able to ask 'HOW SIGN (fingerspelled word)' both gives fingerspelling practice and helps you learn even more without needing to speak. Knowing 'AGAIN' and 'SLOW PLEASE!' important too!

Wirelessly posted

Thanks Metalangel. I printed out pages with the alphabet and to help them remember the letters and sent them a playlist of asl interpreted music.

There are also a few ASL/Sign games available - check DawnSignPress and GarlicPress

Here are the games I've used:

Funbrain.com Sign the Alphabet (for kids, but still teaches you the alphabet)

Dr. Bill Vicars' American Sign Language (ASL) Fingerspelling Practice Site Now you know the alphabet, Dr. Bill will see how well you can recognize it when it's being used to fingerspell.

American Sign Language ASL, Dr. Bill will also teach you to count!

I play the latter two at work whenever it's quiet, I can do words on slow or medium and 1-1000 numbers on fast or Deaf (depending on how awake I am).

My family and I are in the process of learning ASL for the benefit of my sister. I've found these sites (in addition to the ones already mentioned) to be very helpful in learning and practicing ASL. We are also taking beginner classes once a week at a school, but these are great for at home instruction and practice in between class.

• ASL • American Sign Language (amazing site)
Signing Savvy | ASL Sign Language Video Dictionary
Sign language - ASL dictionary, baby talk + more

There are also quite a few really great Ipad, Iphone, and Ipod Touch apps that are helpful learning basic phrases, learning how to fingerspell, or for practice.

Hey, My suggestion is to turn your voice off and start only signing to people they will pick up that you are serious and they can learn that way too, that is how I learned my sign teacher was voice off hard of hearing and did not wear hearing aids. I walked into the class knowing no sign what so ever and walked out being able to have conversations in the deaf community. She made us sign to her if we didn't know the sign for it we had to act it out or finger spell it and she would give us the sign for it and make us use it in a sentence.

Back