Teaching a beginning ASL class.

matlinfan1991

Reaction score
Any suggestions as to what I should teach? I'm having a good Deaf friend of mine help me out. But I was just wondering what you all think would be appropriate. It is only going to be a 4-5 hour class. So I don't have long. Thanks!

Would it be taken place at church, school, nursing home, etc?

Have you taken all the Deaf Culture and ASL Linguistics classes?

To teach ASL, one does need to know the linguistics, classifiers and so on too as well.

It's a just for fun class. I did some research on Deaf culture (and I know the classifiers) and like I said before, one of my really close Deaf friends is coming and can help me out with anything she feels like I missed. The class is going to be at my house! :giggle: And free of charge.

Have you taken all the Deaf Culture and ASL Linguistics classes?

To teach ASL, one does need to know the linguistics, classifiers and so on too as well.

I should take deaf culture and ASL linguistice for my own benefit. I am told that those are important.

I should take deaf culture and ASL linguistice for my own benefit. I am told that those are important.

Believe me they are very important to learn about, not only for your own personal growth but to teach other people as well.

Believe me they are very important to learn about, not only for your own personal growth but to teach other people as well.

exaclty why i need to take courses. In fact, there are a few hearing peeps asking me to teach them which i dont mind but i m not planning to be an asl teacher. NAH. just give some tips for them and mine too.

frisky, i thought you knew all that stuff already :confused:

Mrs bucket, help me out how to explain to ccsinned. :giggle: yes i grew up in deaf world. but i m not a teacher that suppose to know deaf culture and linguistics to teach people. I may know a lot about deaf culture but sometimes i grow up with it without realizing it. That's what i need to be aware what deaf culture/linguistics therefore i will be able to explain to others better.

mrs bucket, do you follow what i am saying? thanks!

you and oddball are like the first deaf people i ever communicated with face to face

Mrs bucket, help me out how to explain to ccsinned. :giggle: yes i grew up in deaf world. but i m not a teacher that suppose to know deaf culture and linguistics to teach people. I may know a lot about deaf culture but sometimes i grow up with it without realizing it. That's what i need to be aware what deaf culture/linguistics therefore i will be able to explain to others better.

mrs bucket, do you follow what i am saying? thanks!

Oh I totally understand you Frisky, smile.

Each Culturally Deaf person that grows up in Deaf Culture does have the concept of Deaf Culture and ASL linguistics down pat. Frisky knows Deaf Culture and ASL linguistics because she went to Gallaudet.

Each deaf person is different, CC. To be able to teach ASL, you have to take all 6 courses that involves in Deaf Culture, ASL Linguistics, ASL classifiers and so on. Most Deaf people already know them but needs to be tested and have their certification.

I have all my 6 certifications so I am able to teach ASL and give lectures as well. I chose to go to GBC and take the ALIP program for my own personal growth just like Frisky wants to have those for her own personal growth.

I admire Frisky for wanting to pursue the courses when most Deaf people think they are good enough just being Deaf to teach.

Does anybody know about Baylor University's Deaf Education program? I'm at a community college right now but plan to transfer after a year or two. I've heard it's one of the best in the country. Hope it's true!

Oh I totally understand you Frisky, smile.

Each Culturally Deaf person that grows up in Deaf Culture does have the concept of Deaf Culture and ASL linguistics down pat. Frisky knows Deaf Culture and ASL linguistics because she went to Gallaudet.

Each deaf person is different, CC. To be able to teach ASL, you have to take all 6 courses that involves in Deaf Culture, ASL Linguistics, ASL classifiers and so on. Most Deaf people already know them but needs to be tested and have their certification.

I have all my 6 certifications so I am able to teach ASL and give lectures as well. I chose to go to GBC and take the ALIP program for my own personal growth just like Frisky wants to have those for her own personal growth.

I admire Frisky for wanting to pursue the courses when most Deaf people think they are good enough just being Deaf to teach.

I agree with you and Frisky. I dont think I could be a good Deaf Ed teacher without all of my Linguistics, Deaf Culture, and Language Acquistion classes.

That's why I feel people who think they know it all about Deaf Education or ASL instructions without the background do not really understand.

Oh, I'm not saying that I'm not taking them. They're required for my major. I'll definitely take them. That conversation actually had nothing to do with me :giggle:

Wow, you are brave matlinfan1991, I have had six levels and doing ASL Apps(Levels 7-8&9) this fall, SSP for Deaf/Deaf-Blind.
I wouldn't consider opening a class and trying to teach.

Wow, you are brave matlinfan1991, I have had six levels and doing ASL Apps(Levels 7-8&9) this fall, SSP for Deaf/Deaf-Blind.
I wouldn't consider opening a class and trying to teach.

The thing is, I'm not really "opening" a class. I know everyone that is coming personally and I'm getting help from a Deaf friend. She actually persuaded me to do it. It should be fun! :)

ASL vocabulary for the class. Should I add anything else? Keep in mind, I only have three hours. And 30 minutes of that will be spent watching "Through Deaf Eyes". So I guess it's really 2.5 hours.

FAMILY:
MOM
DAD
BROTHER
SISTER
AUNT
UNCLE
COUSIN (male/female)
GRANDMA
GRANDPA
DAUGHTER
SON

TIME:
MINUTE
HOUR
DAY
WEEK
MONTH
YEAR
MORNING
AFTERNOON
EVENING
SUNDAY – SATURDAY

QUESTIONS:
WHO
WHAT
WHEN
WHERE
WHY
HOW

INTRODUCTION/ CONVERSATION:
I/ME
YOU
WE/US
SIGN (LANGUAGE)
AGAIN
UNDERSTAND
OH-I-SEE
PLEASE
THANK YOU
GOOD
BAD
FINE
SICK
TIRED
NAME
HAVE
YES
NO
NICE
MEET
DEAF
HEARING
TEACH
LEARN
STUDENT
SCHOOL
CLASS
NOT/DON’T/DOESN’T/WON’T
KNOW/DON'T KNOW
RIGHT/CORRECT
FINGERSPELL

OTHER EVERYDAY SIGNS:
WHICH
SAME
DIFFERENT
WRITE
COPY
PAPER
WAIT
SEE
NUMBER
MAN
WOMAN
BOY
GIRL
REMEMBER
FORGET
CHAIR
SIT
LEAVE/OUTSIDE
DOOR
LIGHT
RESTROOM
THINK
LATE
:ty:

Good question to ask... do you think your class can master the vocabulary in a class after they have seen the movie?

They may have questions to ask you after seeing "Through Deaf Eyes" ie why Deaf people have this A.G. Bell agenda? Eugenics and its history, Helen Keller and her marriage with A.G. Bell and so on.

This is where I bring up the importance of taking classes before you teach.

One needs to be educated before one teaches.

Back