Teacher for the Deaf

HelloKittyGal

Reaction score
I posted this in another forum, but no on seems to know the answer....I guess.

Anyway, does anyone know what degree I need to become a teacher for the deaf? I mean, I would like exposure to all kinds of deafness. Could be a school for the deaf or oralism school or whatever. That way I can experience all and see where my interests are.

I would love to teach Deaf people to write and read better. No matter what their age. Would I need an English degree?

Anyone know what degrees I might need? What signs do I need to be fluent in? ASL, Pidgin, SEE?

Anyone know where to find these informations?

Um... where did you post it? I don't remember seeing it.

To answer your question, simply find a college that gives teaching degrees. RIT has one of the called MSSE. It's a 2-year program given after you get your bachelors degree.

You can also contact Deaf residential schools and public schools with mainstream programs for the deaf and hoh, and ask what their requirements are for teachers. Different schools and different states have different requirements.

Bachelor's Degree?! Man, do I want that? I don't think so LOL. Eventually, yes, but just to get into a deaf school teaching? Come one really? Anyway, but VamPyrox, I meant in the other forum, not this one. No one answered it, so I thought about posting it here. I can't type the forum name as you know it will be bleeped out.

Reba, what if I want to move to another state...who knows where? I'd like something stable. If it is different a little, then I guess it's not bad.

I just wonder what degrees are they that would allow teaching. I guess that I will try contacting some deaf schools.

Dont think they'd let u teach without a formal college degree especially for res school.. dont think the standards are that low ;) I do hear they hire residential educators, as they call those.. houseparents without any certification. But yeah, it wont hurt to ask around about the teaching requirements either.Thats smart.

There are two ways to teach- you can get masters in a particular major (such as math, science, english etc) and still get to teach. Another is to major in Education, specializing in any of these fields. If there is another way cirumventing these, I would be surprised.

Last edited:
Plus, its likely that you'll get a higher pay with bachelor, and even more with masters in education. Good luck in your endeavors!

Oh.. how about substitute teaching? I remma we got regulars who'd sub for the teachers. Dont think they got formal teaching degrees...

Last edited:
My youngest sister is a teacher, and I will talk to her about what you need to do to become a teacher for the Deaf.... ;)

Bachelor's Degree??.... My sister didn't take no bachelor's degree in order to become a teacher but I will ask her to be sure of it....

Texas Women Universtiy does take teaching for the deaf. Yes, you have take cerfiticed to PhD, If you want more. Mostly my friends stopped on Master because they feel satisfic with it. Some would take certifited to teach kids and ofc have sub over the USA, you can ask for. :)

you wouldn't need as much exp here in Az as you would in other states, very low requierments here

bbnt said:
you wouldn't need as much exp here in Az as you would in other states, very low requierments here
That would explain the low intelligence level there! ;)

I live in a state that is at the bottom of the educational barrel, and even here they require a bachelor's degree for teaching. I know some people with bachelor's and master's degrees who weren't allowed to teach until they also acquired certain "education" courses. That is, you could have a master's degree in physics but if you didn't take a course in "how to teach restless kids", you can't teach middle school science.

HKG, Going to Gally or NTID would give you an edge in this field as they are always looking for TODs who are fluent in Sign.
What signs do I need to be fluent in? ASL, Pidgin, SEE?
One of my favorite books on deafness "The Silent Garden" gives this advice to future TODs..."Be fluent in ALL communicative options offered to deaf and hard of hearing children." (which means oral, ASL, PSE, SEE and Cued Speech)

a few people i know work as teacher assistant without a degree but they had at least college experience or any type of job experiences such as summer camp counselor, etc. i think you can become a teacher assistant, all you need to spice up your story that you love to work with children, become a role model and a teacher.

ive thought about doing that but not at this school near where i live because it has terrible education system (i was a student there for a year) and my sister once worked there was very unhappy. it didnt pay well and teachers werent doing what they supposed to do. i suggest you to visit schools first, or ask around before you apply.

Oh and HKG, if you really want to make a difference, I'd advise you to work with the TCers or the students at deaf schools. These are the ones who REALLY need good quality teachers and who really need help, since they are the population that falls through the cracks the most. It's sort of like the reason why my sister is teaching in an inner city school instead of in a suburban high acheiver school. Oral schools tend to have incredibly hyperinvolved parents, and it can get kinda superfical.

don't be surprised.. for the state of Minnesota.. the requirements is Bachlor's degree in education ( for general).. but for special education you will need to have master's degree in education. to have a teaching license.. too much? LOL that's minnesota.. however education in minnestoa is in top 5 in education levels for math, reading :D

Pretty much in every state to become a teacher for the deaf and hard of hearing, one must have bachelor's degree and sometimes masters. In each state, a certain kind of certification is required from the board of education of whatever state you are interested in teaching. NY State in my opinion is the best place to obtain the degree and then NYSTCE certfication. The best part of NYSTC certification is that it is interchangable in at least 47 states all over the country. Meaning if you have this certification, you can use it to teach in other states. If you have certification, let's say in Iowa, you might be only able to use that certificiation to teach in 2 other states. Do I make sense?

You're better off getting a degree for teaching. I wouldn't want a degree-less teacher teaching my kids.

Being a teacher's assistant requires no degree(s). It may require one to attend workshops such as SAVE (child abuse reporting seminar) and/or other workshops.

I guess I am looking for something to start minimally, rather than going into years of schooling before teaching anything, you know?

I guess, it looks like a Bachelor's degree is the maximum needed and maybe a certification. I would not know about special education yet. I'll explore more.

I understand about wanting a teacher fully qualified. I think that is very important. I won't go into teaching without any degree or certification. I don't want to add to the bad teachers in the schools.

Oral schools tend to have incredibly hyperinvolved parents, and it can get kinda superfical.

What do you mean? I remember my tutor saying some parents were wanting things, but I think that is very important. I have seen my tutor and interpreters wanting to do only the requirements. I think that's bad. Parent's involvement is really good. I have had a teacher who did my homework! She did not want to hear of it when my mom tried to tell her not to do that. She continued anyway. That's bad! I had another who tried to do the same.

I don't trust some of the teachers for the deaf or hearing impaired. They tend to get fed up with "extra work" in deaf children. I just think that if they have the heart and not care for that, then deal with it.

it didnt pay well and teachers werent doing what they supposed to do. i suggest you to visit schools first, or ask around before you apply.

Psst...you could have stayed and did your best, then become principal to better the school system. Watcha think? he he he.

Back