Table manners....eating in or out....

Yo Adamsmomma, give me Adam, i'll take care of him...

i've been working with MANY special needs kids and it is TOUGH to crack, yes, i know. I THINK i can CRACK his meltdowns when it is comes.

I remember that i have one student have same as your son have. One student is 6th grade is what your son have is TOUGH to crack until winter time, i discovered how to CRACK him down. A student calm instantly after I gave him a something to keep him busy what he is REALLY likes- coloring books. I tried give him a isolate desk, not work..gave him isolate with one assistant, not work...told him no rewards/computer time..not work and it is worse. I ALMOST gave up, went home and called my old teacher in back in elementary days (mainstream). We had talk for almost two hours, decided to do something different. In next morning,he was UPSET over a little thing happened before school start...i decided to ignore him and teaching, it has been continuing. I dont even want to page Adjustment Teacher, i want to do it myself. I decided told him to go to drink from water foundation, got upset, i told him take a short nap, upset...i told him to get coloring books and color it.. guess what? he smiled and did it.

after that, ever since, it is worked. HAVE to find something that will makes him happy and focus at one subject that will keep him occupied.

he's on the next flight!!! Would just like him back eventually :D :D LOL Yeah discovered a lot of times... getting him some ice and letting him play in it at the table helps... but not always... something about the texture, temp etc calms him- so I get him a cup of ice and some extra napkins and let him go for it... today he was too 'tripped' out so even the ice didn't help... he'd have moments he'd be 'upset' then he'd lay on me and smile and love, eat a few bites then get upset again...

he's on the next flight!!! Would just like him back eventually :D :D LOL Yeah discovered a lot of times... getting him some ice and letting him play in it at the table helps... but not always... something about the texture, temp etc calms him- so I get him a cup of ice and some extra napkins and let him go for it... today he was too 'tripped' out so even the ice didn't help... he'd have moments he'd be 'upset' then he'd lay on me and smile and love, eat a few bites then get upset again...

He is in good hands of mine that he might enjoy :D Of course, i'll send him back with me to you to make sure he is safe as sound.

I can suggest you to bring coloring books if he likes to color, read book, two figure toys, or ipod him up to listen some musics (of course, kids musics, not rap or hip hop). Experiment it is best way to find the solution.

He is in good hands of mine that he might enjoy :D Of course, i'll send him back with me to you to make sure he is safe as sound.

I can suggest you to bring coloring books if he likes to color, read book, two figure toys, or ipod him up to listen some musics (of course, kids musics, not rap or hip hop). Experiment it is best way to find the solution.

Yeah I do that... and stickers, he loves stickers-- and most of the time he's a good kiddo-- just I really think it's some places that send him over the edge-- too noisy, too dark, too light, or the smells-- ya know?? So I have a list of places we just don't go as a family. I haven't done the iPod thing before.. might have to try that one-- (if he'll wear headphones)

The airline said b/c he's so little I have to go w/him, to accompany him... :D :D

Hubby can't stand Cracker Barrel either, so he's in good company. :lol:

My parents seem to like the place. I guess it's to their tastes. It's not my kind of place though. I rarely ever go out to eat though.

Ahh good.. at least he enjoy something. Some places such as ? can you give me envision of the places look like...Dont tell me if you take him to Hooter's, lol. Ipod, just give a shot to see whats up.

Yes, you have to accompany him through travel.

Ahh good.. at least he enjoy something. Some places such as ? can you give me envision of the places look like...Dont tell me if you take him to Hooter's, lol. Ipod, just give a shot to see whats up.

Yes, you have to accompany him through travel.

:D:D:D:D No he's not been to Hooters yet... but would probably behave as he's a MAJOR flirt and would be checkin' the girls out!!! (AND would be the center of attention!!)

Well let me think, like I said Cracker Barrel (but I don't think you have those there) ummm Applebees is a little much for him, he did OK in Chili's til the end of the meal... funny he does OK in most Mexican Restaurants... (he's usually the star kid there-- go figure!! My BFF says it's b/c he's in a familiar setting :D) Mostly places that have a LOT of noise in them... he used to trip out going to Walmart-- especially when he was little-- totally overwhelming for him!! to be Honest... I haven't taken him out MUCH lately... except of course when we were travelling and then today... thought I'd try it again. (he was great when we traveled...)

LOL we tried it again this AM for breakfast-- WOW no!!! As soon as we got to the parking lot, he was my sweet boy again-- good as could be! IDK what it is... now he LOVES Texas Roadhouse-- and it's always noisy and crazy in there???

Could be too dark. Could be too much visual stimulation. That's where my daughter has problems. My mother can't handle the noise. Her dementia makes noisy places a problem, but with the dementia, her ears are more sensitive.

Could be too dark. Could be too much visual stimulation. That's where my daughter has problems. My mother can't handle the noise. Her dementia makes noisy places a problem, but with the dementia, her ears are more sensitive.

That's what I'm thinking... just thought he does better if we can sit on the patio somewhere... with his vision problem it might be the lighting, makes him unsure of things and anxious...

;) They're from the south, I was surprised that the other guests were bothered.

Hey, PFH...I resent ur saying "they're from the SOUTH..."...and ur surprised the other guests were bothered....hmmm...Southern people are just as nice and well-mannered as "up north" or wherever. It's just a "few" that don't teach their children manners at home to begin with and they grow up, have children and the cycle starts all over again.....it's the "other patrons" who have to sit and "gag" over their manners....or get up and leave.

Hey, PFH...I resent ur saying "they're from the SOUTH..."...and ur surprised the other guests were bothered....hmmm...Southern people are just as nice and well-mannered as "up north" or wherever. It's just a "few" that don't teach their children manners at home to begin with and they grow up, have children and the cycle starts all over again.....it's the "other patrons" who have to sit and "gag" over their manners....or get up and leave.

:P I knew I'd get one of you guys going. Was being sarcastic. It's not just the "few" as you claim. They're not limited to the south, they're everywhere. :)

It's understandable with a child who has special needs....and taking the child out and getting a box to go is the best thing to do....

My boys are well behaved when we go out to eat, they are older....they are more "lax" at home, tho'....it's a constant reminder about "ur hat"..."napkin"..."ask for the rolls, pls."...but it's the paren't job.

When I adopted one of my boys at age 6...he still ate with his hands. The other 2 were not as bad....but it took a long time to change this behaviour.

It's understandable with a child who has special needs....and taking the child out and getting a box to go is the best thing to do....

My boys are well behaved when we go out to eat, they are older....they are more "lax" at home, tho'....it's a constant reminder about "ur hat"..."napkin"..."ask for the rolls, pls."...but it's the paren't job.

When I adopted one of my boys at age 6...he still ate with his hands. The other 2 were not as bad....but it took a long time to change this behaviour.

yea

Shoot I have to remind my 23 yr old brother those things... LOL he is used to eating quick on lunch and can't just chill and enjoy a meal... now THAT gets me, he's done before I get to start!

My husband is the first one up from the table. He doesn't wait for the rest of us to finish since his family was never that way. They were always a "chow it down quickly and run" type of family. Now, MIL takes an hour to eat anything, but eats in the living room at a chair with no table. We eat at the table and require the kids to use manners, politeness and courtesy at all times.

When at a restaurant, even when little, people have commented on how well behaved my kids were and that they never saw children putting napkins in their lap and things like that. This was in Missouri.

i've always found that the more it cost to eat the better the table manners. chain restaurants and buffets tend be be a free for all. i was at a buffet just the other day and the parents behind me had 3 kids. when they left i saw the food all over the table and floor. too many parents think it is ok for their kids to do the same in a restaurant as they do at home. which makes me wonder what the home looks like

i've always found that the more it cost to eat the better the table manners. chain restaurants and buffets tend be be a free for all. i was at a buffet just the other day and the parents behind me had 3 kids. when they left i saw the food all over the table and floor. too many parents think it is ok for their kids to do the same in a restaurant as they do at home. which makes me wonder what the home looks like

Its possible this could also be the other way around.....doesn't happen at home but let the kids have at it in a public place just because the parents feel like if they are paying, well.......disgusting either way.

They looked at me funny when I asked for a knife and fork at Burger King today. :hmm:

When eating out it is always, always, always MYOB...and minding your own business is you having a good experience with good food. If anything is not to your pleasure, then immediately contact management to express your dissatisfaction. It might be people around you that are bothersome and it is not your dury to correct the problem but mamagement owns you comfort along with good food and service. So speak up and don't take it sitting down!!

Back