Tap Tap...this thing on?

Quit tapping! Sing please! :lol:

Long time

Welcome back! I watched an old NYPD Blue video last night. I'm not online much but there's a Deaf cop from New Orleans here on AD. Maybe you two could trade 'war stories'. Wish I could remmy her ID. Don't know which is worse -- gray hairs or brain farts.

Welcome back! I watched an old NYPD Blue video last night. I'm not online much but there's a Deaf cop from New Orleans here on AD. Maybe you two could trade 'war stories'. Wish I could remmy her ID. Don't know which is worse -- gray hairs or brain farts.

DeputySusie?

Thanks Tousi. Getting older is so MUCH fun. I wonder what's going to happen in my fifties. :scratch:

Welcome Back
mwp43s.jpg

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I don't know you even if I was here in 2006. Glad you are back. I hope you continue to read and post all the threads here. Have fun with us. See you around. :wave:

TV questions

Taylor,

Since we're both NYPD Blue fans, I have a question for you. How realistic is it for someone to go from detective to SGT to LT in just a couple of years like Sipowitz during the last season? Which cop show do you think comes closest to getting it right? Hope you stick around for a few. Take care.

John, It all depends on the agency. It takes awhile to go from a patrol officer and make their way up through the ranks. In my agency, most detectives have several years on...typically 5+ before moved over to detective. The larger the agency (such as NYPD) offers many more opportunities so it is possible for somebody to become a detective in a shorter time.

Often times, larger agencies will have various parts of the agency with their own detectives. For example, many agencies will have a Burglary Unit, Auto Theft Unit, Robbery Unit...and each of these may have their own detectives. So, an officer could do a couple of years on the street and end up as a burglary detective. After some time working burglaries, they may make their way up to violent crimes and then eventually homicides. Each agency is different.

Detective should not be confused with rank...For example, one could be a Sgt in Patrol or be a Sgt as a detective. Or, an officer could be on the street in patrol or working as a detective. Many of our narcotics detectives still hold the rank of officer. Becoming a LT would be the next step after Sgt. Andy could have been a Sgt as a detective and moved up one rank to Lt in just a few years. There are a lot of variables on getting promoted when it comes to rank.

As for realism, NYPD Blue is not realistic at all....When it first came out in 1993, it was probably the most realistic show on TV because it shows investigations and interpersonal relationships. Over the years, many more shows came along but NYPD Blue remains one of my favorites (the older episodes anyway).

IMO, the most realistic show that is a drama style would be The Wire. Although not real, it shows a lot of what happens on the streets of Baltimore. Again, most is fake but when it comes to TV Drama, it would be the most realistic. If you want REAL investigations for homicides, check out The First 48. Those are real detectives working real cases.

Read books?

Thanks for the info. Have you ever read Jeffrey Deaver or Patricia Cornwell's books? I love reading them during my 12-hour weekend shifts. Lincoln Rhymes and Kay Scarpetta are 21st century versions of Sherlock Holmes.

Deaver's The Bone Collector was made into a movie a few years ago with Denzel Washington and Angelina Jolie. I'm suprised they haven't made more into movies. I'd go see them.

Back