Teachers of Deaf in Rhode Island Warned

Sosie

Reaction score
Every teacher at the Rhode Island School for the Deaf faces possible unemployment at the end of the school year. They all received warnings that unless they demonstrated competency in their subject areas, they would be let go.

WARWICK, R.I. -- The entire faculty of the Rhode Island School for the Deaf -- about 35 teachers -- has been put on notice that they will be laid off at the end of the school year if they do not meet the professional qualifications required by the federal No Child Left Behind Act.

For many years, the state has required a certification for teachers of students who are deaf and hard of hearing, a certificate that emphasizes special skills in communication but does not address particular areas of academic study.

But the No Child Left Behind Act, enacted in 2002, requires certified teachers to have expertise in the content areas in which they teach, whether it be English, math, history, or the sciences.

The layoff notices were approved reluctantly Tuesday night by the Board of Trustees of the state-run school.

Their approval set the stage for a comprehensive review of personnel qualifications in light of a June 1 deadline imposed by the state Commissioner of Education for a new staffing plan that ensures all students are taught by "fully certified and highly qualified" teachers as required by the federal law.

Wow.... and the government is worried about the high unemployment rate?? I dont know if the teachers being laid off is a good thing or a bad thing, given their methods of teaching, but surely all 35 of them couldnt have been that bad.

I'm in Maine; we had a deaf school down south but it got closed down due to various reasons.

It's a good thing is that all teachers got pink slips because they were not doing a good job at teaching!
By the way, welcome to Alldeaf Forum, Jaxim72! :)
I am in Massachusetts.
(It's 2 hours 43 mins away from your hometown!)

It's a good thing is that all teachers got pink slips because they were not doing a good job at teaching!
I am in Massachusetts.

Not doing a great job simply because they dont have the creditials to meet NCLB's criteria or did you go in their classrooms and observe all of them teaching?

I am in Massachusetts.

Hey Sosie, thanks! It's a bit " quiet " up here in the New England States :P lol.. the " quiet " comment, no pun intended.. i just realized what I just said....

Back