Teaching children sign language!

locochicko

Reaction score
Hiya all,

I was offered to teach children sign language at the last minutes. I thought I can post this thread here because I am sure you all have lots of experience teaching children sign language.

I wanted to make some activities more fun, educational and useful. I already covered the holidays (xmas, easter etc in whole year) numbers, A-Z etc.

I would like to see your tips!

It will be my first time to teach children sign language! They can be deaf whom have hearing parents, and hearing have deaf parents.

I look forward to the posts! =D

Chicko x

Can you tell us more about your signing skills, and what your school activity is about?

Are you teaching at a deaf school or hearing school?

Hummm-

Common items
Animals
Wants/Needs
Weather
Numbers 1-100, or 1-upper limit of counting of the kids

And Ditto on NaisHo 's questions.

Last edited:
Little kids love "knock, knock" and "why did the chicken cross the road" jokes.

Perhaps those type of jokes could be worked into the lessons? You could sign some and than later the little kids could sign them to each other after they learned a few.

ETA: I just realized that you didn't actually tell us how old the children are. If they are older you could probably do the same thing with more sophisticated jokes and funny stories.

Perhaps those type of jokes could be worked into the lessons? You could sign some and than later the little kids could sign them to each other after they learned a few.

+2

Or "What would happen if..." games

What would happen if- a tiger learned to dance?

(any really odd thing)

Can you tell us more about your signing skills, and what your school activity is about?

Are you teaching at a deaf school or hearing school?

Well I am teaching children at Deaf Club so more like informal education.

I was told by my boss that it can be cover in everyday life like food and drink, colour and holidays (christmas, easter etc)..

Hummm-

Common items
Animals
Wants/Needs
Weather
Numbers 1-100, or 1-upper limit of counting of the kids

And Ditto on NaisHo 's questions.

Thanks! I will add that to my research and look for pictures with signing on it.
:ty:

ETA: I just realized that you didn't actually tell us how old the children are. If they are older you could probably do the same thing with more sophisticated jokes and funny stories.

Sorry! the ages could be range from 4 to 11. It is new group for kids while their parents are taking lessons of British Sign Language.

Sorry! the ages could be range from 4 to 11. It is new group for kids while their parents are taking lessons of British Sign Language.

Wow. I'm not an expert on kids -- but I would guess that's a tough range of ages to come up with something that would work for all of them.
Wouldn't it take longer for the 4 year olds to understand something than the 11 year olds? And I would guess their attention span would be shorter too.

I would guess your best bet would be jokes, short stories and maybe signing some holiday songs.

ETA: I guess you could spend part of the time playing games in sign also like "Mother May I" and "Simon Says". Those games are probably a little young for the older kids but maybe they would be willing to play because it's another way to learn sign. Or perhaps they could be told they are asst. coaches for the younger kids.

Back