Talk about your experience being deaf...

For a Deaf person or HOH person who preferred ASL to make the presentation about what it is like to be Deaf. The word for "translator" is being frown by the Deaf community. We use the word "interpreter" much better than the word "translator". An ASL interpreter can speak orally to the audience on what the speaker is saying in ASL. If someone in the audience ask questions, then the ASL interpreter will tell the speaker what the person in the audience was asking or make comments about being Deaf.

Yeah, well I was born and raised Deaf, and I still call them translators or terps. I don't really care who gets pi**ed off because I call it what I call it. I don't really give a s**t who gets offended. Everyone is so easily offended now a days, I refuse to change my vocabulary to make people less butt hurt because they're overly sensitive. It's not like I am late deafened or anything, I was born this way, and again... I'll call it whatever I call it as I see fit. If you live your life trying to please everyone you're going to have a sad life. Like I said, I really don't care if people get offended by me saying translator. Essentially, they are translating what I am signing.... same.... thing.

I used to work in theater, and performing comes second nature to me, and if I was asked to share my experiences abour being deaf, I would at least try to agree on the subjects to be discussed, so there's no uncomfortable moments, and the experience is a comfortable one and at the same time, pleasurable for the students. I would even go so far to make a list and agree on what's to be talked about. As for performing, I am trained to ignore distractions, and that's easy to do with my level of experience.

Yeah, well I was born and raised Deaf, and I still call them translators or terps. I don't really care who gets pi**ed off because I call it what I call it. I don't really give a s**t who gets offended. Everyone is so easily offended now a days, I refuse to change my vocabulary to make people less butt hurt because they're overly sensitive. It's not like I am late deafened or anything, I was born this way, and again... I'll call it whatever I call it as I see fit. If you live your life trying to please everyone you're going to have a sad life. Like I said, I really don't care if people get offended by me saying translator. Essentially, they are translating what I am signing.... same.... thing.

From my witness, :D Deaf oral tends to use the term for translator than Deaf ASL user who uses the term. Weird. :lol:

Wirelessly posted

More often than not I'll call them a terp, however in my work experiences people will come to me or say we need someone to call a translator or that they need a translator. ( Spanish, French, ASL or whatever. ) So, I end up spitting out both sometimes. If a terp were offended by being called that, of course I'd apologize and address them how they wanted... other than that, meh.

Wirelessly posted

More often than not I'll call them a terp, however in my work experiences people will come to me or say we need someone to call a translator or that they need a translator. ( Spanish, French, ASL or whatever. ) So, I end up spitting out both sometimes. If a terp were offended by being called that, of course I'd apologize and address them how they wanted... other than that, meh.

True In my office, they do use the term "translator" for diversed people who needs it.

Wirelessly posted

Frisky Feline said:
Wirelessly posted

True In my office, they do use the term "translator" for diversed people who needs it.

Habits rub off. :|

Wirelessly posted

im abit like this too, they seem too polite to say 'i dont like called a terp' well...id never know unless they say...

Back