Taking your own earmold impression?

Thank you Jazzberry, AlleyCat, and Botti!

Don't you need a tiny bit bigger every time, though,
hence making the new impression from your old ones might be not such a great idea at all?

Fuzzy

Don't you need a tiny bit bigger every time, though,
hence making the new impression from your old ones might be not such a great idea at all?

Fuzzy

I wish there was some easy way to dip the old ear mold into something to just make it slightly larger. I think that would be all that's necc. most of the time to deal with the shrinkage.

If you get 4 ear molds made per year in NYC -- that's $360.00.

Ouchie.

Is that how often you have to make yours? 2x a year?

Still, $360 is a LOT !! :(

I have mine made every couple of years, and it's about $120 for both, give or take.

I find that changing the tubing frequently (every few months before they get rock hard!) really helps with feedback issues more than actually replacing the earmold.

Optimally. My current pair is about 6 months old and its still OK though.

I got them made at a different place so maybe there manufacturer uses different quality plastics? And that resulted in slower shrinkage over time? :dunno:

I also don't know how much other places charge -- maybe the last place I asked just gave me a high price.

In a crunch I have picked up the foam ear plugs at a drug store and just stick tubing in them and used those for awhile. It works but not as well as the ear molds. The size of the bore, vent and how deeply the ear mold goes into the ear canal -- all three things affect the decibel levels of various frequencies.

ETA: I agree -- changing the tubing before they get hard helps too.

I have gone through a variety of different types of earmolds over the years - hard, soft, small (not completely filling the ear), and fully filling the ear. And, of all those, I ALWAYS got feedback. So frustrated with it. That was what made me do a hunt for a new audi and I tried out several before I landed upon the one I have (through a friend's referral) and I adore her -- she made the best-fitting earmolds I've ever had. NO feedback! I have had them about 15 months now, and have replaced the tubing several times.

I chickened out and ended up getting my aud. To do my new ear mold. But I did talk to the place that sells kits. They give a warranty on them and promise a fit or money back and she explained how easy it is to do your own impression, but also said it is easier with two hands and to have family help. Maybe someday I will try it....
For now..my new ear mold should be In soon!

Back